Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone up to helping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another obstacle....got 2 broken intake bolts in the new head now. Went to get them out and I had a drill bit break off in one of the bolts and the EZ OUT broke off in the other. Now I have to take it to the machine shop and see if they can get them out. I took pics last night but didn't have a disk to save them to so I can't post them here at school. My computer died too. Whatta week....called around and one shop charges $35/hr to work on the head. Another shop said to bring it by and assess the damage. Had to straighten 2 intake studs too for the intake to set straight on the heads. These heads have been a nightmare. NEVER AGAIN FROM EBAY!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:29 AM

wow man. that really sucks. hopefully you can get it all worked out, or whenever your ready to build that small block we talked about, let me know, haha.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

You get that seal yet for the timing belt? should be gettin pretty close to you
Old 10-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

What do you need me to do about e-bay? I am at your service. Take pictures and give me a complete description of ALL problems. I feel really bad about all of this.

Let me know

Eric
Old 10-22-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ganoid
You may want to call engnbldr and pick his brain a bit about torquing heads down. I learned quiet a bit from the old guy when it comes to head bolts and technique. It may save you another head gasket job in the future. Motor looks really nice.

>>>**"OLD GUY? hey....dang. Oh, all right, so I been around awhile, but everything still works, thank you very much....*LOL**...

*Old, huh? ...heehee...I ain't old, I am well cured!

*I have been sneaking over here for days now waiting to see if this thing even will pull itself once this young feller starts it. I figure the PAINT weighs 200 pounds!..

Sure is pretty though. The good part is that rush we get when they fire up for the first time.....*EB
Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by cootees
Any updates?
I talked to Jeremy today and he is making progress. His computer crpped out on him again. I am sending him some last minute parts so he can get it dropped in next week. He will post up from class tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Just let me know how to porceed with e-bay and those POS heads
Old 10-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Well guys I got the hard drive firing on 4 cylinders and i dropped 2 so its kinda sputtering. Making alot of noises but I got it running on 40 gigs instead of the 80. Things ya do for yotatech addiction....anyways I got the broken bolt issue resolved and got the threads retapped to accept 3-4 threads out of 2 bolts I got out of my bearing caps so at 13ft lbs they should hold with ease...and a little loctite! Had to pull the head off so I trashed them head bolts but Phil is sending me some overnight as soon as they get in at his warehouse. Got most of the wire loom changed out today to a purty blue. Will try and post up pics tomorrow if the hard drive don't shart. Bad news is I'm not going to make it to school for the rest of the week because my babysitter crapped on me too so we have to find another one...but in the meantime its full speed once I get them head bolts in! Got the diff drop in too that I got from 4crawler. Note: HAVE A SECOND PARTNER WHEN INSTALLING THESE! I got the swaybar spacers in fine and the drivers side diff spacer in with ease...but had to loosen the front bolt in the diff and plenty of kicking and cussing to get the passenger side lined up to slide the bolt in. Still got the bj spacers I got from Phil to put in when I get my new cv's. Thats about all til I get these head bolts. Gonna go in tomorrow evening and finish up the wire loom and some last minute preps.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runnerboy97
wow man. that really sucks. hopefully you can get it all worked out, or whenever your ready to build that small block we talked about, let me know, haha.
Nothing is ever easy...at least on my end! haha I'll get it tho. Just might have a problem with lining up the motor by myself but I should be able to get it in a few hours. Small block has been in my dreams for days....hahaha
Old 10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

Man that freakin sucks! If you need any computer help let me know....im a geek..haha Sorry to hear about all the troubles you are having with your build! I hate when things dont go smoothly, but then again, not much in life does. good luck man. Im going to try to make it out to tech in a couple of weeks(if school doesnt kill me), ill keep you updated
Old 10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
You get that seal yet for the timing belt? should be gettin pretty close to you
Just got it yesterday! Thanks a bunch man...oh and the old lady thought I had a letter from a girlfriend so I was teasing her about it and I finally gave it up to her and she only found a gasket inside hahaha
Old 10-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by engnbldr
>>>**"OLD GUY? hey....dang. Oh, all right, so I been around awhile, but everything still works, thank you very much....*LOL**...

