Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3vze Rough Idle and Exhaust Gurgle

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3vze Rough Idle and Exhaust Gurgle

First off, I am a new guy and I want to say that this site is great. I have been reading stuff on here for the last week and I still don't think I have scratched the surface. Now on the the question.

I have 1994 4x4 PU w/ a 3vze. It doesn't want to idle very well. The engine seems to idle a little fast and rough. I also hear and gurgling sound coming from the exhaust. The roughness is at it's worst just off idle. The whole trick shakes a little just off idle, other wise at idle it idle quality is just poor. I have removed the throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I did remove the TPS but I didn't see any carbon buildup or anything. I cleaned out all of the passages for the vacuum lines etc... I found a crack in the big hose the connects to the throttle body. I taped it up very well( the dealer wants $70 for a new one). I also removed the idle screw and cleaned it and the hole out. One thing that is odd is that the fuel pressure regulator is clicking pretty loudly. Is that normal?

One other question, why is there coolant going through the throttle body?

Thanks for any info,

Bill
Old 09-17-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whays
First off, I am a new guy and I want to say that this site is great. I have been reading stuff on here for the last week and I still don't think I have scratched the surface. Now on the the question.

I have 1994 4x4 PU w/ a 3vze. It doesn't want to idle very well. The engine seems to idle a little fast and rough. I also hear and gurgling sound coming from the exhaust. The roughness is at it's worst just off idle. The whole trick shakes a little just off idle, other wise at idle it idle quality is just poor. I have removed the throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I did remove the TPS but I didn't see any carbon buildup or anything. I cleaned out all of the passages for the vacuum lines etc... I found a crack in the big hose the connects to the throttle body. I taped it up very well( the dealer wants $70 for a new one). I also removed the idle screw and cleaned it and the hole out. One thing that is odd is that the fuel pressure regulator is clicking pretty loudly. Is that normal?

One other question, why is there coolant going through the throttle body?

Thanks for any info,

Bill
Greetings!
When you put your tps back on did you respec it with an ohmeter?
The coolant goes through the t-body because the computer bases the idle,injector opening, enrichment,...,off of different input sensors on the engine > tps,afm,temp. sensor...!
Do you have any stored codes on this engine? under ye olde hood next to the fuse box is a diagnostic connector, take a paper clip & jump "te" & "e1", turn your ign. key to on but do not start, count the "blinks" example: ** short pause *, would be a code 21, if there are more codes then there will be a long pause & it will flash the next code if you have only 1 code, there will be a long pause & the code will repeat itself, if you have no codes it will flash real fast!
Rough idle on a 3.0 could be an airpocket also in your cooling system, make sure you check that also!
Explain your "gurgling" out the exhaust, it doesn't smoke or any thing does it? You know that these 3.0 had an extensive headgasket recall!!
There isn't water/coolant coming out the exhaust is there!
Check your coolant!
Let us know!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:06 PM

Nunsa, thanks for the reply.

Did you know the Coast Guard and the Marine Corp have a common enemy?......The Navy!

Anyway,

1. I jumped the terminals and no codes just a quick flash of the MIL.

2. I had the head gaskets replaced under warranty about 100k ago. I also do not have any coolant loss issues or water in the oil. I have replaced the coolant every 30,000 with new orange prestone. Also no smoke or water coming out of exhaust. Well, this truck has always dripped a little water out of the tail pipe.

3. I marked the TPS with a scribe before I pulled it off. I installed it back in it's original position. I have not put a meter to it though.

4. It's funny that you should mention the air pocket deal. This idle stuff started happening right after I changed my timing belt. When I put new coolant in I ran the engine without the rad cap for a while and squeezed the top hose to try to pump as much coolant into the motor as poss. I poured as much coolant in as I thought I could and capped the radiator. After driving a couple of days I pulled the cap off to see if there was any more room for additional coolant and the rad was full. How would a air pocket affect my idle though? Also what is the best way to guarantee that the cooling system is full? Also, is the IAC controlled by the coolant going through the throttle body? Can the IAC be removed from the T-body with out opening up a can of worms?

5. The exhaust gurgle is hard to describe, i'll send you an email with a recording.

Any further response is appreciated!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:24 PM

3. I marked the TPS with a scribe before I pulled it off. I installed it back in it's original position. I have not put a meter to it though.

you needa adjust it with the meter, I can harly get mine right with the meter.. and even with a marking where it was origonally, it's probably still off. Just a hair movement can get it outa wack.

Last edited by SolidDigital; 09-17-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nunsa, thanks for the reply.

Did you know the Coast Guard and the Marine Corp have a common enemy?......The Navy!

Anyway,

1. I jumped the terminals and no codes just a quick flash of the MIL.

2. I had the head gaskets replaced under warranty about 100k ago. I also do not have any coolant loss issues or water in the oil. I have replaced the coolant every 30,000 with new orange prestone. Also no smoke or water coming out of exhaust. Well, this truck has always dripped a little water out of the tail pipe.

4. It's funny that you should mention the air pocket deal. This idle stuff started happening right after I changed my timing belt. When I put new coolant in I ran the engine without the rad cap for a while and squeezed the top hose to try to pump as much coolant into the motor as poss. I poured as much coolant in as I thought I could and capped the radiator. After driving a couple of days I pulled the cap off to see if there was any more room for additional coolant and the rad was full. How would a air pocket affect my idle though? Also what is the best way to guarantee that the cooling system is full? Also, is the IAC controlled by the coolant going through the throttle body? Can the IAC be removed from the T-body with out opening up a can of worms?

5. The exhaust gurgle is hard to describe, i'll send you an email with a recording.

Any further response is appreciated!
Like Solid Dig. said, you need to respec your TPS, try this link:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
As I learned from going to school for Toyota, the best way to get an air pocket out is to remove the upper rad. hose from the rad. and fill it with coolant here, reattach hose, turn heater to "hot" and watch her warm up and "burp" it works every time, if not, try a Toyota T-stat, they always worked for me!
A little water out the exh. is normal, no harm no foul!
If you have an air pocket, the temp sensor can't get a true reading of the engine temp nor the computer, thus the computer sees a cold engine and it will idle high..., because the comp. is enriching because it sees a cold engine verses a warm engine! What makes you think its the IAC! Don't you think it wold have acted bad before the t-belt?
Good Luck@!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:18 PM

Nunsa,

To expand on the exhaust gurgle, the exhaust actually puffs a little more exhaust out the tail pipe?

Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM

i have a similar problem about three days ago i was drivng my 4runner pretty fast to school cause i was running late and then when i got out of school and then went to start it the motor felt shakey and it started to sputter and its has never done that and the check engine light come on once but i turned the heater on and it when way idk if the heater made it go away or it went away coincidently as i turned the heater on. the motor has 15,000 miles on it 3vze.

Last edited by banoobee17; 04-30-2011 at 09:18 PM.