Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Automatic shifter overdrive button/ shifter swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Automatic shifter overdrive button/ shifter swap

I searched but came up empty. I have an 03 Tacoma DC, 3.4 Auto, and while getting some random parts at the salvage yard, I came across a 3rd gen 4runner with a black 4wd shifter and Automatic shifter. They looked like the grey ones in my Tacoma, so I pulled them out and bought them.

The 4wd shifter works and fits, and the Auto shifter fits, but I am having an issue with the O/D button. They look the same, and I had two blue wires from my old one, and the the 4runner had two white colore wires. I assumed that meant that it didn't matter which wire I spliced to the other, since neither was marked with a stripe, etc...
Well, my truck goes into O/D and the light turns on when its in O/D, but I have to push the button in twice to get O/D to turn on and twice to get it to turn off.
The only difference, that I just noticed is that I think, the 4runner button actually depresses in and stays in for "on" and pops out for "off", while my old button pressed in and pops out to turn on or off.

Has anyone rewired the O/D button? Can you verify if a 4runner OD button is different than a Tacoma?

I just don't want to have to strip everything apart if its not going to change anything? Do you think the wires are reversed?
It looks cool though
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OD switch is momentary from 2000 or 2001 and later, and a classic on/off for everything earlier. I may not be exactly correct on the year it changed, but the two switches are different. The OD circuit is completely different between the vehicles that use either one, so the switches are not interchangable.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 93 had the classic on/off type switch and I replaced it with a momentary type switch but I'm not sure how its wired because ORS did the wiring harness for it. I don't like the momentary type switch for OD, the on/off is better.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:01 PM

Does momentary mean that it just takes a second to change over? O/D does kick in and kick off, but it just takes two clicks to get it to change on or off.

Thanks for the input. It definetly points me in the right direction.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 PM

The button of the momentary OD switch in your Tacoma does not stay depressed when you press it in. The OD circuit only requires the switch to momentarily break the circuit to turn off/on overdrive, and then return to position. The button on the OD switch of earlier Tacomas, 4Runners & trucks stays in or out to turn overdrive on/off. There is some sort of detent in the earlier switch that accomplishes this, while your switch does not have it. To function correctly, you need the momentary switch.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 AM

That makes perfect sense. On the 4runner switch, when I push it in, the circuit is probably connected, and nothing happens, but when I push it again, it breaks the circuit and O/D turns on or off.
I will go out to the yard to see if I can find another one that works like the Tacoma shifter.
Thanks Yotatech!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 AM

If you need the switch, I have one thats just about new, but I did cut the connectors off the ends of the wires. Just solder two wires and I'll sell it cheap. Click on the link to my swap and there is a picture of it somewhere in there.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:15 AM

Just reading through your 3.4 swap...nice! Do the O/D switches themselves pop out? Is that what you want to sell? I could just paint the Taco one black, but like you said in your thread, paint will most likely not hold up. Let me know what exactly you have..might be interested, or I might just live with two clicks to O/D!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by AustinTaco
Just reading through your 3.4 swap...nice! Do the O/D switches themselves pop out? Is that what you want to sell? I could just paint the Taco one black, but like you said in your thread, paint will most likely not hold up. Let me know what exactly you have..might be interested, or I might just live with two clicks to O/D!
Yes, the switch pops out. Here's what it looks like:

I'd rate it as a medium hassle to swap the switch out. All it takes is remove the shifter console (4 screws, 5 if cup holder type), pop out the switch with a small screwdriver, disconnect two wires and pull carefully. HINT: if you do swap your switch, tie & wrap with tape some fishing line to the ends of the wires so you can pull the new switch wires back in. This will save you from having to disassemble the handle.

If the two click shift doesn't bother you, I'd just leave it.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AustinTaco, question for you. I live in pflugerville, and i have been tryin forever to find a salvage yard. can you tell me where the one you go to is?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Hey Cadman,
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture and info. Yeah, I will just paint my grey switch black and pop it in the next time I take apart the console.

JRob,

I live south, so I go to Capitol City Imports. They are on South Congress, near Slaughter. They bought up a ton of Cash for clunker cars and are parting them out like crazy. I usually deal with Brent, but they are all pretty cool. It's a huge yard, so put your tools in a back pack and take a container to throw your parts in. Pricing is very good too.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 AM

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:15 PM

Automatic Shifter Swap on 3rd Gen

Did a shifter swap with a Amazon shifter that came with a button to fit "most automatic cars"
But not the 4runners oval shaft for transmission.
With some minor internal mods and a O/D button relocation it was doable.
Had to do some MAJOR Dremel work but it went together pretty well and feels and looks SUPER cool.
It also is tighter than a frogs arse after changing the bushings.
Would recommend.
Nothing like hand fitting parts to your rig to make it your own .

Shifter bushing replacement

Needs some Dremel work to fit

Chopped it at largest spot with room for set screws still

Dremel it to receive oval shaft on 3rd gens

Relocated OD button on bottom of pic