Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Alright men teach this boy how to negotiate pricing....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently the off-road package isnt offered how i want it. Its the sport package. I get bigger wheels, and the awesome hood scoop...

I dont exactly get the color I want tho, but its all good.

I really wanted Speedway Blue, but dad said it was too flashy.

We went and TD'd Titans and Frontiers. I drove, then dad drove. Dad said the Titan was too big (I told him "Its too big, and its ĊĊĊĊin ugly", which pissed him off). Dad said hte Frontier was perfect for me, and better than the taco. I looked at him and said "Are you ĊĊĊĊin serious? This thing is hideous, gets worst gas mileage than the Taco, has a shorter bed, (and I started naming off things that I didnt like about it)". I got intot he 4Runner and started driving towards the Yota dealer, as hes running bitching after me.

The only gripe I have about the Taco is the stereo system. Its gonna be damn near impossible for me to put in an aftermarket HU...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Apparently the off-road package isnt offered how i want it. Its the sport package. I get bigger wheels, and the awesome hood scoop...

I dont exactly get the color I want tho, but its all good.

I really wanted Speedway Blue, but dad said it was too flashy.

We went and TD'd Titans and Frontiers. I drove, then dad drove. Dad said the Titan was too big (I told him "Its too big, and its ĊĊĊĊin ugly", which pissed him off). Dad said hte Frontier was perfect for me, and better than the taco. I looked at him and said "Are you ĊĊĊĊin serious? This thing is hideous, gets worst gas mileage than the Taco, has a shorter bed, (and I started naming off things that I didnt like about it)". I got intot he 4Runner and started driving towards the Yota dealer, as hes running bitching after me.

The only gripe I have about the Taco is the stereo system. Its gonna be damn near impossible for me to put in an aftermarket HU...
Sorsche or whatever they are called is suppose to have a kit out soon. I think metra's is out now....
Old 04-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rivalred
Sorsche or whatever they are called is suppose to have a kit out soon. I think metra's is out now....
Uhg, Ive used their stuff before and couldnt stand it. Didnt match too well, or fell apart too easily, or both....
Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 PM

Here is what my dad did. says to the sales man "well before i sighn the papers, Ide liek to go have a look at the new FORD F-150 ( HAHAHAHAH HE SAYS FORD) And the sales guy goes" WOO WOO Im sure we can offer a better deal than them" HAHA so my dad ended up getting the guy down about another 2350 or something like that,and got free side steps and a few other free things HAHA try it out
Old 04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
Here is what my dad did. says to the sales man "well before i sighn the papers, Ide liek to go have a look at the new FORD F-150 ( HAHAHAHAH HE SAYS FORD) And the sales guy goes" WOO WOO Im sure we can offer a better deal than them" HAHA so my dad ended up getting the guy down about another 2350 or something like that,and got free side steps and a few other free things HAHA try it out
My dad did that for his tundra..he targetted a new guy, got him to ĊĊĊĊ up on everything, bitched to the manager, and got a whole ĊĊĊĊload of free stuff...

I found a new guy, but he was followed around by anohter person who actually knew his stuff...doH
Old 04-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. By looking at your profile, I'd say you're in the neighborhood of 16 years old, depending on when your birthday is. And you're getting an 05 Taco by selling a 3rd gen runner, and your parents giving you 10 grand. I don't even need to elaborate any more, but enjoy the truck........
Old 04-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Banned

I had the some money by saving up every penny I had. At one point, I had my eyes set on the 3G my 'rents had. Bought it off of them for $17k. Last month, I found a cheap car, so I sold hte 3G back to them for $19,5 (added mods, they insisted on the extra money). The deal witht he car fell through, so I was left with cash and no car.

For some odd reason, my dad randomly said he didnt want his tacoma anymore, and that he would give me that on trade in, and however much to make it an even $10k, and however much money i had total, I could get anything I wanted, as long as I ran it by him first, and that it had 4WD.

So the 05 Taco looks best for me.

Ive posted "progress" pics of the 4Runner, and Ill post pics of the Taco when I get it...
Old 04-06-2005, 03:19 AM

pops gave you 10GRAND?!? one thing to say. booooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 04-06-2005, 06:57 AM

www.carsdirect.com has pretty good prices on vehicles that I've seen.
just a random thought.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by futurerunner
Ok, am I the only one thsty is miffed that his parents are GIVING him 10k?
i was at first. but then i remembered that when i was buying we first house, our parents helped us out a lot with the down payment. that's what parents are there for.

edit: woah, that was some bad grammar there. can you tell i was not quite awake when i posted that. what i meant to say was "i remembered that when we were buying our first house, our parents helped us out a lot with the down payment."

