Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen does not want to move???

Old 12-28-2004, 09:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3rd Gen does not want to move???

I got a call this evening from a co-worker whose brother-in-law's 2000 Limited won't move.

I went over to their house, like a good "Yotatecher" should, to see if I could help out. I jumped in and fired her up, put it in "drive" and it wouldn't move and inch, so I tried reverse and it seemed to move easily that way (I backed up about 2 feet or so), I again tried to go forward and it won't go. I could feel it trying so I gave it a little more gas and then BANG!!! Well it was more like a loud "ka-thump" (if that makes any sense), and it freed up and rolled easily forward.

I figured right away that maybe the e-brake was locking or freezing up but when I stopped and backed up again then put it in drive to go forward again the same thing happened. It wouldn't move. I tried reversing and it seemed to be fine that way. That is untill I tried to back it off the road and into the driveway. It went about 3 feet or so and started to lock up again. So I stopped and left it there and told them to get it towed to a shop. I didn't want to do any damage to it since I didn't know what was doing it.

SOOO..... All you wise old "yotatechers" out there, What do you think is the problem?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the transmission to me...did you try putting it in 2nd or low gear? i would check out the transmission...your torque converter should be alirght but there might be some broken gears somewhere..its not the transfer case or the rear gears because they are movign one way which means they should move the other. im sure more people will prove me wrong or add so best of luck to you and your colleuge
Old 12-28-2004, 09:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried 2nd too, and low as well. Also, in 4-hi and 4-low too. It seems to be coming from the rear-end. Taking it in and out of gear seems normal to me. It feels like something is binding in the rear end. But it's hard to tell from inside the cab.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might want to check out the obvious stuff like bent driveshaft, serious damage to u-joints, etc. Then I would jack up the rear end and try to spin each tire by hand (if not then check the drum brakes). Next I would disconnect the driveshaft at the rear and see if I can turn the pinion gear by hand (or use a socket on the nut, but don't put any serious pressure on it, it should turn pretty easily unless the gears are screwed). That would pretty much leave the tranny as the culprit if all else checks out (also be sure to lube the driveshaft zerk fittings while you are under there....sometimes the driveshaft can bind at the slip joint and cause the bang as well).
Old 12-29-2004, 01:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing 2 winters ago and i thought it was the parking brake too...was the rear diff. Stealer told me pins came out and other stuff was broken too. Needed whole new rear gears.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:02 AM

how much did that run you b/c i need to replace mine
Old 12-29-2004, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

I had it done by the dealer it was covered by an extended warrenty. They robbed my warrenty company of like 1500 dollars. But if you buy gears and have some of the more mechanicaly inclined guys on this site help you it could be done MUCH cheaper. If you havent changed your gearing you should be able to find them cheap at a junkyard. And I know a bunch of these guys/ girls have done it themselves. You should start another thread asking for help on the subject.