Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Acetone increases gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
19.7 mpg on the '95 with gas con acetone on mainly in-town driving.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhayduke
19.7 mpg on the '95 with gas con acetone on mainly in-town driving.
How much were you mixing?

I've been working with 2oz per 10 gallons and haven't seen a huge difference although a ECU reset did seem to make things better. Next tank I am going for 3oz per 10 gallon and if that doesn't pan out I'll call it quits and call it even - haven't seen a loss or an improvement thus far.

Last edited by ROMAD; 05-05-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Contributing Member

3 fl. oz. per 10 gallons which works out to 160 ml per 18 gallons. I mixed another tank last night. This will be the last. Then I'll run at least one tank straight for comparison.

No, I'm not paying attention to my driving habits, I romp it when I need it, it was in 4wd a couple times last weekend, I haven't changed the air in my tires or the engine oil. Although it's time to swap out the gear oils.

Off topic: Anyone got a good price on some Mobil1 or Amsoil 75-90W? Last I saw here it was $10 per quart.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok just bringing back the thread! I have been using acetone for a couple months now, with about a 1-2 mpg increase. I have one question though. I have been putting about 1-2 cups in every fillup. My truck has been running so smooth now. Heres the question. I skipped the treatment last week because I ran out of acetone. After fillup, I immediately felt a decrease in acceleration, and smoothness of the engine, including smoothness in the gas pedal, more vibration. Have you guys felt that drastic of a difference if you skip the treatment. On my 4runner its a night and day difference. one thing is for sure, acetone makes a world of difference!
Old 09-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

does the gain in mileage offset the cost of the acetone?
just curious...
Old 09-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Contributing Member

Dibble, a friend just tried this too. And he has been doing it for the last few weeks.

A conversation between a friend and I:

him: hey I have tested something in my car with fuel mileage
him: and i was impressed
me: what?
him: acetone
me: ahhh
me: how did it work?
him: I put less than an ounce in my tank and there was probably 7-8 gallons
him: I felt a difference in acceleration, as well as mpg
him: after driving hard on it all the way to school i got 27 mpg
him: compared to 25 driving regularly
me: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
him: then on the way back home I was on the highway at a confortable pace and got 32 instead of the usual 27-28
him: I am going to try more next time though
me: Check out that link
him: I got it from a friend who works in a lab
him: I am
me: maybe I'll try it, I'm about ready to give it to the moms and but something else
him: I think you should man
him: I dont know if it will change 30% like that link states
him: but it does help
Old 09-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dibble9012
ok just bringing back the thread! I have been using acetone for a couple months now, with about a 1-2 mpg increase. I have one question though. I have been putting about 1-2 cups in every fillup. My truck has been running so smooth now. Heres the question. I skipped the treatment last week because I ran out of acetone. After fillup, I immediately felt a decrease in acceleration, and smoothness of the engine, including smoothness in the gas pedal, more vibration. Have you guys felt that drastic of a difference if you skip the treatment. On my 4runner its a night and day difference. one thing is for sure, acetone makes a world of difference!
1-2 cups? So are you saying 8-16 oz every fillup?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:26 PM

Cool

Acetone has worked for me consistantly on my '93 ES 300 - both turbocharged, and N/A. It works on my mother's '02 Maxima SE, going from 31 to 34-35mpg highway. it works on my dad's & mine '99 F150 4.6L.
It has also made some improvement for a few people on a few threads I have started in Toyota Camry / Lexus ES forums.
One thing to keep in mind, The lower your starting gas mileage, the smaller an improvement-if any. 10% of 15mpg isn't a lot, but it does pay for itself.

Acetone is also safe on any common gasoline safe seal, or gasket. So no worries there.

Last edited by Toysrme; 09-18-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

yea i know it sounds like a lot, i just experimented, and that is where I feel the most difference, its usually about a cup and a quarter
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM

I've run through a couple of tankfulls and noticed absolutely no difference. Are you taking into account the extra ounces of acetone and adding that to the amount of gas put into the tank when calculating the new gas mileage?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Cost over the life of the engine is a key factor in things like turbos and superchargers as well. Has everyone forgotten that back in the early 80s everything seemed to have a turbo on it? Including Toyotas? By the end of the 80s they were almost all gone. Why? Because they drastically shortened engine life & required much more attentive maintenance.
Well, I've got 200K miles on my TDI and it's still running strong.

If you recall, most of those turbos in the 80s were just slapped on normally aspirated engines that weren't designed for turbos (they made a few tweaks here and there). Kinda like the "diesel" engines that GM made from converted petrol blocks. Both were garbage.

