Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 Water Pump Replacement....Too Corroded For Molded Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3.4 Water Pump Replacement....Too Corroded For Molded Gasket??

Hi folks,
Doing the water pump on a '99 T4R and I got a good OEM Aisin replacement that has the pressed steel and molded gasket. Problem is that I think the block surface is too corroded as you can see by the pics. I have never used this type of gasket before. Just the run of the mill composite type.
Do you guys think this one will conform to the corroded groove that is just about where the molded lip will reside?
If not I will just goop up the regular style. I sure would like to use this one but not at the expense of having to get back in there if it leaks.

Thanx!

Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Clean the engine side up .

I use the Roloc Pads for Aluminum If not Scotch Bright pads work.

That should clean up nice and smooth.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The gasket shown should work just fine. It would likely be better than "gooping up the regular style". But some properly applied RTV would probably work best(on its own). That's what I would(and do) use. It's what the FSM says to use as well.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MudHippy
The gasket shown should work just fine. It would likely be better than "gooping up the regular style". But some properly applied RTV would probably work best(on its own). That's what I would(and do) use. It's what the FSM says to use as well.
Just to be clear, that FSM was written before Toyota redesigned the pump to use the gasket, instead of the groove and FIPG goop that came from the factory. Presumably, they would not have redesigned it if it worked all that well.

Somehow it appears the FIPG in the original installation corroded your block faces where the original grooves faced off to the block. I changed my factory pump at 120 k and those surfaces cleaned up perfectly flat and the new style water pump with gasket and no goop has worked great for 50k and going strong. I have no idea why your block faces came out like that.

In your case, that rough channel is just where the rubber gasket would contact. That would worry me. I don't think there is an ideal solution (unless you can find an old style channel-and-FIPG-type pump), but I think I'd lay down a bead of RTV in that channel and then use the gasket. Then keep your fingers crossed.

Using just RTV and no gasket is intended for a pump with a groove in the flange. Your pump has no groove. So I don't know if that would work.@Mudhippy Is that what you have done? Install the NEW style no-groove pump without the gasket and just RTV? And it's worked? And uhhh...why? The gasket is a clear improvement. What you are doing is taking a method that needed redesign and make it worse (by no channel in the pump flange.)

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-14-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No. And if I did, I wouldn't use the new style gasket. I'd just use a paper gasket. Which is also just fine for any style.

I'm only speaking on which I am seeing. He obviously didn't have the new style pump. Who said anything about a new style pump. That's a new style gasket. But that doesn't tell me what style pump he's using.

BTW, DO NOT use RTV on/with a rubber gasket. That's a big time no no. Says so right on the tube/package. Yes, I know. What about the valve covers? ONLY as directed by the FSM then...technicalities. I definitely wouldn't in this instance.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-14-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
No. And if I did, I wouldn't use the new style gasket. I'd just use a paper gasket. Which is also just fine for any style.

I'm only speaking on which I am seeing. He obviously didn't have the new style pump. Who said anything about a new style pump. That's a new style gasket. But that doesn't tell me what style pump he's using.

BTW, DO NOT use RTV on/with a rubber gasket. That's a big time no no. Says so right on the tube/package. Yes, I know. What about the valve covers? ONLY as directed by the FSM then...technicalities. I definitely wouldn't in this instance.
Good advice, guys. The pump I bought is a new Aisin pump with the flat machined faces. I was going to either:

1 - Put the new style molded rubber gasket on with a very small bead of "Right Stuff" just adjacent to the molded rubber on the outer edge of the metal gasket.

2 - Put on the composite gasket with a very light film of Right Stuff on both sides of the gasket surface.

3 - Brush on Permatex Aviation gasket sealer to the composite gasket.

I like the rubber molded gasket and that would work fine with two flat surfaces but I am leery about just slapping it on this block as is.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That aisin gasket will be fine! Its the best gssket you could get. And no dont run just some rtv. If it makes you sleep better just lay down a small layer of black fipg on the surface before you put the gasket and water pump on. You will be fine. And i have seen wesr like that before from pumps that have either never been replaced with coolsnt that has never been replaced. And also from people who use crummy sftermarket water pumps and use rtv and those ghetto paper gaskets. Why anyone would use thst still blows my mind