Last edited by mike_d; 04-06-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Banned

pops gave you 10GRAND?!? one thing to say. booooooooooooooooooooooooooo
It was really random, and odd that they wanted to give it to me straight out. Before it was that they'd give me however much I needed/wanted, but Id have to pay them back the earliest possible chance. I wasnt gonna do that...
Old 04-06-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mike_d
i was at first. but then i remembered that when i was buying we first house, our parents helped us out a lot with the down payment. that's what parents are there for.
Yeah, but a home is an investment (in the true sense of the word) and it is a beginning to a new life. It's A LOT different than being able to get a 30K truck at age 16 or 17. Man, have the times changed.

Its good you are getting the truck you want. . . just don't ever take it for granted. Most of us older folk in here (I'll bet) didn't spend that much on a car until we were in our upper 20's, and maybe not even then. IN FACT, I still have not spent over 25K for a car. Now my wife. . . yeah, well that is a different story.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:28 PM

im just busting on you man. Just use teh truck right. I know a lot of PUNKS that had daddy buy them their truck, lift, tires and even pay for there insurance. But funny thing is, they dont even wheel em.Daddy just bought it, cu zthey thought it looked cool. I personally bought everything in and on my truck, so i take alot if pride in my trucks.But im sure you have done SOMETHING(sometime/somewhere) to deserve it. My dad did pay for half of my first car. But, that was a 1200$ honda civic that i had for 4 months hah
Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I got my first truck in 1996. It was a 82 Toy with 6" of lift and 33x12.50 BFG MT's, full SmittyBilt setup... man, that truck was cool. I drove that thing all over the desert. But I took care of it. I sold it (DOH!!!) two years later, for the same price that my parents had paid for it... $2500. I still see it once in a while, and cry a little.... But I still love my 03 DC TRD!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 AM

I always call my bank and see how much they will loan on a certain vehicle with the options I want,(cause they will only loan up to a certain amount on a certain vehicle)that will give you a good idea of where to start and also some good leverage with the salesman Simply tell him your bank wont loan that much on that certain vehicle.He than thinks you have financing,have a good idea what you should be able to buy the vehicle for ,than once you get him down to the last few nickles and dimes you slap him with the green backs and ride out in your new Toyota.You will find it works and once it does you can always go back there and usally not get the (hey stupid) treatment anymore And like those guys said dont be scared its your money and they all want to sell a vehicle.Dont make them any money sitting as they do being sold.Thats there livelyhood.They will take a 500$ sell versus giving it to someone at another dealership.Oh and i am not saying its always right to get the extended warranty but if you can afford it get the Platinum plan from the dealership its worth the money if you ever need it or have to use it.I always do and have really used.Fidelity lets you take your vehicle anywhere that is ASE certified.And cover a bunch of stuff most warranty companies wont.And dealerships love warranty work.All you have to do is sign and they get paid.Food for your thoughts and your belly.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:16 AM

I hate to be this way, but it seems as though only one or two of you have any good ideas.

Sure you can go against other dealers, but you dont have to.

I just went in for a buddy of mine (and im a young guy) he bough a brand new tahoe, with all the extras.. sticker was somewhere around 40, we walked out of there with 10 thousand off the sitcker, and an apoligy from the owner of the dealer, with credit to use in the shop.

Took a week, and a lot of arguing, but you threaten a few people and they let you have anything you want. (legal threatening)
Old 04-07-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tato97T100
I hate to be this way, but it seems as though only one or two of you have any good ideas.

I just went in for a buddy of mine (and im a young guy) he bough a brand new tahoe, with all the extras.. sticker was somewhere around 40, we walked out of there with 10 thousand off the sitcker, and an apoligy from the owner of the dealer, with credit to use in the shop.

Took a week, and a lot of arguing, but you threaten a few people and they let you have anything you want. (legal threatening)
Keep in mind that 10K off a 25K truck is VERY different than 10K off a 40K truck. With that said, I think it all depends on the dealer you're working with. Some dealers are more flexible or stubborn than others.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

meH...some people are saying I couldve gone lower than $29 with the $32 sticker...but IDK...it is a new truck, and its a bitch to find one to fit my liking...so...
Old 04-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

im just busting on you man. Just use teh truck right. I know a lot of PUNKS that had daddy buy them their truck, lift, tires and even pay for there insurance. But funny thing is, they dont even wheel em.Daddy just bought it, cu zthey thought it looked cool. I personally bought everything in and on my truck, so i take alot if pride in my trucks.But im sure you have done SOMETHING(sometime/somewhere) to deserve it. My dad did pay for half of my first car. But, that was a 1200$ honda civic that i had for 4 months hah
Im afraid I wont have the heart to take a brand new $29000 truck through a mud pit though...
Old 04-09-2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tato97T100

don't see how you can threaten legal action on them? you guys spent a week arguing about the price, im surprised the owner didn't tell you to shove it and get off his lot.

Quick Reply: Alright men teach this boy how to negotiate pricing....