Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Actual Old Man Emu, 881 & 891 springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tweeker4X4
So I should leave the cornbred off and just go with the 3/8 revtek? How will that leave my front? I am looking for a level truck.
Well, we need to start at the beginning. How much lift do you have in the front? How much in the back?

What springs and shocks are you using?

If it turns out you don't need the Cornbred spacers, I'll buy them from you. I need a set to use as a mock up for a Sonoran Steel spacer that will have all this Revtek, Cornbred, this, that and the kitchen sink all built into one spacer. But stronger thanks to Mike's revolutionary idea.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Well, we need to start at the beginning. How much lift do you have in the front? How much in the back?

What springs and shocks are you using?.
Front OME 881 w/OME91S and OME 5mm spacer
Rear OME 891 w/OME86
I dont know how much lift I have yet I havent seen the truck Im having it worked on in a few days and I am trying to avoid putting it in the shop four or five times to get it right. I cant work on it because Im out of the country right now and I will just want to hop in it and go when I get back. I know modding is a long process but when I get back I wont have driven it in over a year and will rather drive than turn wrenches for a few months. So any advice I get is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually if you use a cornbred spacer you DON'T want the Revtek studs. You only want those if your useing the stock top plate with the Old Man Emu springs.
Yeah, I meant the extended G8 Cornfed Bolts.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:16 AM

question... how many trim packers are you able to squeeze into an old man emu front setup? say, I get 881's with a revtec top out spacer then add lots of weight to the front and come out with an inch of lift after the springs have settled. Is it possible to add more than 2 trim packers without any problems?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could always just but waskillywabbit's setup in the for sale section of the YT classifieds...

OME 882's w/ N91s preassembled
OME 891's w/ N86

He wants $450 + shipping (about $60)
Old 08-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Yeah, I meant the extended G8 Cornfed Bolts.
Extended Metric 8.8
Old 08-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tweeker4X4
Front OME 881 w/OME91S and OME 5mm spacer
Rear OME 891 w/OME86
I dont know how much lift I have yet I havent seen the truck Im having it worked on in a few days and I am trying to avoid putting it in the shop four or five times to get it right. I cant work on it because Im out of the country right now and I will just want to hop in it and go when I get back. I know modding is a long process but when I get back I wont have driven it in over a year and will rather drive than turn wrenches for a few months. So any advice I get is greatly appreciated.
With the 5mm tricm packer and the Revtek equipment you will be at 2".

Otherwise you will get the same results as Mike. I would imagine that your rear is 2.5 and the front 1.5 with the packer.

If I were you I would do the 1 trim packer and the Revtek top out and studs and have a nice 2" of lift.

2" of lift means less CV hassels.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mtxride
question... how many trim packers are you able to squeeze into an old man emu front setup? say, I get 881's with a revtec top out spacer then add lots of weight to the front and come out with an inch of lift after the springs have settled. Is it possible to add more than 2 trim packers without any problems?
Yes you can use 2 trim packers and that should net you 2" of lift as well, BUT the revtek/packer combo will WORK better.

Keep in mind the 881 springs are more than sufficient to hold your aftermarket bumpers and winch, these items will not effect the 881 coil.

As a matter of fact, they don't effect the 99 stock coil either.

But they certinaly do effect the tiny 2" ID SAW style spting. Thank God there os finally a thread about plain of springs and spacers, they are the most affordable, the most robust and certianly perform great.

35's

33's
Old 08-20-2004, 12:01 PM

Yes you can use 2 trim packers and that should net you 2" of lift as well, BUT the revtek/packer combo will WORK better.

Keep in mind the 881 springs are more than sufficient to hold your aftermarket bumpers and winch, these items will not effect the 881 coil.

As a matter of fact, they don't effect the 99 stock coil either.

But they certinaly do effect the tiny 2" ID SAW style spting. Thank God there os finally a thread about plain of springs and spacers, they are the most affordable, the most robust and certianly perform great.
I was considering an adjustable coilover (saw, downey...) to level my 4runner but it seems like a lot of problems come with them (from what I read on here). So, if you can "adjust" ome with trim packers to level the front end and have better reliability and just as good performance, if not better, seems like ome is the way to go.
thanks guys!!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:29 PM

You had better just sit tight and wait or you'll be sorry.......................

