Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome to our new member from Italia..
Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

rock slide, just have one quick question. I"m about to do this mod myself. got all the parts i need. on the projector, there's two red wires that i'm guessing its for the high beam shade? how did you hook that up with the ballast? the ballast wiring have plug in for the ballast, one for ground, one to the battery, one female inser for the stock H4 3prong headlight plug, and one other 2 prong hookup. is that the one for the high beam? I thought the stock H4 3 prongs are for both low and high? I see in your pick looks like you did hook the two red wires to something.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BUZY
rock slide, just have one quick question. I"m about to do this mod myself. got all the parts i need. on the projector, there's two red wires that i'm guessing its for the high beam shade? how did you hook that up with the ballast? the ballast wiring have plug in for the ballast, one for ground, one to the battery, one female inser for the stock H4 3prong headlight plug, and one other 2 prong hookup. is that the one for the high beam? I thought the stock H4 3 prongs are for both low and high? I see in your pick looks like you did hook the two red wires to something.

The H4 3 prong plug on your harness is basically a signal wire for your ballasts to tell the HID kit when to be on high or low beam. Without seeing your harness, I would still have to guess that the 2 prong hookup is for the high beam shade. You have one for each side, right?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct. The red wires activate the motor to lower/raise the cutoff shield when you turn your high beams on and off.

I don't remember off the top of my head which is pos and which is neg...I'll have to get back to you on that.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the info. hope it works.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

FWIW, if you're looking at the back of the FX projector, the right red wire is the negative wire.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

got it. I"m waiting for the silicone to dry. I hope the beam alignment isn't too off.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM

hey rock slide did u take your pics at night behind kmart in manahawkin by chance?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rid3snmxlafx
hey rock slide did u take your pics at night behind kmart in manahawkin by chance?
I did take those night shots behind a kmart building...but it was here in AL.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM

ohhh lol cause i work at a kmart down in jersey and it looks exaclty like that behind it... lights look sick btw
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 PM

does anyone know of a thrend or someone who put hids in there yota pickup with the sealed lights... i want to put hids in my truck but i dont wanna retrofit those projectors into my lights do i have to buy lights that arnt sealed and put hids in them that way?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rid3snmxlafx
does anyone know of a thrend or someone who put hids in there yota pickup with the sealed lights... i want to put hids in my truck but i dont wanna retrofit those projectors into my lights do i have to buy lights that arnt sealed and put hids in them that way?
I'm not gonna jump on you about searching but... LOL

The application for the Truck is the same as the 84-89. 90-92 4 runners (with the sealed beam) indeed the same rule would apply to the 1gen trucks with the round headlamps.

You need to get an H4 conversion kit two of the best ones are the Bosch kit (pair of lenses and H4 bulbs) @$90cdn or the Hella kit (sold individually w/out bulbs) @40cdn each I think. Than you just get an HID H4 kit and bob's yer uncle.
If you want to use the projector type HIDs your only option no matter what is to hack and cut.

For the 1gen crowd Hella makes an h4 conversion lens kit.

If you do the H4 conversion kit no matter if you switch to HID or keep the Halogen type you must aim the headlights both are much brighter than the sealed beam type and will be dangerous to others if not properly aimed.

Hope this helped
Old 04-17-2010, 04:16 AM

Rock slide, how did you get your brights to work? I just did my install on monday and they work (after replacing original set of ballasts), but when i turn the brights on, the lights just turn off, but the flap that allows more light out goes down. I disabled the DRL but to no avail. Brights dont work.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

That's odd. If you turn your brights on, the lights go off...what happens when you turn your brights back off? Do your lights come back on or do they stay off? It's def a wiring issue of some sort...just not sure what exactly.

I purchased a complete plug-n-play wiring harness off ebay for $30. Said it was made specifically for FX Bi-xenon retrofits. Took maybe 5 mins to run the wiring and connect everything. Everything has functioned great since day one.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM

When i turn the high beams off the lights come back on. I can hear the flap being moved down when i turn the high beams on but while the flaps are being moved my lights just shut off. the bulbs lose power, essentially, when i turn the highs on.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM

subscribed for future mods
Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Wyo, did you buy a PnP wiring kit or build your own?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:34 PM

I bought a PNP off ebay. It has the dual relay one for high one for low. It plugs into one of the original light sockets to get power. And then work exactly like the original plugs. Original bulbs plugged in work exactly the same as before. The turn the lows on when switched on, then turn them off when highs are turned on. Ive figure out that i just have to add power to the bulb when the highs go on. Just havnt done it. The lights are fantastic other wise. Any ideas?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 AM

Rock Slide, Nice work on this retro! This is one of the cleanest looking conversions I have seen on a 3rd gen! I am about to tackle a similar retrofit in my 3rd gen, and had some questions for you.

1. What did you use to cut off the FX projector brackets? Did you have to be careful not to damage the projector base while doing this?

2. To mount the projector, did you remove the 4 small factory screws, and put in extended screws in their place? How long of screws did you use?

3. Was it hard to mount the projector in the housing so that it was perfectly level? Any tips on how to do this?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whiplash Willy
Rock Slide, Nice work on this retro! This is one of the cleanest looking conversions I have seen on a 3rd gen! I am about to tackle a similar retrofit in my 3rd gen, and had some questions for you.

1. What did you use to cut off the FX projector brackets? Did you have to be careful not to damage the projector base while doing this?

2. To mount the projector, did you remove the 4 small factory screws, and put in extended screws in their place? How long of screws did you use?

3. Was it hard to mount the projector in the housing so that it was perfectly level? Any tips on how to do this?

Thanks. FWIW, 2yrs later and everything is still working flawlessly.

1. I used A Dremel w/ a variety of bits. The small cutoff wheel worked wonders. If you don't have a dremel, I suggest you borrow or purchase one. I always seem to find uses for mine.

2. Yes, I removed the 4 factory screws and used four long 4" screws in their place.

3. IMO, mounting the projector to the housing so that it sat perfectly level was the hardest part of the whole process. Only tip I can give you, measure 10x and drill the mounting holes once. Patience is the key here.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-20-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Another HID Bi-xenon Retrofit Install *PICS*