Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amsoil vs. TRD (air filter)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil vs. TRD (air filter)

I know an air filter is for the most part an air filter but which one should I get. I've heard a lot of people using the Amsoil but haven't heard much on the TRD...is this for a reason?

I was just surfing trdparts4u.com trying to find something else to buy and ran across this and realized that its about time to replace the filter in the rig now. The only mods I have done performance wise is the deckplate. Should I stick with stock, go with amsoil or go with the TRD one?

I've searched and only found some reviews of them seperately, none of them were compared. I know the Amsoil is a good filter but I'm just curious how all of these can really be THAT different.

Thanks,

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 07-13-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the trd is more like a k&n, and the amsoil is foam, thats the difference
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 PM

if the TRD is anything like the KandN that came on my 2000 from the first owner, i have to agree with most who posted that the kandn is crap. I change oil religiously at 3k and holding all variables constant (and changing oil filters), my oil will still coming out relatively dirty. well, switched to OEM filter for some desert driving and lo an behold, last oil change the oil was still pretty friggin clean. I plan on selling the kandn and buying an amsoil asap.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sswearin1
if the TRD is anything like the KandN that came on my 2000 from the first owner, i have to agree with most who posted that the kandn is crap. I change oil religiously at 3k and holding all variables constant (and changing oil filters), my oil will still coming out relatively dirty. well, switched to OEM filter for some desert driving and lo an behold, last oil change the oil was still pretty friggin clean. I plan on selling the kandn and buying an amsoil asap.
Eeek! That doesn't sound too good.

Anybody else have any experience? I change my oil religiously as well at 3k...I do it some of the time and others I have the dealer do it because of lack of time or cooperative weather and its come out clean most of the time with just the OEM filter, I have nothing against the OEM filter but given the fact that its getting pretty dirty I am just wondering if there is a better filtration system out there.

Keep the ideas comin guys!

Fink
Old 07-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Did I read that correctly? You're saying that your crankcase oil cleanliness is related to air filter type (OEM vs. K&N)? I think not...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Ya know, I was just thinking about that too...that doesn't make any sense. I'm thinking I'll just go with Amsoil seeing as how I've never heard anything bad about them.

Fink
Old 07-14-2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Ya know, I was just thinking about that too...that doesn't make any sense. I'm thinking I'll just go with Amsoil seeing as how I've never heard anything bad about them.

Fink

While you are getting an Amsoil air filter, get a few quarts of the ASL 10w30 and STOP doing oil changes at 3k. This oil is rated for 25k.

Yes, I run it in my '99 Taco. It has 165k on it.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:10 AM

well, i'm not a wrencher, just learning, but what else could it be? I noticed a difference, but am willing to take other suggestions. help me learn.... it appeared to be the only changed variable, but it could be me playing around with different oil filters. so, you don't think that dust through the airbox could make it into the engine?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:50 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by sswearin1
... so, you don't think that dust through the airbox could make it into the engine?
Not through the air intake. IF you were loading the cylinders with unfiltered air the dirt MIGHT find it's way into the oil, but by that time you'd have scored cylinders and worn piston rings.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 AM

thanks, that makes sense becasue the air has to combust the fuel before it really makes contact with the oil. must have been the oil filter changes. i still hate the kandn tho.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

IN my experience, and from what I've read on YT and on TTORA, the amsoil is great at filtration, but isn't as great in air flow. The K&N's and TRD (same basic idea), are not as good at filtration, but great on flow. Paper elements are great at filtration but suck (no pun intended) when it comes to the air flow. I think this is basically true across the board. I have run both paper and the TRD (I have the TRD now) and I prefer the TRD because of the added air flow. Having no expereince with Amsoil, I really don't know. Oh, and except in the cases of running an engine with no filter whatsoever, I can't think of how the engine oil would be affected by the AIR filter... Just my two cents....
Old 07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

I can't imagine changing my oil at 25k since that would take me two and a half years of driving and there's no way I'd keep the oil in a motor that long. Even if 25k is alright,isn't there a limit on the time an oil should be in an engine and how often would you change the filter since that won't withstand 25k miles.
I just use Mobile 1 syn with a Puralator PureOne filter and change it out every 7500 miles which ends up being about every 6-7 months.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I was thinking about that 25K thing, too and I really would be curious about that out here in the desert, since it gets so much hotter, and I would think thermal viscosity breakdown would be a problem (I learned that "thermal viscosity breakdown" thing from an oil commercial ). I wonder if the 25K thing still applies. Not that there is any way you would catch me waiting that long between changes, but it does make me curious....
Old 07-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Also Amsoil is not a synthetic right? Isn't it a very complex dino oil?

Unless you change your oil past 10k I can't see the benefits of Amsoil over Mobile 1 since Amsoil costs more per quart and isn't readily available at any parts store so it's hard to convince me of using it but there's plenty of people that love the stuff.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

He does oil tests, additive tests, and air filter tests, From his results the BEST filter to use is the Cheap Paper OEM Filter.

Ha go figure

Sorry amsoil and K&N guys but your filter sucks... To much dirt in that is !
Old 07-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

My friend did a filter test that was similar and he couldn't tell the diff between the Amsoil filter vs the K&N and didn't like either results and just sticks with OEM.

Amsoil people do talk down the K&N but both are subpar in the filtering department but the K&N shows better flow. I'll just stick with OEM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

He does oil tests, additive tests, and air filter tests, From his results the BEST filter to use is the Cheap Paper OEM Filter.

Ha go figure

Sorry amsoil and K&N guys but your filter sucks... To much dirt in that is !
I never thought anyone on this forum would say amsoil sucks. When I used their products I wasn't impressed too. I'll stick to Napa and OEM filters.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think he really meant that. Amsoil is an amazing product line overall, he was just saying in this case OEM is better.

This is a good thread, all of you other guys out there go ahead and post your opinions...lets see what everbody has to say.

Fink
Old 07-15-2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Also Amsoil is not a synthetic right? Isn't it a very complex dino oil?

Unless you change your oil past 10k I can't see the benefits of Amsoil over Mobile 1 since Amsoil costs more per quart and isn't readily available at any parts store so it's hard to convince me of using it but there's plenty of people that love the stuff.

Amsoil IS full synthetic. To add info, 25k OR 1 year. Whichever is first. Just change the oil filter at 12.5K or 6 months.

Last edited by krasher; 07-15-2005 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure I could go that long without changing my oil...I'm accustomed to changing to it every 3-5k, that just seems too long to me...

I'm using Mobil 1 Full Syn 5W30 and I just change it every 3k usually...I figure $15 bucks every 3k to ensure that I've got clean oil and a healthy engine is not really too big of an expense.

Fink

Quick Reply: Amsoil vs. TRD (air filter)