95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Actual Old Man Emu, 881 & 891 springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Schaefer,

Since we are on the subject, I would like to ask a quick question.

First off, I have OME springs shocks at all four corners. After installing, I noticed that the front was extremely shorter than the rear.

I just went ahead and bought 1.5" daystar spacers. These were installed and still, I am sitting a lot lower in the front than I am in the back.

Last week, I ordered 2.5" cornfed spacers, and am hopefully going to level out my 'runner.

Will this be okay ? I already have my diff. drop installed...and things seem to be straight in that department.

It will physically bolt together, but don't be surprised if it extremely stiff.

If it is, what you can do is order the 1999 V6, 4WD, 16" wheel coils and they will work perfect with the Cornbred spacers and the OME shocks.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:01 PM

Steve,

I guess I meant Revtek, not Daystar. The difference being that the topout spacer is smaller w/ the Revtek and is the top out spacer you use. I guess the Revtek is 1/2" taller overall too so the spacer inside is bigger.

The inside spacers on the both kits are similar to a Cornfed spacer, are they not?
If so, the DS spacer must be equivalent to a 1.5" CF and the RT must be like a 2.5" CF.

I take it the longer aftermarket OME shocks won't overextend the suspension on droop w/ the Revtek TO spacer like it would with a Daystart TO spacer?

So hence, 1/2" of lift above, via a Revtek top out and 1.5" of lift inside via a Cornbred.
That's only 2" and I'm looking for more like 3".
What would be better to get the extra lift, longer coils (OME like my original plan) or bigger spacer?

Sorry for all the questions from a coil-IFS newbie... but thanks for answering.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ErikB
I guess I meant Revtek, not Daystar. The difference being that the topout spacer is smaller w/ the Revtek and is the top out spacer you use. I guess the Revtek is 1/2" taller overall too so the spacer inside is bigger.
Yes the inside spacer provides 2.5" of lift and the 3/8" thick top put provides 1/2" of lift.

The inside spacers on the both kits are similar to a Cornfed spacer, are they not?
If so, the DS spacer must be equivalent to a 1.5" CF and the RT must be like a 2.5" CF.
Yes, you are correct.

I take it the longer aftermarket OME shocks won't overextend the suspension on droop w/ the Revtek TO spacer like it would with a Daystart TO spacer?
Yes, you are correct, With the Revtek topout you take it to the max. The upper ball joint is a hair from the spring as full droop.

That's only 2" and I'm looking for more like 3". What would be better to get the extra lift, longer coils (OME like my original plan) or bigger spacer?
The problem with 3" of lift on these IFS setup is you have jacked up all your droop. Imagine this, your 1986 4Runner sitting on your driveway with shocks that were at max extension, just sitting on the driveway. They compress alot lets say 5-6" but you only have 1/2" of extension downward. So when you drive off your curb your front tire goes in the air, since it can't go down, right, we're out of travel.

Take it wheeling and boy is it ever going to suck. No droop. This is pretty much what happens to IFS when it's jacked up too high.

With 3" of suspension lift, all your droop is gone. Now you can install the ATS style upper a-arms and buy back 1" of droop, but................

With 2" of lift you have that extra inch and you buy an extra inch with the ATS arms and now you have 2" of height lift, and you actually have droop lift in the system.

The a-arms will only go up so far and down so far, changing the shocks and springs will not increase or decrease these fixed values.

So you want 3" of total front lift. So did I and I have it. Here you go, the magic forumla:

2" Front Suspension lift (Stock 99 coils and cornbred/revtek spacers & OME shocks)
1" Roger Brown Body Lift

2.5" Rear Suspension lift (OME 891 and N86 HD)
1" Roger Brown Body Lift

I run 35's with this exact setup. It's a winner. IFS works well if you don't screw it up, It will never be a SA, but then again a SA will never ride like IFS on the street. Life is full of trade off's this is just one more.

In the end my "Ultimate Spacer" is merely a 2" Revtek made from 1 solid hunk of steel, not many little parts like they have now. We are tossing around the idea of making what I consider to be the ultimate 2" spacer for use with the 99 4Runner front coils. They could be installed on a Tacoma or a 4Runner. We even have what I consider an Phenomenal idea, by Mike Nevitt thrown in there as well. Greatly increase the overall strength of the spacer.