Unfortuantly there is no substitute for the Cornbred spacer. All the others are quite different.

Trust me.
Youve done the research and testing, Im convinced its the way to go.

I was just beetching about it, as well as spreading the word about Cornfed being in "limbo" and likely having a long lead time getting products out anytime soon.

Cornfed has my order, and Im sitting tight, I just dont like it
Old 08-20-2004, 06:11 PM

I talked to those guys about a week ago. i know one of them ( Larry ) was going on leave for about a week. i was gonna have them install my front spacer. I have an ome setup(891 front) and was gonna add a 1inch spacer to bring the front up a bit. But from what i read, the ome shock cover doesnt fit into the cornfed, right?? also after reading this tread i dont even know if this is a good idea anymore.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:03 PM

Don't use two trim packers... They are just big washers and put added stress when you stack them on the welded flange on the body of the shock assembly.

One is more than enough and in reality should be totally unnecessary. There is a spacer / OME combination that is optimum, as is an OEM spring / spacer setup that is similar, it just takes a little time to build the crap and test it. I have an extra set of trim packers in the garage, no way am I installing one on top of another.

There is an answer, loading the shock assembly is not it... Hang tight, a few combos will be tested soon.

Mike
Old 08-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
Cornfed has my order, and Im sitting tight, I just dont like it
I hear you. I waited 6 weeks in 2001 for my first set of spaers from them.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tman100z
I talked to those guys about a week ago. i know one of them ( Larry ) was going on leave for about a week. i was gonna have them install my front spacer. I have an ome setup(891 front) and was gonna add a 1inch spacer to bring the front up a bit. But from what i read, the ome shock cover doesnt fit into the cornfed, right?? also after reading this tread i dont even know if this is a good idea anymore.
Correct, OME cover DOES NOT fit in a Cornbred, I would Revtek top-out before I Cornfed.

Worlds different, but only good for 1/2" of lift.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by azrain
Don't use two trim packers... They are just big washers and put added stress when you stack them on the welded flange on the body of the shock assembly.

One is more than enough and in reality should be totally unnecessary. There is a spacer / OME combination that is optimum, as is an OEM spring / spacer setup that is similar, it just takes a little time to build the crap and test it. I have an extra set of trim packers in the garage, no way am I installing one on top of another.

There is an answer, loading the shock assembly is not it... Hang tight, a few combos will be tested soon.

Mike

Or you could make the little lady happy and do what I did. Only 20+ people did and love it so far.

Try not to get a woody and rip your shorts. It's not me.

REPRODUCABLE & CONSISTANT !!!

Who's Your Daddy ???

Last edited by sschaefer3; 08-20-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

That pic is SOOOO SWEET !!! On the other side of the country a guy gets the SAME results.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:36 PM

Problem is that I ain't 20+ people and tend to do stuff stubborn. I have no brains and like to abuse what little functional thought I have to making my truck fit me. If some or all benefit in the end, thooper, fanfrajilistic.

Those wimpy Class 8.8 "special" bolts will be substituted by some nice 10.9 or Grade 8 junk, courtesy of my bros at Copperstate...

Mike

EDIT: Sorry, I was distracted when I wrote this becasue I was reading about Jane Pauley (the most MILFiest of MILF's) in tabs, and was distracted...

Last edited by azrain; 08-20-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by azrain
tend to do stuff stubborn
Yes you are, sometimes it's quite entertaing to watch.

I'm sure you'll pick up some info along the way that will beneift everyone.

You'll get it or die trying.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

You'll get it or die trying.
Gee..there is a happy thought.

I'm glad this thread has happened. I am trying to decide if I want to do the FrankenSchaefer front end, try some of the different OME set-ups you guys have been talking about or stick to a coil-over.

I'm not sure how this could be true when Ryan says he using the 881s w/ 2 trimpackers and the RevTek spacer and is only getting 1.75". Maybe I'm just missing something. My front end weight is comparable to Ryan's with the only difference being the weights of our skidplates, whatever that is (AZ Special -vs- Trail Carnage).
Old 08-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

AZ Skid plate 11 gauge
TC Skid 3/16" plate

HUGE difference. HUGE weight difference. Both are right, none are wrong.

Pick your poison.

I deeply regret offering up the FRANK info to the public, something of that caliber should have been held under lock and key. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Actual Old Man Emu, 881 & 891 springs