Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ANOTHER exhaust question, this time very simple!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANOTHER exhaust question, this time very simple!!!

Ok I've seen all these exhaust threads, haven't looked at the exhaust tech page yet but I will tonight. I'm contemplating on whether to get a new exhaust or not, or even a new muffler for that matter. And I was wondering if you guys could just answer these questions:

1) Should I get a new whole exhaust system, or just a muffler? Or just a tip? And the pros and cons of each.

2) I see all these big name mufflers like dynomax, borla, bla bla bla. But in reality, do I order these online and take them to a local muffler shop and ask them to put it on? Or do I just go to the muffler shop and ask if they carry them?

3) If I go for the custom exhaust route, what should I look for in an exhaust (ie where it bends, size, whatever)? How much is a good price?

4) What the hell is a glass pack?

Thanks a lot guys. These should explain a lot to me.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust

Since I am going with a custom rear bumper soon and the spare tire will be mounted on it, I am going to go with a custom dual exhaust since I will then have the extra space under the rig.

In your case, I would decide on what you are going for then go from there. Are you looking for increased hp, or just that mean sound? If the latter, buy a flowmaster, weld it in, cheap lower sound. If you want both, I say go with a custom exhaust set up. You can expect to spend $250-$500 depending on how much or little you add, not counting headers if you go with a true dual exhaust.

My 0.02

Brian
Old 09-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

1. Depends on what kind of shape your surrent exhaust is in. Is it rusted out in places or is it still o.k.?

2. Listen to the exhaust sound clips on Corey's page. You'll get an idea for what each sound like and then you can make a decision. Its really a matter of personal preference. In all actuallity, one of the best sounding and best performing is also one of the cheapest, aka the Dynomax ~$40 from Summit Racing, then just get a local shop to weld it on. Or, call some local shops and tell them you like the sound of a certain mufler and see what they have, and how much they will charge to install it.

3. The stock tubing on 3rd gens is 2 1/4 inch, which just so happens to be the optimum size for our engines, so its really just a matter of how much you want to spend and what you want it to sound like. A good custom shop would route a new system really close to the stock configuration, and try to keep from making any sharp bends, the only tricky part is getting over the rear axle without making the suspension bind on the pipe, or making it bend too sharp.

4. <96> has a glasspack, these are "old school" mufflers that have been around for a very long time. They perform and sound great and are reasonbly priced, but don't last long if you live in the snowbelt, ie prone to rust quickly.

My suggestion would be to figure out exactly what you expect from a new exhaust. As far as total price, its really gonna depend on how much new pipe you really need. If you walk in to a muffler shop with your new Brand X muffler and ask them to just weld it in for you, you should not pay more than $50-80...If you don't want an all stainless system, but DO end up needing new pipe, probably one of your best bargains is to buy the Jardine cat-back system (around $230 from performance products or truckperformance.com) and just bolt it on yourself. Its a pretty well made set-up. Sorry this is so long, just lots of points to cover...Let me know if you have any more Q's...
Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM

Like Toyo_Runner96 said, it depends on what you want to get out of it.

1. Pros and Cons to custom or pre-made. Custom allows you to select the tubing size and muffler you want and exit placement/tip should you want something that is different that stock. Generally, results vary as much as the talent (or lack of) of the welder that builds it for you. Pre-made is good because it's already made to bolt right in, usually using common hand tools. Of course you are limited to what the manufacturer has to offer for your vehicle. Your average muffler shop will crush bend your bends while the high dollar pre-made systems are usually mandrel bent.

2. Typically you can find mufflers, resonators, cats, etc online for a lot less than your average muffler shop prices. Sometimes you can get a deal at a muffler shop when they build you up a complete "custom exhaust system". In my area, the average muffler shop carries two or three different "name brands" and usually only a few standard sizes of each so selection may be limited, but they should know what will fit your vehicle.

3. If you go custom, you need to work with a shop that will build a system to your needs obviously. If you say that you want a quiet system made with this brand muffler, they should be able to tell you if in fact it's going to be quiet, etc. Same goes for tubing diameter. If they know their stuff, they will recommend the right tubing size for your vehicle. Good price? Depends on too many factors, but like others have said $250 on up.

4. A glass pack is a resonator, same thing as a muffler although they are typically used as a sort of 'pre' muffler. They vary by their internal design. Some have a louvered core (bad, bad, bad) that restricts airflow as much as your common FlowMaster does while others have a straight thru design with a perforated core. The ones with a perforated core are good for quieting a loud exhaust and are often used to eliminate the 2000rpm drone that some mufflers tend to make.

Last edited by emr88; 09-08-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:43 PM

I called around here in Lafayette to get a new muff put on:beaver: muff as in muffLER. heh,heh ANYWHO they all said they wouldn't install a muffler unless you bought it from them, and half of them didn't carry Borla, or dynomax, or anything like that.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:48 PM

Wow thanks for all those loong replies guys. EXACTLY what I was looking for!! Except for you INsr5runner, you kinda were just in the way haha!! j/k. But yea, from what it looks like, my pipes are fine, I lived in Az before I moved to IN/MI so I should be cool. Anywho, I think I'm probably just gonna go for a muffler, maybe I'll look at the shops around here, also if you guys reccommend any bolt-on mufflers online? Or are there only weld-on ones?

