Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 taco skyjacker lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 taco skyjacker lift

hey kids. question for anyone who has any experience using a skyjacker lift on a 96 taco.

my buddy recently bought a lift from 4Wheelparts (dont get us started on them ... they are major @$$!!) anyways... he is having problems with the new leafs he installed in the rear.

it seems first of all a little too tall of a stance in the rear. his lift was supposed to be 2.5" i believe, the front is fine, but the rear appears to be at least 4" or even more lift. its noticeable for sure. might they droop a little bit when the leafs are broken in?

the other problem is that the very bottom leaf that sits on his axle... (looks more like an "add a leaf" and is half the length at least than the other leafs)..... well this leaf on both sides of the axle keep getting off centered. im not sure if im explaining this correctly, but they are moving into a kind of "X" position relative to the other leafs on top of them. they are angling in so much that they are slamming into his shocks and have dented the shocks too.

i know this cant be normal, but has anyone had this problemo before and if so or even if not... what should we do about it?

and if anyone says go back to 4Wheelparts....................

Last edited by Spanky; 09-22-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The leafs will settle for sure.

As for them being off centered, that might be an installation issue! Are they bolted correctly into the center pin, and are the u-bolts on nice and tight?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:58 PM

I've had this problem in the past. Your friend can either buy a couple of extra leaf spring "clamps" for the overload leaf, OR if he doesn't haul alot of heavy stuff around, he could just remove the overload leaf all together...this would take away the problem of the leaf turning on him as well as alleviate a little bit of the height issue (the thickness of the overload leaf) in the rear.

Good luck!

James

PS... As mentioned before, he might check the center-pin too.. sometimes (very rare but I've seen it happen) that pin can shear.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DSN46
I've had this problem in the past. Your friend can either buy a couple of extra leaf spring "clamps" for the overload leaf, OR if he doesn't haul alot of heavy stuff around, he could just remove the overload leaf all together...this would take away the problem of the leaf turning on him as well as alleviate a little bit of the height issue (the thickness of the overload leaf) in the rear.

Good luck!

James

PS... As mentioned before, he might check the center-pin too.. sometimes (very rare but I've seen it happen) that pin can shear.
we thought about removing the overload leaf... but the leaf seems to have a kinda "nub" on them to slip into place. (is that the "center-pin" you are talking about??) if indeed its that pin being sheared... is there any remedy for it?

Last edited by Spanky; 09-22-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:30 PM

No. If your friend installed the lift, then he will have removed and replaced the center pin in the rear leaf packs.... he should know what I'm talking about. Unless, of course, the packs came already assembled, in which case he wouldn't have to do that (sorry.. I've spent alot of time taking leaf packs apart in the Jeep world!).

To answer your question, that little "nub" is just so that the leaf stays "indexed" properly in the pack (obviously not doing its job). The "center-pin" is a long bolt that goes through the whole leaf pack and holds them together right in the middle. Then the "head" of the bolt sticking out of the under side of the pack goes into an indention or hole in the spring perch on the axle. (not sure I explained that very well... sorry)

James