Here is some more data for you, the Tacoma TRD front coils are progressive and if you install a spacer lift on them, first off you won't get any lift. Second of all it will ride awful. What happens with the progressive springs is the spacer lift collapses the soft part of the spring and all your left with is the very stiff part. The soft part also folds down too easy, so no lift for you!

This is true of ANY spacer on the TRD coils.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:24 PM

I like the change I've made in suspension systems. The OME is smooth but a little stiffer than stock for the amount of highway driving that I see weekly. The progressive rate springs are so much nicer than the PP springs (round number one) , the SAW/Downey/ Bilstein (round number two) IMHO and the mass change in spring rate and load eases the pain and trauma to my kidneys and the chassis of the truck. However, there are a couple of caveats to the way I'm running it right now:
  • Front suspension is low.

I purposely installed a trim packer when I built the front assembly. The first attempt to get more height in the front is a Revtek top out spacer. That may work, but I think it will take a bit more to get where I want it.
  • Rear suspension - Air Bags

I run air bags for towing... I believe that these have "held" the springs up a bit. The front springs have definitely sagged out at least a 1/4" since I put them on, so potentially the rear springs being supported by air bags will not take a "set" for some time to come. If the rear sags out as well, spacers for those too.

Overall, I like the softer spring as opposed to my previous setup, but I wanted more than OEM due to the amount of highway driving and towing that I do, this setup seems to be working after 8K miles... It will be higher though.

Mike
Old 08-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

I really think you'll be quite happy with the Revtek top outs and studs.

1" due to 881 springs, 1/2" to trim packer and 1/2" to the Revtek top out.

Should really be nice. Not as nice as mine though.....

:monkey:
Old 08-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

ahh yes, yall are catching on. Me and mike swapped out the SAWs at bout the same time, for the same reasons, too.

I have 881s, 2 trim packers, revtek top spacers. im sitting at about 1.75" above stock with TJM 15, Warn M8000, TrailCarnage Skids.

I love the ride: stiff, but reasonable, not too stiff. the coils handle well and flex great with ATS arms and disco'd nukes.

SS's frankenwhatevers are good for some, OMEs are good for folks carryin some pounds. Pick whats best for YOU, not whats best for others.

Mike - grab you a pair of 3/8" top spacers, i think youll be happy with the results.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
So you want 3" of total front lift. So did I and I have it. Here you go, the magic forumla:

2" Front Suspension lift (Stock 99 coils and cornbred/revtek spacers & OME shocks)
1" Roger Brown Body Lift

2.5" Rear Suspension lift (OME 891 and N86 HD)
1" Roger Brown Body Lift

I run 35's with this exact setup. It's a winner. IFS works well if you don't screw it up...
looks like we ended up with similar setups. i got about 1.75" from my suspension and 1" from the body lift. im only running 265s though, thats perfect for my needs these days. the 265s havent held me back at all yet, anytime theres a point where my ground clearance isnt enough, the TC skids just slide me right off. IFS has worked for me too, anyone who thinks they need more than IFS has bought the wrong vehicle (3rd gen 4R), they should have bought a FZJ80 or SFA 4R or Truck.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:52 PM

The comparison to t-bar IFS (reduced droop) makes some sense, but I didn't think it would be as bad w/ the coil IFS since #1, the coil IFS has more travel to begin with and #2) I'd be increasing droop w/ the longer OME's and/or top out spacers. So I was thinking w/ a 3" lift and ~2" more droop the "droop reduction" and associated crappy ride might be minimized...?
I assume that adding the custom upper arms to that could even get me back up to the full stock amount of droop if I wanted to spend the bucks...

Where are you guys getting just the Revtek topout spacers? All I see online are full kits.

35's w/ 3" lift? Seems like there'd be a ton of rubbing w/o tubbing the firewall...

