Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

285's and lift on but... CV problems.. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i attempted to fix the cv boots today with no success lol . i went to advance auto, they had cv clamps but they were the oem style and i do not have the tool to tighten those so i left with metal zip ties. wish i would have picked up the regular plastic ones. the metal ones will not work because they have too much play before they "catch" so i can not tighten them down enough , when ever they are tight they back out a bit. I am going to try regular zip ties tomorrow, if that does not work i guess i will get the cv clamps and find the tool.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:39 AM

did you do the diff. drop kit?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by tigertowncruiser
i attempted to fix the cv boots today with no success lol . i went to advance auto, they had cv clamps but they were the oem style and i do not have the tool to tighten those so i left with metal zip ties. wish i would have picked up the regular plastic ones. the metal ones will not work because they have too much play before they "catch" so i can not tighten them down enough , when ever they are tight they back out a bit. I am going to try regular zip ties tomorrow, if that does not work i guess i will get the cv clamps and find the tool.
Dude, seriously...we told you not to use them for that very reason. Save yourself some time and money and get the proper clamps.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Save yourself the headache and just replace the CV axles. I had the exact same problem after I put my Sonoran Steel 1.2 on....both my CV's blew almost immediately. I screwed around for a week and tryed different things to save them....but I ended up ordering a set of Cardone's online and swapped both sides out in less than an hour. Old CV's will blow quick after a large amount of lift...
'

Last edited by OSU4Runner; 11-29-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Oh ya....and if you do replace the CV's stay away from Autozone and Advanced Auto brands. Go for the Cardone's.....trust me.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bgmac
Dude, seriously...we told you not to use them for that very reason. Save yourself some time and money and get the proper clamps.
advance auto did not have the clamps you have in your picture. if they did i would have gotten them. The cv clamps they had require the tool to tighten them. The metal zip ties i did get look almost exactly like the cv clamps you have. I would replace the cv's but the cv's in my car are not bad , just the boots leak. the oem clamps are loose enough that the boot spins around the shaft. I believe if i get a tight clamp on there , they will last for some time. I would rather "throw away" $10 on clamps trying to fix the problem easily if it saves me the headache of changing both the cv's out. If i had brand new cv's , they would still leak if the clamps were loose. I will see how it goes tonight, if i cant get them tightened down i wil order online the tool and cv clamps. thanks for the tips everyone
Old 11-30-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by tigertowncruiser
advance auto did not have the clamps you have in your picture. if they did i would have gotten them. The cv clamps they had require the tool to tighten them. The metal zip ties i did get look almost exactly like the cv clamps you have. I would replace the cv's but the cv's in my car are not bad , just the boots leak. the oem clamps are loose enough that the boot spins around the shaft. I believe if i get a tight clamp on there , they will last for some time. I would rather "throw away" $10 on clamps trying to fix the problem easily if it saves me the headache of changing both the cv's out. If i had brand new cv's , they would still leak if the clamps were loose. I will see how it goes tonight, if i cant get them tightened down i wil order online the tool and cv clamps. thanks for the tips everyone
Putting clamps on them isn't going to fix the problem. They will just slip and the boots will continue leaking. Without changing both CV's, the only thing you could do is remove both shafts, breakdown them down, clean and repack the boots with grease, and reclamp them, then re-install them. I tried just clamping my boots again with them on the truck, the clamps lasted about a mile of driving, then blew again. I could have rebuilt my CV's, but didn't want to spend the time on it. It took me an hour to replace both shafts, and I spent $120....so those are your best options IMO.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
That doesn't matter, your not alterning an alignment if you change a cv........ The only part you unbolt is the lbj from the spindle, which is 4x14mm (socket), so when you put it together and take it apart there is nothing for there to be changed.
Not true. It can change the toe setting slightly when bolted back together. I know this for fact as I can loosen and retighten if the steering wheel is slightly off to correct it. In fact, I have done it as recently as last week on my personal 4runner.

Its a minute difference, but it is there.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Yes, hose clamps will usually tear the boots with the raised part where the screw goes through so I think zip ties are better. This happened to me too and I used hose clamps, tore the boots after a month or so, cleaned it up, duct taped the hell out of the cvs and drove it like that for a year or more. Ended up replacing them (before they failed even) with no problems ever again. Get a $20 diff drop and that will help too. You'd be surprised how long they'll go even after all the grease has flung out!
where you get $20 diff drop?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cal01
where you get $20 diff drop?
You should be able to get it for 29.99 + s/h from wheelers, toytec, wabfab, 4crawler, etc......
Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Not true. It can change the toe setting slightly when bolted back together. I know this for fact as I can loosen and retighten if the steering wheel is slightly off to correct it. In fact, I have done it as recently as last week on my personal 4runner.

Its a minute difference, but it is there.
Hmmm, still it ain't much and plus If I got an alignment each time I had my front end apart i'd be in big debt, and if you actually wheel your alignment is going to be off at somepoint.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
Hmmm, still it ain't much and plus If I got an alignment each time I had my front end apart i'd be in big debt, and if you actually wheel your alignment is going to be off at somepoint.
True. It was mainly just to point out that he should do it before he gets the alignment done.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Bump for pics!

I'm saving for the KM2s I need some incentive.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM

PM me for a used diff drop shipped in the Con US for $20. I don't need mine anymore. Been on my truck for about a year but my lift is pretty mild compared to most.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of alignment shops offer lifetime alignments, costs more upfront but if you are anal about your alignment then its something to look into.

<3's my solid axle. =P
Old 12-02-2009, 12:10 PM

im about to use heavy duty dirt bike tires for my new boots ill let you know what happens. trying a new approach because ive replaced my cvs 4 times this year and im tired of it. with the lift i have even the longer boots with slack just tear wide open.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by griffin1ets
im about to use heavy duty dirt bike tires for my new boots ill let you know what happens. trying a new approach because ive replaced my cvs 4 times this year and im tired of it. with the lift i have even the longer boots with slack just tear wide open.
What kind of lift do you have? Which coil/shock combination?