Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4WD Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD Steering Issues

It started raining pretty heavily here in San Antonio, TX about 3 days ago and it was necessary for me to transit around town in 4WD HI. Immediately after engaging, I noticed a rumbling sound coming from what I thought was the front driver's side tire/wheel. I haven't been able to hear if it is happening on the other side yet. Anyway, when doing a full-lock left or right turn (or close to steering lock), I sometimes hear and feel a series of sharp "pops" which appear to be coming from the front driver's wheel. Sometimes these "popping" noises will cause the car to stop coasting if I am doing a U-turn which is kinda dangerous. I can keep the 4Runner going on sharp turns by keeping the accelerator down and playing with the clutch, and the popping ceases as I correct the turn back to center, however the rumbling sound remains. As an example, when in reverse and pulling out of my driveway, if at full steering lock, the truck will just stop as if I slammed the brake pedal.

Note that this does not happen at all in 2WD. It's almost as if something is getting in the way of the wheel and either slowing it down or stopping it all together.

Has anyone had this problem or have even the faintest idea as to what it is? Physically and structurally everything looks good, however I don't really know what to look for.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:41 PM
CTB

You are most likely experiencing binding. This happens when you attempt to make really sharp when in 4WD. Your front and rear driveshafts want to turn at different rates, and the transfer case doesn't like that (I hope I said that right). Either way, I will let some other guys chime in on this one as well.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Someone correct me if I wrong but you should never be in 4-hi on pavement unless you are on snow. I heard that you can go in a staight line but you never want to turn because of the binding that will occur just like CTB says. Am I right fellas.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:15 PM

i wouldnt say driving in 4wd on tar is BAD... it should be o.k. if working right. also your front and rear wheels should be able to turn at different rates. what if your stuck somewhere and your back wheels are slipping and the front ones are getting traction? thats what 4wd is for...

you might have some stripped gears in the front, or at least missing teeth. with missing teeth you'd still be able to drive, and you would hear a clunking sound. possibly even jamming up at turns if the loose teeth are getting jammed up.

but wait for some experianced people to answer, cause could be wrong. anyways good luck and let us know whats wrong.