Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner Transmission Shift Solenoid location???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by element

Excellent write up, sir!

Thanks, but I didn't do that write up, I found it on some Toyota truck forum. It may have been Custom Tacos or maybe TTORA. It is the best write up I've seen on the subject, even better than IPT's write up.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crbocaj125
I just went through a P0773. Unfortunately, Solenoid E is in the upper valve body, which means you have to drop it. I wasn't comfortable doing mine, so I went to the local tranny shop, and paid to have it done. I can't remember if it was $300 or $500.

Here is how it went down for me: I drove with the CEL on for almost a year, the tranny was just using another solenoid to do E's job. Well, when the battery went dead, the tranny "forgot" that E was bad, and tried to use it, which got it stuck in 3rd gear.
Not sure what model tranny you have but on my 2001 V6 Tacoma the 3 soleoids on the valve body are on the bottom side where you can access them without removing the VB (the ATF filter is probably in the way). There are no electrical connectors on the back side of the VB. Unless you mean there is a solenoid above the VB up in the tranny, but the FSM only shows 3. I'll look through my pics of when I had the VB out of mine.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-16-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Ok I looked at my pics (2001 Tacoma 4x4 V6 auto). Note: other years could be different.

Here are 2 of the soleniods with the ATF filter in place:

Here's the 3rd solenoid (I'm not sure but this MIGHT be the SL solenoid I say that because its nearest the front of the VB) with the ATF filter in place, it looks like you may be able to remove this one without removing the ATF filter:

Here's the back side (or top) of the VB, no solenoids here:

Here's the tranny with the VB removed, don't see any solenoids up there:

A closer look, still no solenoids:

Note the wires and connecters for the 3 solenoids on the VB are just hanging now:

Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Thanks, but I didn't do that write up, I found it on some Toyota truck forum. It may have been Custom Tacos or maybe TTORA. It is the best write up I've seen on the subject, even better than IPT's write up.
Sorry, I was the one who was confused. Excellent find though, thank you for sharing.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM

Hey MT GOAT I have 01 4runner 3.4 4wd when I put it in gear it dies took to toyota they said code p0753, p0758, and p1760. They say trans is bad friend says solenoids are bad any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:55 PM

WOW! I wish I would have found this thread sooner. I just paid $1300 to replace a shift solenoid in my 2002 4Runner. I for sure could have done this myself. I specifically asked the mechanic if it was just a part I could replace myself. I told them I am no trans expert but if it is a simple part replacement, I am an aircraft mechanic and have the skill and tools to do that. He told me that they would have to pull the trans out of the car and the part was burried deep inside.

Sons a bi$tching liars!! Wow what a joke. Maybe I will slip and fall on a random oil puddle when I go into thier shop so I can recoup my losses. LOL

Next time I will be sure to check with YotaTech customer service first before I bend over and take it for the team!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 AM

I got the same problem after offroading in uwharrie. I pulled my car into the gas station and it cut out on me. We towed it back home pulled codes (p0100,p0110,p0120). I pulled and cleaned every sensor I could find, alon with the throttle body. Started it up and put in gear and it died. I then started it up in 4 lo dropped the e brake and put it in drive and it drove fine. Took it out of 4 lo and it still drove fine. We drove it to a tranny shop just in case and they couldn't find any thing wrong. It's been driving fine ever since,(2 months) until the other day when it cut out on me as I was slowing down to stop. I put it in 4 lo drove forward a little and took it out of 4 lo and drove it home. I pulled code p0770 something about shift solenoid valve.

My question is with me being able to put my car in 4 lo to get it moving again, have I been doing more harm to my tranny.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM

I just dropped my tranny pan and the magnets had tiny metal slivers all over them. I also found tiny 1/16" rods on a couple of the magnets. I'm not sure if and when the pan was ever dropped. I plan on cleaning out my filter and installing a new solenoid 'e' and closing it back up.

If you have to buy solenoid e it will cost you 277.45 from the dealer.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Just finished replacing my solenoid. It didnt seem that bad. The only problem I had was trying to get the pan back on and getting that first bolt in at the same time. I took it for a test drive after filling it up with fluid, and it drove fine. I erased the code I was getting so now I guess I just drive it and wait.

