Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

All aluminum radiator for a 1997 4runner 5 speed

Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All aluminum radiator for a 1997 4runner 5 speed

I have researched a few sites and Goggled in a few ways.....looking for an all aluminum rad for my 1997 4runner 3.4L manual transmission. I found a thread on another site with a pic of one but no source info and my post has not received any response. Anyone know where I can purchase one?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM

Looked at any on JEGS? Be cool radiators come to mind. I think trail gear has some for the 3rd gen runners, not sure what there made of though.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why??

I just know as long as it is possible I will never own one after learning the hard way

All I can say I am glad it was not me paying all the bills for a slight mishap miles from the black top.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Why??

I just know as long as it is possible I will never own one after learning the hard way

All I can say I am glad it was not me paying all the bills for a slight mishap miles from the black top.
Would you care to elaborate on the learning experience? I am just mystified why it seems I can't find an all aluminum for this model year......
Old 01-29-2015, 11:08 AM

Red face

A friend had one that I made brackets to put in a 3.4 swapped mid 80`s truck 86 I think.

About two years down the road one of those freak things vehicle ahead kicked up a small piece of Metal perhaps off a load of scrap .

They had thought no big deal it got into the engine compartment some how caused one of the belts to come off the pulley taking a chunk .

Carrying a spare belt they pulled over in the process of digging out tools they come to find a nice size hole in the radiator core taking out about 3 tubes.

At this point the Truck is now Towed home.

$$ no matter what was tried to get this 2 year old Aluminum clean to get a good weld . Between the road dirt and coolant out of the porous Aluminum The only way was to block off the tubes completely .

They were not happy with that although it would have cooled good enough I think.

They bought a Copper Brass one off the now gone Radiator barn and swore off Aluminum radiators for good.

Talking to a Radiator Shop that is a Customer They agree the Aluminum Radiators are great for Race Cars with all kinds of support.

But when asked about well how do I repair one 8 hours off the paved road after the blank look " Well remove it and bring it to the shop"If that works for you it should work fine..

Myself I would rather break out the solder and flux and be good to go.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
A friend had one that I made brackets to put in a 3.4 swapped mid 80`s truck 86 I think.

About two years down the road one of those freak things vehicle ahead kicked up a small piece of Metal perhaps off a load of scrap .

They had thought no big deal it got into the engine compartment some how caused one of the belts to come off the pulley taking a chunk .

Carrying a spare belt they pulled over in the process of digging out tools they come to find a nice size hole in the radiator core taking out about 3 tubes.

At this point the Truck is now Towed home.

$$ no matter what was tried to get this 2 year old Aluminum clean to get a good weld . Between the road dirt and coolant out of the porous Aluminum The only way was to block off the tubes completely .

They were not happy with that although it would have cooled good enough I think.

They bought a Copper Brass one off the now gone Radiator barn and swore off Aluminum radiators for good.

Talking to a Radiator Shop that is a Customer They agree the Aluminum Radiators are great for Race Cars with all kinds of support.

But when asked about well how do I repair one 8 hours off the paved road after the blank look " Well remove it and bring it to the shop"If that works for you it should work fine..

Myself I would rather break out the solder and flux and be good to go.
Now that makes sense as to the inconvenience to fix, if possible at all. Still can't figure out why this model range is a problem to find an all aluminum.....finding lots up to 95. Might just go with Toyota branded Denso or the Koyo but figured I look at all aluminum options with the exception of custom built to order.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 PM

Red face

For the record I have the three Row copper/brass one in my 2000 Tacoma just made brackets to make it work.

This was when the original gasket at the plastic tank started leaking

I did have to change the bottom radiator hose but it was no big deal

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-29-2015 at 11:59 PM.