Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another New Guy w/ questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:57 PM
ORB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen suspension question

I just picked up my 4runner a few weeks ago and I love the damn thing (besides the transponder system which has been a headache). It's a 1999 4Runner Limited 4wd. Anyway, I've often visited this site in the past because I had a prerunner and there are some taco guys here. Over the last week or so, I've been reading this site for countless hours trying to figure out what's gonna happen to my new truck. I've determined a lift is first on the list (I did the alarm already). I've spent a good part of this weekend in the TRD lift thread, and most of today going back and forth on the 2 page Lift FAQ. I am scheduled to get the revtek lift in the first part of may, but since I have so much time, I decided to read a bit and it seems as though revtek isn't what I'm looking for. The tundra lift sounds like the best set up, but it's a little out of my price range, and I have to get this professionally installed and I probably won't remember all the parts and what goes where. So here's what I've come up with...

Front
-cornfed spacer w/ diff drop kit (what size to balance OME rear? 2.5" or 3")

Rear
-OME 891
-OME N86

I'm basically looking for a comfortable (as comfortable as a truck can get) 2.5" lift or so that will NOT sag, or do so very little. Seems like the revtek spacers caused some sagging in the rear for some people. It also sounds like the stock front springs are good enough on 99 runners according to a member, but should I get different shocks? I see a number of people with a similar set up with spacers in the front and springs in the rear, please leave any input/suggestions. If you got this far, Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 AM

i got dibs on your coils if you replace them
Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

How often will your 4runner see the offroad? What kind of conditions?

If you are the occasional offroader I don't see why the cornfeds wouldn't work.

Me personally, I had a lot of butt sag and the front springs were begining to feel bouncy. I offroad quite often and have put the stock springs through a lot. So I went for the OME all around. The difference in ride is astounding. If you can afford it, I recommend OME all the way or Tundra coils.

The 1" diff drop spacer will work fine for any lift you get.

You might also consider a panhard lowering bracket for the back. It made a noticeable difference in the rear.

To be honest, since you are doing cornfed in the front and OME in the rear, you don't have to spend too much more to get OME or Tundra on the front.

Here are pics of mine b4 and after

Before

After

Last edited by Mickdady; 03-15-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 AM
ORB

Thanks, Nice 4Runner...

How often will your 4runner see the offroad? What kind of conditions?
I don't go very often, and when I do it is mainly dirt trails and sand.

How long have you had OME all around? No sagging? Is the ride rough with 892's? I don't know what the panhard lowering bracket is, but I'll go find out now. I guess I'll do a little more reading. Please continue to share...
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Actually I have only had it about a week. The ride is very plush. No sagging on mine however the back is a little high. I imagine after a few weeks it will level out.

The panhard bar runs across the back of your rear axle. it should sit parallel to the highway. When you lift the rear of your 4runner it is oriented slightly upward. This pulls the rear axle slightly to the passenger side. As far as I could tell you could drive on it that way with no ill affects but mine cornered funny until I replaced it.

check out http://www.sonoransteel.com/
Old 03-15-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mickdady
.... If you can afford it, I recommend OME all the way or Tundra coils.
There is a thread in the "For sale" section that i posted earlier this morning. its a link to ebay that a seller is selling toyota coils with bilstein shocks. You might wanna check that out if your intrested in what Mickdadt recommended.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:42 PM
ORB

thanks