The fluid that came out of the tranny didnt look that bad. The only thing that concerned me was the amount of metal stuck on the magnets in the pan. But after reading about auto tranny's I think I'm ok.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM

The problem still exists after changing the solenoid, so I took it back to the shop today to see what they say.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Well, I took the 4runner in yesterday to the transmission shop, and he couldn't find anything wrong. He says it sounds like a electrical problem with how intermittent the problem arises. So I broke down and took it to the dealership thinking they would be able to help as a last resort. THey told me after looking at it they could not find any of the codes in the computer's history, or recreate the problem that has been happening to me. So now I guess I just drive it until it happens again and tow it to them and let them figure it out, because I'm out of ideas.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 PM

how do u find if the solenoids are bad im having a shifting problem but all my solenoids click when i hook them to the batterys neg and pos

how do u know if the solenoids are bad?im having a shifting problem and either their bad or the power to them is.i pulled them all out n they click when i connect them to the battery.does that mean thetre good?also when i have the key on and i leave them connected to their wires n unbolt them n tap them to the valve body they dont click like their getting power like they did on my old tranny before this one.how would i know if their getting enough juice?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-27-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM

Might not be a solenoid

Hey guys, I just wanted to alert you to what my 2002 4X4 4Runner was doing when the computer was throwing shift solenoid codes. I found mine to be a bad torque converter. I was a getting a vibration around speeds of 65 MPH and up. I was also experiencing a lound clunking sound when letting on or off the brake and accelerating. It almost felt like slack in the drive line but it was the torque converter. Found one with only 75K in a junk yard for $150. It was in Hartville, Ohio near Akron.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM

Solenoid verse Torque Converter

Originally Posted by JetTech
Hey guys, I just wanted to alert you to what my 2002 4X4 4Runner was doing when the computer was throwing shift solenoid codes. I found mine to be a bad torque converter. I was a getting a vibration around speeds of 65 MPH and up. I was also experiencing a lound clunking sound when letting on or off the brake and accelerating. It almost felt like slack in the drive line but it was the torque converter. Found one with only 75K in a junk yard for $150. It was in Hartville, Ohio near Akron.
So how do you know the difference? I am get the code for shift solenoid, that is reading as the slave solenoid (E) however the codes provided in earlier links said it is the B solenoid. After reading this I am noticing that I am getting really bad vibrations when on the freeway 65 and up, and a very loud ride. I am not getting an clunking or slack, could this be the solenoid? Or the torque converter? And how do you test the torque converter?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by jij0226
I just dropped my tranny pan and the magnets had tiny metal slivers all over them. I also found tiny 1/16" rods on a couple of the magnets. I'm not sure if and when the pan was ever dropped. I plan on cleaning out my filter and installing a new solenoid 'e' and closing it back up.

If you have to buy solenoid e it will cost you 277.45 from the dealer.

I have 2001 4runner SR5 I called the dealer and they advised that I have 3 solenoids and E (slot/space) per the code wasn't an option. Is E specific to a year or 4 wheel drive? Thanks for any help. New 4 runner owner and codes are killing me P0750 is the code reads as (E) but previous listing is showing that it would be solenoid B -from MT GOAT Sorry that would be A

Last edited by pppygoddess; 03-04-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

From goggling "P0750" the first link I got was this: http://engine-codes.com/p0750.html

Looks like it might help.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM

The issue that I am having at the moment is becoming more of a common issue.

At times it shifts fine. At others it shifts hard. Hard to the point that it broke the trans mount.

It is worse when cold and smooths out when driven and at operating temps.
I have pulled codes in the past referring to shift solenoid E but am of the understanding that E is unused.

It does not operate correctly while in gear at a stop. It feels as if the truck wants to launch while at a red light in gear.

I am going to start by checking all solenoids, valve body, replacing the filter and fluid.
I believe that the issue is the torque converter but have a question on replacing the TQ.

I am running a stock 5vz to the stock auto trans to 4cil stock geared dual cases. I have 4.88 gears in the diffs and 40" tires.
I would like to run a stronger TQ and am wondering if anyone else is running one and if they might have a part number or can point me in the right direction.

Last edited by Rocksteady Outdoors; 03-26-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 PM

2001 Tranny diagram needed

Hi All.

I have the replacement part for my issue with the shift solenoid, does anyone know where I can get a diagram of where the solenoid is? I have a 2001 Toyota 4runner 2 wheel drive. I need a diagram to know which one it actually is under the pan.... I do not want to screw this up! I am replacing the Shift Solenoid located in the "first" spot according to Toyota. What is the first solenoid????
And yes I do better with pictures AND words, as I am a girl! I have tried to locate on line and that is not working. Any help would be fab. Oh and MT_Goat... your help was amazing!!!! Thank you for your previous help!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Changed all solenoids get the same code

Toyota 2001 4 runner 2 wheel drive. I changed out all of the solenoids (total of 3) and I just got the check engine light again. The code is the same p0770 that pesky shift solenoid!!! Any ideas guys and gals? I am now thinking it is a wiring or electrical issue, as I know the solenoids are all good. I have run the suv with the code reader; everything is engaging like it should. No hard shifting; no sticking. How do I get rid of the check engine light if there is nothing mechanical wrong? Please provide any wisdom that can help, as I am slowly going bonkers as I have "fixed" what was the issue!! Thanks in advance,
pppygoddess
Old 02-18-2015, 04:50 PM

thread revive! I'm getting p0773, although i still don't have a clear idea as to which one that is. Is it the shift solenoid SL, the one closest to the engine?

Quick Reply: 4Runner Transmission Shift Solenoid location???