Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'92 Toyota Pickup SR5 ticking lifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '92 Toyota Pickup SR5 ticking lifters

Hey guyz, first post here. I tried to search for ticking lifters for the 3vze engine and came up empty. I hope that you can shed some light on the subject.

I'm attempting to purchase a '92 Toyta Pickup SR5 V6 4WD. The tranny, drivetrain, body, interior are all in good condition. The only problem that I'm having in deciding whether to purchase or not is the engine. It has 260k miles on it. Looks like the P/S pumps is going bad and the clutch is fading.

The truck is listed for $5980, which is about $200 above average price for that truck - that I've seen and researched about anyway. I have talked the dealership down to 4980 with the trade in of my '90 miata (in fair condition they will give me $1000). So they haven't come down on the price of the truck, just given me the trade in value of my car. I told 'em to stick it with that deal and that I needed to tech the truck for further thoughts about the price of it. The truck is a 1 owner that is about 70 yrs. old. I know the guy used it as some kind of work truck because there are the usual dings and dents in the bed (under the bedliner). The truck really looks clean otherwise. There is no oil under the truck. Minor seapage on the tranny and x-fer case. This thing looks like it's never even seen a gravel road underneath. The frame looks good. I have talked the dealer down to $5000 OTD including the TTT. After taking it home for the night, I've discovered the P/S pump going bad, the clutch fade, the engine ticking, the driver side CV-Joint is clicking, passenger side wheel bearing going our, and there is an annoyoing rattle coming from under the dash.

At speeds of 45-80MPH the trucks lifters are audible in the cab of the truck, albiet not loud and clanky, just audible. Is this normal for the 3vz3 engine to be making a lifter-tick noise? If not, are the valves hydrolic or not? I'd like to think this is a solid truck that will last at least another 2-3 years without any major repair. I'm hoping you Toyota freeks will be able to help a guy out with a good price and a good sense of reality for this truck.

Thanks in advance!

Tyler
Old 06-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

You are answering your own questions. Keep in mind, the dealer is making around $2K or more off of you.

You are much better off going the private party route, both on your purchase and your sale.

Check out this site before you go the dealer route. Dealers are crooks, plain and simple.

www.carbuyingtips.com

As for the lifters, that is a good indication of a good worn engine. While these engine can be good for about 300K, you are going to be pushing it. I hate worrying about reliability when I go on long trips. So I would keep looking.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:11 AM

Thank you for you quick reply.

I had no idea how much life to expect out of that engine and only 40k more miles will not work for me. Thank you again. You have definitley made my mind up.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:15 AM

Silly me, i bought the truck! I'm happy with the purchase. $3850 OTD. Not a bad deal. I can always replace/rebuild the engine. No biggie.

Ya'll have a good day, I hope to become a 'yota freek soon...
Old 06-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, glad we made an impact on your purchase.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Yeah, glad we made an impact on your purchase.
haha right
Old 06-06-2003, 11:59 AM

Well, originally I was going to get the truck for 5k, but worked the dealer down quite a bit. I'm planning on replacing the engine, but the rest of the truck is rock solid. That's why I couldn't pass up the deal.

I talkin, no rust, only one dent in the tailgate - obviously from unhooking a trailer incorrectly - the drivetrain is so tight I've found no slop anywhere, even the rearend is tight which amazes me after that many miles.

I think I made out pretty well.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

toyota tyler sr5: Should I buy this truck with an engine that is about to quit.

yotatech: no

toyota tyler sr5: hey guys i just bought the truck. I think i got a great deal.

:pat:
Old 06-06-2003, 01:25 PM

Awesome way to welcome someone to a forum! I like it! Nice attitude all the way around dude.

The engine seems to have good enough power and doesn't smoke at all. I seemed to have to be flamed reguardless of what I do. So you can keep you comments to yourself if it'd suit you to do so. I mean come on, its a freaking Toyota! I'm not going to wheel with it. I only drive 5 miles to work and back. Not that I have 'tons' of money to throw into it, but I'm a capable mechanic and have replaced engines in a few cars and trucks, so this shouldn't be any different when the time comes. Heck, the lifters quit ticking after I put a little bit higher octane gas in it. Nice to know the easy fixes sometimes work. If I have to put a new head on it, well, not a problem. If I have to get a new engine, so be it. Damn dude, no optimism at all? Must be one of the right-wingers.

Oh and one more thing. This truck will never see a long road trip. That's what I bought my '03 Protege for. Long trips and a smooth ride. I guess some people just have all the luck

Last edited by Toyota_Tyler_SR5; 06-06-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyta_Tyler_SR5
I had no idea how much life to expect out of that engine and only 40k more miles will not work for me. Thank you again. You have definitley made my mind up.
Tyler-

Chill dude. We arent flaming you. I think we are all just a little confused by your logic (see quote above).

