Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

any 3rd gen owners tried the trail carnage skid plates yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any 3rd gen owners tried the trail carnage skid plates yet?

i have been looking to upgrade my armor on the bottom of my 2000 4runner and until recently i couldnt find any. i came across this set at trail carnage C:\Documents and Settings\kerryha\Local Settings\Temp\T.O.M.~TrailCarnage OffRoad Manufacturing.htm and was wondering if anyone has tried these? The front one looks a bit low? i know off road soloutions is currently working a similar style but there's seems to be tucked up a little closer to the frame but i dont think it will be available for purchase until sometime in mid october. any thoughts?
kerry
Old 08-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Kerry,

I know Gadget has tried one or both pieces, and said they held up pretty damn well. Search around for his posts on it. I really like the look of both of them, and think I'll buy the set when I get the money for it. I don't know of other people making similar product.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 AM

here's the link to the off road soloutions version http://www.offroadsolutions.com/imag...s/img_0092.jpg
Old 08-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Do you know if it bolts onto the preexisting holes on the frame, like the Trail Carnage one.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:00 AM

i believe so, but as i said there not quite ready for production (probably in a month or so)the're still finalizing the design but it looks pretty cool so far?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Its hard to tell from the pic, but does it integrate well with the stock skid plate? It looks pretty cool so far, definitley curious what the final design/cost will be...
Old 08-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

If you guys can hold out I know the guys in AZ are working on one hell of a set. The have been trail testing them and getting feedback from guys all over the country from everything to rocks to trail riding. They might be a little more than some others, but they are doing their homework and have eliminated the extra space around the IFS, so no ground clearance or approach angle will be compromised. There will be room for a 1" diff drop as well. Do a search and you will probably find the thread, it was a huge one. I came upon it the other day, but now have lost it.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Austin,

I know AZRAIN and Steve S. and others were working on skid plates for a while now. They've been pretty busy, and I know they were only making a limited number in the first batch. I definitely don't mean to disrespect to them, but if its a matter of getting some protection soon, I'm not going to wait around for their product. If I see something that is quality material, like the trail carnage stuff appears to be, and Gadget has testified to, I'll probably just go ahead and get it.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Just ordered the set over the weekend so will be a couple of weeks before can try them out. Looks like they are well designed and certainly will be better than the stock tin. Wish had some better armor over the gas tank.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Cool, you'll have to let me know what your impressions are. BTW, are you a former NH resident? I am, and recognize the ol' state motto on your sig...
Old 09-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

FedEx just delivered both the front and rear skid plates. They look even more impressive real time than in the pics, and the workmanship is really quality. Looks like an OEM product. Hope can get some time this weekend to get them on. By-the-way Mad Chemist, am not from NH, just adopted the motto as part of my side business logo, and for that matter as a way of life.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Good deal- Hey, do us a favor- Take some measurements of the ground clearance between the stock and Trail Carnage plates?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the ORS one at the jambo in Colorado and it looked awesome and appeared to work well.

Koop also had a full length Trail Carnage one. I was behind him a couple of times and he thumped it good without issue.

The TC one is as East Coast plate, full length and holy.

The ORS one, if the production is like the test, will be a nuke proof West Coast Rockcrawler.

Aren't you close to ORS, well at least in state?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:42 PM

i saw gadgets at the ec4rj. they looked nice. i am also looking for some new skids but probably not before next spring/summer... im putting on a diff drop in less than 2 weeks, hopefully i can bend the stock skids around or something so they fit. they are already beat to crap and bent all around so..

MO-runner, which ones did you get?
Old 09-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Re: any 3rd gen owners tried the trail carnage skid plates yet?

Originally posted by H-man
i have been looking to upgrade my armor on the bottom of my 2000 4runner and until recently i couldnt find any. i came across this set at trail carnage C:\Documents and Settings\kerryha\Local Settings\Temp\T.O.M.~TrailCarnage OffRoad Manufacturing.htm and was wondering if anyone has tried these? The front one looks a bit low? i know off road soloutions is currently working a similar style but there's seems to be tucked up a little closer to the frame but i dont think it will be available for purchase until sometime in mid october. any thoughts?
kerry
I've got the Trailcarnage plates. Love 'em, he actually used my 4Runner to make them. The 4Runner on his website is mine. The plates are top quality. It make sacrifice 1" of ground clearance b/c they were designed to work with a diff drop, but they are extremely durable. Give him a call.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

I am closer to ORS. However, in Washington we've got alot more mud than rocks, its a pretty wet environment, so I'd want the holes for mud/water drainage.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:32 PM

I have both TC plates.

I got the second belly skid he made and had it at the Jam.

Not to long ago I got an improved front skid. I tried it out at GWNF not long ago.

Both are very well done and are very strong.

You do not give up an inch in the front. It is the same hieght as the stock one to clear the control arm mounts. The diff drop fills in the space that would be there anyway.

If you get the plates from Tom at TC be sure to tell him I sent you.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-10-2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
I saw the ORS one at the jambo in Colorado and it looked awesome and appeared to work well.
Who had that? Leif in the beige Taco?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
I have both TC plates.

I got the second belly skid he made and had it at the Jam.

Not to long ago I got an improved front skid. I tried it out at GWNF not long ago.

Both are very well done and are very strong.

You do not give up an inch in the front. It is the same hieght as the stock one to clear the control arm mounts. The diff drop fills in the space that would be there anyway.

If you get the plates from Tom at TC be sure to tell him I sent you.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
OOps, realized that after posting. You are correct, no ground clearance is lost.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:45 PM

Grant had it on his red Taco. We got to talking about it after I said how much I liked my Rockstomper.

The construction was fundamentally different than any others I had seen. He drug it pretty good and that was the day that crash and dragging metal were the sounds of the day.

H-man is in Colorado, looks to be pretty close to ORS.

Perhaps this is the end of your plate redesigns, or, if you are like me, you will just keep reworking the current one every year.

Quick Reply: any 3rd gen owners tried the trail carnage skid plates yet?