*I have been sneaking over here for days now waiting to see if this thing even will pull itself once this young feller starts it. I figure the PAINT weighs 200 pounds!..

Sure is pretty though. The good part is that rush we get when they fire up for the first time.....*EB
It should go faster with the paint because I cleaned at least 50lbs of old grease off it! haha
One thing for sure....definately a unique 3.0! Thanks for the earlier advice Ted...
Old 10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
Man that freakin sucks! If you need any computer help let me know....im a geek..haha Sorry to hear about all the troubles you are having with your build! I hate when things dont go smoothly, but then again, not much in life does. good luck man. Im going to try to make it out to tech in a couple of weeks(if school doesnt kill me), ill keep you updated
Only thing I might need help on is switching all my old files off the old hard drive to the new one...I know a little about building like CPU's and hard drives and memory...oh and I can crash them pretty quick too! Phil let me in on a nice site to check out called the hun...might make the spyware remover go crazy! Going out to Tech ey? Well when I get the 4runner up this weekend then keep me posted and we will try and make a trail ride if ya can! Get a hold of runnerboy and cootees and we'll make a weekend of it!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by callmej75
Only thing I might need help on is switching all my old files off the old hard drive to the new one...I know a little about building like CPU's and hard drives and memory...oh and I can crash them pretty quick too! Phil let me in on a nice site to check out called the hun...might make the spyware remover go crazy! Going out to Tech ey? Well when I get the 4runner up this weekend then keep me posted and we will try and make a trail ride if ya can! Get a hold of runnerboy and cootees and we'll make a weekend of it!
yea man defiantely. If the old one is shot, then there is no way of recovering it sucessfully. You may be able to get some stuff off of it. Ive been through 2 harddrives in 1 year. bad luck
Old 10-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by engnbldr

Oh and I also torqued the heads in the following order:
First pass 25ft lbs in sequence
Second pass 30ft lbs in sequence
Third pass 33ft Lbs in sequence
90* in sequence
90* in sequence
My dad told me about that and said it worked the best. How does that sound to you?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
yea man defiantely. If the old one is shot, then there is no way of recovering it sucessfully. You may be able to get some stuff off of it. Ive been through 2 harddrives in 1 year. bad luck
No more western digitals...done had 2 80 gigs crap out. Sounds like you have my luck! There isn't much on this hard drive after reformatting it anyways.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Heres the broken off bolts before I got them drilled out

Last edited by callmej75; 10-23-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by callmej75
No more western digitals...done had 2 80 gigs crap out. Sounds like you have my luck! There isn't much on this hard drive after reformatting it anyways.
You are having problems with WD's? My WD's have never given me a lick of trouble. All of the samsungs, seagates and a few of the maxtors I have used always crapped out on me. However, I am a formataholic too so my drives tend to stay in pretty good shape.

On a side note. It's looking good. Let me know when you are going to drop the motor in and i'll see if I can come back up there to help you line the thing up.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cootees
You are having problems with WD's? My WD's have never given me a lick of trouble. All of the samsungs, seagates and a few of the maxtors I have used always crapped out on me. However, I am a formataholic too so my drives tend to stay in pretty good shape.

On a side note. It's looking good. Let me know when you are going to drop the motor in and i'll see if I can come back up there to help you line the thing up.
I think its all because mine are stacked so close together in the bays. I try to keep the insides clean as much as I can.
Umm...well Phil just notified me and said the new head bolts are in the mail overnight so thanks to him it will be sooner than later. Hell of a guy...I'm tellin ya. I'm probably going to get that head on tomorrow and try to get things ready to drop in by wednesday. If not then....its definately a go for Saturday! I'm tired of having dreams of little small blocks dancing in my head. Have you got that intake pipe in yet?

Quick Reply: Anyone up to helping?