FWIW, at this point I'm leaning toward a full revtek kit w/ N91SC/N86C, shocks. That would give me the lift w/o piecing too much stuff together, keep the ride pretty plush w/ the softer stock springs and comfort shocks, and not cost too much...
I could also add some rear air bags or use 890 rear springs instead of spacers in the back to stiffen up the rear just a tad if it still seems soft. Right now its hard to tell w/ the bumpstops an inch above the axle...

Last edited by ErikB; 08-19-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

You buy the Revtek parts directly from Revtek, just call them up and order.

You can "try" 3" but you'll see right away, it's stiffened up pretty good and those 97 coils more than likely won't pump you up to the full 3".

Try it, you might like it, then again if you don't you will know what to do.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:06 PM

The top-out spacers are just a start. There seems to be a happy medium of spring and spacer lift here somewhere. Spacers available in different heights to "tune" the suspension in would be nice. I have a set of Revtek's "in the mail", I'll see how those act on the road, highway and trail and go from there...

Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Don't for get you need the studs too.............
Old 08-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

I have 881's up front just ordered cornfed 1.5" spacers. I'm also putting on a sahara bar w/winch. If I add 3/8 revtek topouts will that level me out or at least bring me close. I have the 891's in the rear.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 PM

Don't for get you need the studs too.............
Yup, those too. Be interesting to see how they work, will have to wait for mid Sept. though, gears need to be broken in first.

Revtek hardware scares me though... Those Grade 5 long ass bolts that come with the diff drop (Revtek diif drop) are a little cheesy, regardless of whether they are indeed "strong enough."

Mike
Old 08-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by azrain
Yup, those too. Be interesting to see how they work, will have to wait for mid Sept. though, gears need to be broken in first.

Revtek hardware scares me though... Those Grade 5 long ass bolts that come with the diff drop (Revtek diif drop) are a little cheesy, regardless of whether they are indeed "strong enough."

Mike
I agree on the diff drop bolts, Grade 5 and course thread is crazy in that application.

But, I have personally installed 2 Revtek kits and the studs are the real deal, exaclty like the Toyota studs but longer.

They are also expensive.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tweeker4X4
I have 881's up front just ordered cornfed 1.5" spacers. I'm also putting on a sahara bar w/winch. If I add 3/8 revtek topouts will that level me out or at least bring me close. I have the 891's in the rear.
Cornbreds with 881's is not wise, it will be very stiff, Try the Revtek first.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 PM

Wheelers OffRoad had the Revtek topout spacers as well. Dont know about the studs though.

Bummer is that Cornfed is "Out of the Office" until Aug 24 though... and then theyll get started on the orders in the order they came I dont wanna wait anymore....
Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

Cornbreds with 881's is not wise, it will be very stiff, Try the Revtek first.

So I should leave the cornbred off and just go with the 3/8 revtek? How will that leave my front? I am looking for a level truck.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many times does the guy have to say it???

I'll save you the time...

This will give 2.0" up front and 2.5" in the rear w/ a VERY GOOD ride and optimal flex.

Front:
1999 or 2000 4WD V6 Toyota Front Coils (16" Wheels)
OME N91S
Bilstein Shock Boot (Modified)
Cornfed 1.5" Spacer
Revtek Topout Spacer
Extended Cornfed Grade 8 Bolts
(I currenty have Tundra V8 Coils, Bilstein HD Shocks and Cornfed 2.5" w/NO Revtek Topout Spacer)

Rear:
OME 891 (Or Downey 3.5" Coils)
OME N86

Last edited by bamachem; 08-20-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Front:
1999 or 2000 4WD V6 Toyota Front Coils (16" Wheels)
OME N91S
Bilstein Shock Boot (Modified)
Cornfed 1.5" Spacer
Revtek Topout Spacer
Revtek Extended Studs
(I'm using Tundra V8 Coils, Bilstein HD Shocks and Cornfed 2.5" w/NO Revtek Topout Spacer)
Actually if you use a cornbred spacer you DON'T want the Revtek studs. You only want those if your useing the stock top plate with the Old Man Emu springs.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
I dont wanna wait anymore....
You had better just sit tight and wait or you'll be sorry.......................

Unfortuantly there is no substitute for the Cornbred spacer. All the others are quite different.

Trust me.

Quick Reply: Actual Old Man Emu, 881 & 891 springs