Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone add a CD changer to stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone add a CD changer to stock radio?

Has anyone added a cd changer to their stock radio? I've got the JBL 10-speaker system, but it only has the single cd slot. I'd like to add a 6-8 cd changer. The dealer is clueless(acts like I'm the first one who's ever wanted this).

Where can I get a changer that works with my system? And where in the interior is a good place to put it?

thanks,

Joe
Old 10-27-2003, 12:40 PM
TOR

Well seeing as it is an 04, and they just came out, I would say there is a very good possiblity you are the first to ask for it. The reason nobody seems to know anything yet is it's a brand new vehicle and the dealers just now got the accessory guides. Most people order that option when they buy the vehicle so that would probably be why they don't know. Best bet is to go to Best Buy or another local stereo shop.

Todd
Old 10-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Anyone add a CD changer to stock radio?

Originally posted by wv4runner
Has anyone added a cd changer to their stock radio? I've got the JBL 10-speaker system, but it only has the single cd slot. I'd like to add a 6-8 cd changer. The dealer is clueless(acts like I'm the first one who's ever wanted this).

Where can I get a changer that works with my system? And where in the interior is a good place to put it?

thanks,

Joe
Joe,

I've done this several times before, added changer to stock radio. Go somewhere that has FREE installation. I always use the mom and pop shop here in my hometown just because of reputation. The little bit of extra dough is worth it. If you are doing it yourself, which doesn't sound like it, all you should need are the parts. You migth consider Crutchfield if you are a DIY er. As far as actually putting one in, it usually involves an adapter harness to work the changer with your stock radio. My 1 disk in the stock radio still worked and so did my changer. Kinda cool. I'd mount it under the front seat out of view and easily accesible.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old 10-27-2003, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically adding a changer to a factory radio requires an FM modulator. Basically you tune your radio to a certain channel and you can hear the CD's playing. This is if the radio wasn't setup to run a changer in the first place.

If it has changer controls on it, you can either add a factory one or there are adapter harnesses that allow a "universal" changer to work.

As the Wabbit sayz, see Crutchfield...

Old 10-27-2003, 02:16 PM

Well seeing as it is an 04, and they just came out, I would say there is a very good possiblity you are the first to ask for it. The reason nobody seems to know anything yet is it's a brand new vehicle and the dealers just now got the accessory guides. Most people order that option when they buy the vehicle so that would probably be why they don't know.
Since the '04's are basically the same as the '03's, I figured that SOMEONE probably asked the dealer before. And I would've loved if this was on the truck when I got it, but there wasn't a vehicle in my region that had exactly what I wanted on it - the one I bought came the closest.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:17 AM
TOR

CD Changer

My point is this, just becuase you walk into a parts department ask for something and they don't have it or don't know about it doesn't mean they are idiots. Most of the time if you have that type of attitude we parts guys know it and then don't really give a damn what you want. I can see the attitude through your post so it wouldn't surprise me if it came through even more so when you went into the dealer. There are hundreds of thousands of parts and accessories for Toyota vehciles both new and old. Don't dump on the guys that do this stuff for a living because they don't know every single one of them right off the top of their head. I am normally not this argumentative when it comes to this kind of stuff but I just couldn't let this one go. I come to this site becuase it allows me to get away from this particular type of attitude. Those out here on Yotatech will vouch for me that I am a nice guy. I am not trying single you out just the attitude itself. Please remember this if and when you go into a parts department and try to get something. Sorry everyone, I am done know just needed to vent a little.

Todd
Old 10-28-2003, 06:56 AM

Before you talk anymore about my attitude, and a situation that you weren't personally involved with, you should understand that I was nothing but kind to the guy behind the desk. And I'm not attacking you, just the way you presume to know what transpired that day. If anything, the parts person was giving ME attitude for troubling him with something I wanted.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:50 AM
TOR

CD Changer

Well if you want to stick to the system you already have in your vehicle here is what you would need to accomplish your task.

08601-00871 6 CD Changer $417.24
08695-00370 Wire Harness $13.42
08695-35801 Bracket for Console $31.72

Freight: $10.00
Total: $472.38

This system is setup to mount in the console only, any other places and you would have to alter the mounting bracket and the wiring harness for it.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:18 AM

You also have to make sure that your stock deck that is in your truck now has CD changer controls. If the deck is not setup for the CD changer, you will have to go with an aftermarket one with an FM modulator. I am not sure what the decks are like it the 04's

As for location: I have a 95 P/u with a 6 disk apline cd changer (FM modulator) and it fit's perfectly in my glove box. That is a place I would reccomend if the changer will fit. I Do not recommend locating it on the floor of the vehicle especially if you live in a wet/snowy climate.

Good luck

Eric
Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM
TOR

CD Changer

I've got the JBL 10-speaker system, but it only has the single cd slot. I'd like to add a 6-8 cd changer.
This system is compatible with the changer.

Todd
Old 10-28-2003, 11:18 AM

Ok, now I've got a stupid question; How do I know if my current head unit is set up to control a changer? Obviously, it has the buttons for radio stations, and in some vehicles, these also control the disk selection. But I don't know enough about car audio to know if they also can control a cd changer. What do I look for?

thanks,
Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 AM

Thanks Tor.

Does the radio buttons control the disk selection? And where in the console the changer is mounted?
Old 10-28-2003, 11:30 AM

Take a look at the accessory on Toyota's Accessory Page If TOR says it'll work then your in luck!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:32 AM
TOR

CD Changer

Wv4runner, give me your VIN and also the other way is to look at the radio and the model number should be stamped either in the upper right hand corner or lower left hand.

Todd
Old 10-28-2003, 11:38 AM

VIN # JTEBT14R140028678

The only number on the head unit is "Toyota 16847"
Old 10-28-2003, 01:03 PM
TOR

CD CHANGER

Your current deck will coincide with the cd changer that Toyota offers. To answer your question on the where it mounts and what controls it? You got the first part of it, the current buttons should control the changer unit. I am trying to find a Runner on our lot that has one in it and take a pic. Anyhow, it should go right under the armrest on the console and I am sure it will take up the whole storage space. I will post a pic or a link to one from my site if I can find one.

Todd
Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 PM

Glove Box Space for Changer

Not sure if all 4th gen Runners have this, but in Limited there is a "Secret Slot" in the glove box with a fold down hinged door that is made to accept either factory CD changer or Factory DVD changer. You will see it if you open the glove box and shine a light in there toward the top.

Just an FYI if you want the changer out of the way.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:29 PM

Thanks Todd, you've been very helpful.

Joe
Old 10-28-2003, 01:44 PM

Uberdog:
Not sure if all 4th gen Runners have this, but in Limited there is a "Secret Slot" in the glove box with a fold down hinged door that is made to accept either factory CD changer or Factory DVD changer. You will see it if you open the glove box and shine a light in there toward the top.
Is this the slot you're talking about?

Old 10-28-2003, 01:49 PM

Thumbs up

Yep, that's the one. In my owners manual it lists this as the location of the 6 Disc DVD changer option... I was PSYCHED, until I found out that the nobody knew anything about it. Even so, that is what the slot is designed for.

I am guessing that there is an option available in Japan or other countries (or future production runs) to actually put something in here, but last time I checked there was nothing available from Toyota here in the states.

If you don't have the Navi system it may not matter, but with the navi this is the only option.

Quick Reply: Anyone add a CD changer to stock radio?