Engines designed specifically for turbos should see extended life, if anything.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 AM

i didn't notice much increae in MPG but my 22re did run better with 4-5 ounces of it in a tank.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 AM

sorry to resurrect an old thread. i have to run back to class and haven't read it all yet, but i wanted to check YT for info on this.

My dad heard 3rd handedly from an army engineer that adding a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and acetone in small amounts helped a lot with performance. it was like a 2oz to 1oz per 20 gallons ratio or similar, i don't quite remember.

so, before my dad blows up his little ford ranger or i try on my excellent yota 4x4 does the hydrogen peroxide make any difference? i'll do some searching later when i get home from class.

thanks!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by luvmytruck
sorry to resurrect an old thread. i have to run back to class and haven't read it all yet, but i wanted to check YT for info on this.

My dad heard 3rd handedly from an army engineer that adding a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and acetone in small amounts helped a lot with performance. it was like a 2oz to 1oz per 20 gallons ratio or similar, i don't quite remember.

so, before my dad blows up his little ford ranger or i try on my excellent yota 4x4 does the hydrogen peroxide make any difference? i'll do some searching later when i get home from class.

thanks!

if it has any effect on performance, which i strongly doubt, it will be beacause it cleans things out. acetone may help dissolve crud or clean injectors, and what the acetone doesn't dissolve the h2o2 should. but if you're putting it in a ratio of 2oz to 20 gallons, thats like a 1 : 1000 ratio, which probably won't have any effect at all.

my feeling is that it will do no good, and proabably won't do any harm. but it will cost you money.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

It won't work. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but....
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a polar compound, gasoline is non-polar they separate like gas and water.

Plus...H2O2 decomposes to H20 plus O2. So onces it breaks down you'll have water in your gas and you'll have to buy some HEET (methanol or ethanol) to get rid of the water in your gas.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:27 AM

i had to dig this up to say somehting... my friend has one of the crapiest truck made right now Dodge dakota v-6 2x4 and it got about 14mpg and ome to find out with only 40k miles on it it would run for hsit so the dealer warrantied some work and found out its got 2 cracked heads so they replace em and now it gets about 15mpg which is still crappy. So since we run acetone all the time with great results we poured the correct amount (3oz per 10 gallons no more no less or its wont work) and took off for the track well since hes got the digitall read out thing on the way back we look up and the averge is up to almost 18mpg which is has NEVER gotten before so since that day it been getting about 3mpg more. so i would say it works pretty good

Last edited by deserttoy84; 03-11-2006 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

ok so i am curious. for everyone in this thread who has said they have used "acetone" (not that any of them will every read this thread again, but ohh well) were they using strait acetone, or a variation of it. I was just a a parts store taday and picked up two bottles of "B-12 Chemtool" I ran about 7 onces in my crankcase before changing the oil like it recomended, and tomorrow when i fill up the tank i will put the recomended one once per gallon into my tank and see how things go.
I have tried A LOT of fuel injector cleaners, and i am not expecting alot. but just curious if anyone else has used B-12 CHEMTOOL before??
Old 06-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Honestly, I dont understand all the theory behind the acetone thing.
But I drive about 30k miles/yr, and at $3/gallon, I figure I would try it. What's the worst that could happen?
So, for the last few months, I tried it. I have been adding approx 2ounces to approx 10gallons of gas (I figure it doesnt have to be exact), per recommendation at various sites.

Result:
In the past, I have consistantly been at 19.5miles/gallon +/-0.5miles.
Since adding acetone, I am getting as much as 21.5miles/gallon.
Obviously, this is not a controlled test, where I drove "exactly" the same route, etc. But from what I can tell, its giving me upto 10% increased milage.

I think I bought a bottle (approx 20oz) for 2.99 at CVS or Walgreens.

my 2oz worth.
tdk
Old 06-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

why acetone? could you use other solvents like xylene, toulene, laquer thinner, Methyl Ethyl Ketone (M.E.K.) ?? I really don't have any high hopes in ways of MPG improvement, but figured what the heck, i will give it a shot. I have tried every other damn thing out there, why not one more!!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
If turbochargers and superchargers effectively add power, why aren't they standard on all engines?
On any car that came w/ a turbo/SC stock (s/c Rivera, turbo volvo, WRX, etc. etc.) all had to use premium gas too... Would u want ur car stock to need premium gas? i wouldn't unless it was a super duper car

Quick Reply: Acetone increases gas mileage?