Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner Vibration low speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner Vibration low speed

I have a 2000 4runner limited 4x4 (100% stock) and I just noticed a low speed vibration at about 30 mph. The vibration is intermittent (every 2-3 seconds I can feel it) and I can only feel it through the floorboards on my heels or the gas pedal. It feels worst or most noticable at 30mph and I can't feel it as much or at all on the highway. I can't feel it through the steering wheel. Balanced the tires/wheels at Toyota.

I have 300k km's on it. Replaced a bunch of parts a few months ago (tie rod ends, steering rack bushings, LCA bushings, ball joints, sway bar links, etc) and changed all the fluids (front/rear diff, transfer case and transmission) about a month ago.

I'm not sure when the vibration started, but I only noticed it recently.
I don't think it's driveshaft/u joint related since its most severe at low speeds and I have read u-joints get worst and most noticable at 55mph+.

Any suggestions where to look first?

Last edited by stever1000; 11-16-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Could be a number of things, and only you can solve it without wasting time and money, but from your description the first thing I'd want done is an alignment after doing tie rods although it may not help, next I would question the tires, how many Km's ago was the balancing done, and even if it was a month ago I would suspect tires, then I might even switch a few tires around to see if that made a difference, no difference, maybe mark and pull the rear shaft, 4x4 and try again, afterwards I would grease all 8 drive shaft grease nipples for good luck and try again, but more often than not it is tire related, and it only takes 1 bad 1.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I already had the front end aligned after all the steering parts were replaced. I also greased all the nipples recently as well. Front/back drivelines.

I will try rotating the tires to see if that makes a difference.

Also, I drove around for a bunch last night trying to sense the problem further. It seems to only occur at 30mph plus or minus a few mph. I notice it while coasting. if I accelerate it seems to smooth out or disappear once I hit 40mph. I wonder if it could be anything to do with low RPM at that speed?

I like doing things myself and if I can avoid several hundred dollars in shop fees to figure it out myself (and learn along the way) I would be much happier!

Cheers
Old 11-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Just get under the truck and give it a good shake down. See if the tires will rock side to side and left to right. Just make sure everything is gud-n-tite. The components may be new but that doesn't mean they can't be bad. The best way to check the ball joints is to pry up on the tire with something long. We use a old Ford Superduty drag link at work. Pry up on the tire and have somebody watch the ball joints. If they have even a little bit of play they need replaced.

Also, check to make sure its speed dependent and not RPM dependent. Drop it a gear and drive it where its at the same RPM you were before. If it still shakes just as bad its probably engine balancing trouble. Check the harmonic balancer. Make sure its gud-n-tite, straight and no rubber coming out of it.

I have seen people mistaken a misfire for vibration before.