Its your money, but you asked for our advice. Now we just dont understand. That's all.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:19 PM

I understand. I worked the dealer down to $3850. I think that was a fair enough price.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Toyta_Tyler_SR5 - Congrats on your new truck. It's a Toyota, it will run.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:14 PM

Danka, i do appreciate! I'll try and post a few pics by tomorrow...not promising anything, but I'll give 'er a try/
Old 06-06-2003, 03:25 PM

ticking lifters

All this other stuff aside - not all of us are hard core off road types; I bought mine to repalce my stolen 86 4Runner and the reason I bought that was my wife said do we really want 2 cars that can only carry 2 people (I was looking for an '86 SR5 Long Bed PU at the time - should have looked for an '83 or 84 FJ-40).
Anyway I bought my 4Runner to drive to Crystal Mt for Ski Patrol duty.

As far as the ticking try Amsoil next oil change - more expensive but my lifters love it.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Re: ticking lifters

Originally posted by donc

As far as the ticking try Amsoil next oil change - more expensive but my lifters love it.
The type of oil wont effect lifter noise, but the weight will. Just a FYI.

Try straight 40WT, that'll get rid of the tick.

(I am not kidding, I did it on my old Mazda truck, and it worked)
Old 06-07-2003, 02:58 AM

Wink ticking lifters

if the oil pressure is ok ( ticking lifters can be a sign of low oil pressure ) then try some Marvel mystery oil this s--t really works on gummed up lifters
Old 06-10-2003, 05:47 AM

Do you know when the timeing belt was last replaced? You may need to look into doing that. If it was replaced every 60K, then it would need to be done again at 300K. Should have been done last at about 240K. The other items you talked about are all easy fixes. I dont know about the clutch or ticking though. Could be lifters or injectors.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:55 AM

Tyler: The main thing is that you are happy with your puchase. Good advice was given by individuals that meant well, but You found a truck that You liked and got the dealer to come off their price. As long as you're happy....and will enjoy your Toyota experience, that is the main thing. I have 160k on my '91 V6 Runner and I am actually enjoying putting more miles on it....it is sort of becoming a game of seeing how many more miles I can put on it. I can get in, turn the key, and literally drive it anywhere no matter how far. Yeah, sure there will be things that you have to fix, but that is part of the game. Remember Toyota's Marketing campaign back in the early '90's....the time when you truck was built.....they highlighted the fact that these vehicles would go hundreds of thousands of miles. Look at some of the threads about high miles and you'll see that there are a lot of proud Toyota owners that have similar miles to your truck's and they are still going strong....and not going to just lay down at 300k. If it's not smoking and still feels strong.....then I think you have quite a few more miles in it. Wilemon makes a good point about the timing belt.....you'll want to change it....check with the dealer to see if they have service records on it. The timing belt/valve train is the type that if the belt breaks, the valves back off and do not cause damage....but it will leave you stranded. Btw, my truck has always made ticking noises....even when it was new.....these things have extremely loud injectors. Run some good injector cleaner through it....they'll probably get even more quiet. I find that using 93 octane gas always makes it run better....I seem to get more power. What's wrong with the P/S pump? Is it leaking.....making noises? Also, while you're checking with the Toyota Dealer on the timing belt maintenance, check to see if your truck had the headgasket replaced under the recall. If not....get that replaced too.

David

Last edited by Memphis4X4; 06-10-2003 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:08 AM

I would like to thank you guys for your positive responses. I'm going to have to see if the timing belt was replaced or not, that I'm sure of.

The P/S pump seems like it fails if I turn the wheel too fast (I get some resistance there, and I feel that it shouldn't be doing that, but that could be just how they are).

Funny thing is that the ticking of the lifters stopped. Kinda wierd, but im sure it's going to come back soon. I also was a little hard on her while I was testing it to make sure that the power in the engine was still there. That's when the engine made the most ticking noises. There is absolutely no smoke at all coming out of the truck. The Temp stays below the halfway mark. The oil pressure guage is showing good oil pressure. The voltometer is showing 14+ volts when the truck is on, it doesn't fluctuate.

So far this has been the best used truck I have purchased. Seems to me that I'm enjoying driving is like a grandpa more and more. Heck I know the clutch is going to have to be replaced, but until that clutch wont move the truck at all, it's staying in there.

More than likely I will be doing all the repair work myself. If there's any other way to be more intimate with your vehicle by performing all the fixing yourself, I'd like to know. I can't stress how clean the underneath of the truck is! I'm telling you there is NO rust anywhere. The spare tire barley has any dust on it at all! Heck the radio still works. Yeah, there are going to be things that need to be replaced. I know that, but that's why I got the price down so I could have a cushion of cash that will help me get the parts I need to make the repairs that much easier on my wallet. I'm the only one making any income in my household, so I know I gotta save cash as needed.

I'll be on this site religiously to help diagnose problems as they arise. I bought this truck with 4WD for the main purposes of bad weather, not for rockcrawling. When I want to do that, I'll get in my '87 F150 w/6" of suspension lift and 35" GY MT/R's. This is my daily driver and I expect it to last and last and last. It's a Toyota, what else do I have to say!

Peace out!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:22 AM

Hey, congrats on the purchase! Please do not overlook the possibility of noisy injectors (as mentioned above) or an exhuast leak in the manifold/x-over pipe/cat areas-they can sound an awful lot like a valve tick. Your valves can be adjusted, they use replaceable shims or "cups". I think they are solid lifters.

Quick Reply: '92 Toyota Pickup SR5 ticking lifters