Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen tranny question???

Old 06-16-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen tranny question???

I tried doing a search but didnt really find anything on this ...my '98 Runner does this when you come to a complete stop then go. It feels like the tranny is trying to catch up or something like it really hasnt shifted completely down to 1st. It kindof has a thump to it when you go. Has anyone run into this or ever had this problem. An suggestions would be great!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:55 AM

I have the same problem on my 03 Tacoma! You should PM Transdude, he know everything about tranny's!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:10 PM

Increase the level of your tranny fluid.

Gadget
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gadget
Increase the level of your tranny fluid.

Gadget
Its that EASY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:16 PM

Ok but wont having too much fluid in the tranny cause problems? Ive checked it and it seems to be right where it should be. Should i try draining and topping it off with new? I dont know the maint. history on thhis Runner cuz i bought it used. If i drain and refill what fluid should i put back in since i dont know whats in there and i know i wont get it all out without flushing. Can you mix tranny fluids with other brands or will it hurt it.?
Old 06-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

I have a problem like that with my 02. Sometimes i'll come to a stop and then it'll buck on me a little bit. I think it's me easing off the brakes, but it's not. Plus I have and over filled tranny from the factory or dealership I believe. way past the hot mark when cold.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mattk
Ok but wont having too much fluid in the tranny cause problems? Ive checked it and it seems to be right where it should be. Should i try draining and topping it off with new? I dont know the maint. history on thhis Runner cuz i bought it used. If i drain and refill what fluid should i put back in since i dont know whats in there and i know i wont get it all out without flushing. Can you mix tranny fluids with other brands or will it hurt it.?
OK, lets review.

Try increasing the level of the tranny fluid.

Mine needs to be at least 1/2-3/4" above the top hot mark or I will have the same problem.

It is that simple. Try it...

Gadget
Old 06-16-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I have a problem like that with my 02. Sometimes i'll come to a stop and then it'll buck on me a little bit. I think it's me easing off the brakes, but it's not. Plus I have and over filled tranny from the factory or dealership I believe. way past the hot mark when cold.
That sounds like you need to PROPERLY ADJUST YOUR REAR BRAKES, and PROPERLY LUBE THE PROPELLER SHAFT.

Gadget
Old 06-16-2004, 03:22 PM

That sounds like you need to PROPERLY ADJUST YOUR REAR BRAKES, and PROPERLY LUBE THE PROPELLER SHAFT.

Gadget
G-Man a buddy of mine told me to lube the propeller shaft! How would I do that?
OTS.....How was AZ?
Old 06-16-2004, 03:47 PM

With a grease gun of course.

AZ was great once the Sun went down. It was hot there and the gas sucked. Not the best world for superchargers.

Did get to meet up with some nice folks!

Gadget
Old 06-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if its on a Tacoma, its called axle wrap. It's "normal."
Old 06-16-2004, 05:09 PM

With a grease gun of course.

AZ was great once the Sun went down. It was hot there and the gas sucked. Not the best world for superchargers.

Did get to meet up with some nice folks!

Gadget
Glad you liked it here! HA HA HA!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Well, if its on a Tacoma, its called axle wrap. It's "normal."
Thanks C! I will look it up in the manual.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

You wont find that in the manual. Basically, its the axle shifting forward when you come to a stop, then settling back into place - if I remember correctly. My 98 Taco used to do it all the time.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:52 PM

Ok so it sounds like i need to do a grease job.....? My level on the tranny is a little high... just checked it. So what exactly do i need to grease? And on the draining and refilling of the trany can i mix brands on fluid?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattk
Ok so it sounds like i need to do a grease job.....? My level on the tranny is a little high... just checked it. So what exactly do i need to grease? And on the draining and refilling of the trany can i mix brands on fluid?
You need to grease the rear drive shaft slip joint. The drive shaft is actually made in two parts, and the connect together near the rear axle. There is a splined shaft which fits into a splined socket. This joint allows the drive shaft to lengthen or shorten when the rear suspension moves up and down. When this joint is stiff, it will sometimes 'jump' when moving which causes the thump you are feeling. The outer sleeve of the splined socket has a zerk fitting which you attach a grease gun hose fitting to. Put 6-8 pumps of grease into the joint and you should start missing the thump in a couple of days as the grease settles into the joint.

As for the tranny fluid, it's best to stay with the recommended fluid. Sometimes mixing different types or brands can have unexpected results.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:01 PM

So if i dont mix trans fluid then how do i get all the fluid out without flushing. And if i need to just add i dont know whats in there now.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:17 PM

Flush it.

You can do it yourself at home.

It is easy. You just need a big bucket, a funnel, and 5 gals of ATF.

You will find the home flush proceedure in the FAQ section of the AMSOIL website. It is as effective as the cooler line flush I speak about on my site.

Go to my site

www.GadgetOnline.com/AMSOIL.htm

and follow the links to the coporate site and look for the proceedure.

Gadget
Old 03-13-2005, 06:51 PM

if i can't figure out how to do this, since this is our 1st 4wd, how much would a garage charge to grease this?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by dallison
if i can't figure out how to do this, since this is our 1st 4wd, how much would a garage charge to grease this?
You really can do it. Buy yourself a grease gun, a flexible hose adapter, and a cartridge of grease. Get under your truck and locate the drive shaft. Like was said earlier, the shaft is actually two parts and it is fairly easy to see where they join. At this junction is a collar with a zerk fitting (a nipple). Get 5 - 10 pumps of grease into this fitting and you're set - as far as your slip is concerned.

Now you can shift to the propeller joints and DC joints. Again, look for the nipples and pump until the new grease pushes out the old.

Ditto for the front shaft.

You can do a search and also look for a write-up. The topic has been covered. Also, it wouldn't to buy a workshop/repair manual, ideally the factory Toyota manual, but a haynes or chiltons would be great to have also.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen tranny question???