Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22RE problems

Old 08-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE problems

I got home from work today and immediately went to work - gave my runner a little Seafoam (about 1/3 pint) and noticed some popping sounds when I disconnected the PCV line. Anyone know anything about that?

After that I changed the fuel filter (there was a FRAM on there ).

I took it out on the road and I am pretty satisfied with the little gain of power. I didn't feel like I had to shift as early as I did before and the annoying ticking sound I heard before was gone

Some concerns though:

1 - already mentioned, the popping sound when I removed the PCV - sounded like it was coming from the exhaust manifold.

2- my exhaust gives a metallic farting sound (sorry, no other way to explain it) every time I ease off after pulling the throttle or giving it gas.

3- every 10 seconds or so the idle will kind of cough as if it's about to stall and then regain strength. Could this be from my sparkplugs that are no doubt covered in soot by now?

4- lastly, I pinpointed an exhaust leak near sparkplug #4 (closest to the cab). Will this be a bad seal for the exhaust? Or could it be something else? I used a tissue paper strand to determine where the exhaust was coming from but I couldn't isolate it beyond the general location.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help!!!

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 08-23-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

Peter! What did you do to dino?! I dont know about the farting/popping but it might help to use soap water to find the leak (when engine is cool), it sounds like your exahust mainfold is leaking at the gasket (think its kinda common... I have a leak and I tried to fix it last year, the gasket maker stuff worked for a few days, then the leak came back), might wanna tighten the bolts up a little.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm thinking that it was the gasket - I just want to make sure it isn't something else

I'm a bit concerned about the idle and the exhaust though...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It kinda sounds like at least 2, if not 1 and 2 are caused by 4. Number 2 sounds like its definately caused by an exhast leak. If the exhaust leak is by the plug, it would most likely be the exhaust gasket, that seals the manifold to the head. If its not that, and its right by the plug, it could be a cracked manifold. I haven't owned yotas long enough to know if they have issues with cracking manifolds. I had an olds once that did, but from what I've seenand heard, I don't think that toyotas do... As for number 3.... it could be plugs or an idle adjustment. See what some of the other guys think, that have some years on me.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I was talking to a welder a little while ago at a muffler shop and he was telling me that the exhaust manifold is a weakness in the 22RE. He said something about the torque of the engine revving always pulls on the exhaust. I can see what he's talking about...

Good to hear the you think it's all related. Means I can get it all solved with one fix

As for the idle - I'm seriously thinking that it may be the sparkplugs as I replaced the old ones with 30K old Densos from my Tacoma so those would be fouled by the Seafoam before I changed new ones in. I may do a few more treatments and then change the plugs.

but yes I would like to hear from some more people... any other input?