Thanks for the replies again, this should go into a new Exhaust FAQ section

*hint *hint COREY
Old 09-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

You could buy one, hacksaw out the old one and use muffler clamps to bolt it in, but you won't get a perfect seal, and will be more prone to rust. You are on the right path, call all of the local shops and see what they offer just to replace the stock muffler with one of your liking...

A few other comments about tips. They can alter the sound, especially if they are resonaotrs, which will slightly baffle the sound. If they are just larger and open, they have sort of a megaphone effect on the tone. Its not an exact science, so just be careful. If you put a nice pretty tip on there, you'll be afraid of banging it up offroad, too.

Watch out for this guy, though:
Old 09-08-2003, 04:40 PM

Ok I just checked magnaflows website......dont' have a clue what to look for haha.

What should I look for? What size inlet/outlet?

But the sound I liked the most was Christians glass pack.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob,

Ah, late to the muffler party, eh?!?!?

I had a muffler shop (connection through a friend) fab up a Dynomax muff to new pipes and flanges on my former 99. It sounded good w/ the exception of the Monza pacesetter resonator tip. It exhibited this "whooshing" sound when you WOT'd it.

For whatever reason, they opened it up to 2.5" vs. the 2.25" inlet/outlet that I purchased. They said my pipes were 2.5". This is a subject great debate that I'm surprised others have forgotten about.

The net effect of opening it to 2.5" was that i got more freeway HP but lost the backpressure and therefore lost torque too.

whatever you get, listen to the sound clips on ol' corey's page and see if you can find some locals that have 4runners w/ aftermarket mufflers.

after having the dynomax w/ the monza pacesetter tip, i will tell you that I really liked the sound of the magnaflow. mertztr has one (i think the 18" one) and it sounds really throaty but not so loud on the inside. i believe one of the guys here sold that one to him and he bought a 24" one which is more like stock but has a little throaty sound. ask tom and he'll tell you the deal.

bob
Old 09-09-2003, 04:29 AM

I'm wanting to go with ahigher flow 18" or so muffler so it's not that loud in the cab, but I still get the higher flow. Do I want to look for a muffler that's total length is 18" or the main body is 18"?

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 04:58 AM

The cheapest place I've found the dynomax mufflers it Summit Racing! Has anyone else found anybody cheaper?

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 05:09 AM

Hey Chris lemme know when you find a good cheap one
Old 09-09-2003, 05:16 AM

Well, I'm looking at two different ones and based on the response I get back from Dynomax on the CFM rating of the 20" one, I'll decide which one to go with. Right now here's the two part numbers:

1) Ultra Flow SS #17271 $101.95 966 CFM 14" body
2) Ultra Flow SS #17286 $139.95 ??? CFM 20" body

I'm not wanting a loud muffler, just one that increases the flow rate for more power. I've got an email in to Dynomax to find out the flow rate of the longer one, and if it's close I'm going to get the longer one for sure.

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 05:34 AM

Well I'm sorta goin for a good deep sound more than performance. But if the dynomax one sounds nice I might get it. What is CFM btw? And why would you want the longer one?
Old 09-09-2003, 05:37 AM

CFM is the flow rate of the muffler or cat. The higher the number the less restrictive it is. I'm wanting to go with a longer one, because it reduces the sound. I'm not getting a muffler and cat for sounds purposes. I just want more power, so if the longer one flow close to the shorter one, then I'm going for the longer one, and the highest CFM cat I can find.

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 06:05 AM

I love the sound of the Vortex. Anyone know where to get it?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:06 PM

i just got back from having a Dynomax SuperTurbo installed, and i love it! the rest of the exhaust was left stock. i don't really notice any huge power gains, but i needed a new muffler anyway, and the sound is great! nice deep, mellow tone, even when you get on it . . . never "ricey," if you'll excuse the phrase.

on my '97, i had a Gibson (i liked that) and a MagnaFlow (i HATED that!). the MF was loud, obnoxious, and blat blat blat sounding.

the shop had the muffler in stock, and i paid $113 for everything, including getting an aftermarket EGO welded in. Jack's Mufflers in San Diego if anyone's interested . . . great guys!

creed
Old 09-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by INsr5runner
I love the sound of the Vortex. Anyone know where to get it?
I think Meinike is the only place you can get the Vortex...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Take a look at Corey's exhaust page. I had the 14" Magnaflow and it was obnoxiously loud. So I wentwith a 24" Magnaflow. Much better, but still much louder than stock. There are sound clips of both on Corey's exhaust page.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I hear great things about Magnaflows. The guys at the exhaust shop I go to swear by them.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER exhaust question, this time very simple!!!