Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22R Carb to EFI Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R Carb to EFI Swap

Today I bought a pickup for $500 with 99k on the engine. I am swaping the engine into my 4Runner as soon as it gets to my house but first I will switch it from Carburated to EFI.

Has anyone done this before and if so is all that has to be done the intake manifold. I was looking at it yesterday know also I must change the fuel pump too.

I am keeping the brain with the EFI system, and the carb brain with the carb. If I swaped would there be problems? (working engine with original brain)

Can I take off the EFI system in 1 piece, straight from the head?

I also noticed there was a tube coming from the heat sheild and tubes runing ontop of the header. They werent on my EFI, what are they and what do I do with them? I will be replacing my header too, to the one on my 4Runner.

Anything else you can think of would be a great help. This is my big project to get my 4Runner back on the road so lemme know everything.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 06-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Another question, How do you relieve fuel pressure on 1) Carburated and 2) Fuel Injection Engines?
Thanks Again
Old 06-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Banned

not sure on the carb... dont think there is internal pressure unless its running being powered by the fuel pump other than gravity....

on a FI-you need to relaese pressure at the fuel rail
Old 06-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i may be wrong, but i think the 22RE has different intake ports, and that manifold wont fit a 22R head
Old 06-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

If 84 or newer, the engine shoud work. You are changine the engine only. All switches, electronics (distributor), fuel system, and exhaust stay with the truck they came with,
Old 06-21-2004, 08:26 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
You need to take the entire head with it, so you'll need the EFI exhaust system too. You'll also need the entire fuel system - the high pressure pump with regulator and fuel lines - all of it. And yep you'll need the EFI brain. And the distributor too I think... There's a lot of differences, but the block is the same so it should all swap over.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
actually marlin cleared it up. ALL plenums will swap on an '83 and up engine. as long as this is true for your motor, you'll just need to swap the EFI manifold and guts, and ditch the mechanical fuel pump.

so you should be able to unbolt the carbed manifolds from the engine and bolt the efi right up
Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 AM

Yea, I am leaving everything In my truck and switching the block and cyl head, thats it. I am taking the EFI system intake manifold and the exhaust header and putting it on the carbed block and cyl head with the carb intake and the carb exhauts removed, and the fuel pump and anything else in the fuel system. I have been told this works and I am hoping it does. Any other suggestions will be great, thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 01:07 PM

depending on year, you might need to weld a nut to one of the motor mounts as a knock sensor
Old 06-21-2004, 08:42 PM

Explain this knock sensor nut, when having a high idle one told me to check this out but it went away so i never did.

I will probably examine both blocks in their entirety, and look for any differences. If there is any I didnt notice before I will find out what they are and switch them.

In the Haynes manual it says to relive fuel pressure in the EFI engine you must have the truck runing and splice 2 wires or 2 fuses (something like that, remove power) that connect to the fuel pump and wait till the engine stalls. If I can only crank it and have it churn for about 2 seconds, what should I do?

Thanks for the advise and I guess I'll take some pix along the way so if anyone wanted to try this It would be easier.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:53 AM

i think the 22RE didn't get provisions for a knock sensor until 1985, when they changed blocks. the early 22RE motors that were used in celicas didn't use a knock sensor as they had an analog fuel injection system.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:45 AM

Ok so I got the pickup today and Inspected them both, it looks like some rail below the intake manifold is a little different, the EFI one has a hose coming out. Also the distributor is differnet, i'll just switch em. I got the RE header off and distributor so far but i gotta go to work.

Should I remove the power steering pump from the old one and switch it onto the new one so I dont have to flush the system? Or just leave it on the block?

As of now I am just removing and labeling hoses and plugs. I am still curious to how the fuel pressure will go seeing i cant short the pump and relieve it. I have a feeling it will just pump whats left in the line, not soo bad, just gas.

I am missing something but when I remember what it is i'll post it, Thanks.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 PM

Update: Got the air chamber and all studs except for 1 to the intake manifold out. wireing harness to the EFI unpluged.

There is 1 huge stud going through the intake manifold that has some form of alan rench head. Didnt have it at 230 AM so I stopped, worse tool to get stuck on. I can understand a socket or something like that, but who doesnt have an alan rench?

Kinda sketched out about htese 2 hoses that a mechanic took off that werent labeld, anyone have a detailed picture of the EFI system with hoses included?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:45 AM

As far as fuel pressure relieving ,just crack loose the bolt at the fuel filter(with a rag around it.If the truck has been sitting for days you wont have too much pressure.You might have to plug off the fuel line from the tank,sometime they gravity drain.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:23 PM

Ran into the hugest problem ever, that last stud for the intake is in there and stripped somewhat. Thing goes like 6-7" deep and is RETARTED!!! I dont know if there is a correct alan rench size for it though beucase the 6mm was too small but the 8mm was too big, and the standard sizes didnt fit (there is no 7mm).

And worse is its under the fuel rail and you cant grip and crank it.

Anyone have any advise on how to get this out?

I am goign to try to drill a very small hole through the head and put something through it and turn it. If that doesnt work I will take the fuel rail out and cut a flat headish line through the top and just try to unscrew it. Any other ideas?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:07 PM

Update: Got the intake manifold out and its pretty naked, such a skinny block. Did the hole drilling thing and cranked it.

Very little fuel came out.

Does the fuel filter stay with the EFI?

There is this shiny 1/2 ball going into the block that had a small wire coming out of it, what is it?

There is deffinetly some rail/hose that is slightly different on the EFI than the carb, coming from the Oil pump i believe. It runs down the left side of the block just below where the cylinder head rests. The EFI one goes out at two places like a backwards L while the carburated just goes straight back parallel to the block. I think you can just switch em and it'll be okay but it deffinetly sketched me out at first.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like I get to do the same thing tomorrow. Son's 85 22RE threw a rod today. He has an 85 22R parts truck with good engine.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda
Looks like I get to do the same thing tomorrow. Son's 85 22RE threw a rod today. He has an 85 22R parts truck with good engine.
Yea Im havin fun right now doin it. The only major problem we ran into so far Is a bolt hidden under the fuel rail that I think is a 6mm alan rench, but we stripped it pretty bad. Also the bolts on the heat sheild crack.

But the rest is pretty easy, we did the carburated one last night in like 3 hours after the other one taking us like 5 here and there, due to not having the right tools sometimes.

Also when taking the header off the carburated there is a tube kinda going ontop of the fathest back top bolt, i dunno if mine bent but you kinda just pry it back so the socket fits under.
Allright Goodluck,
Alex
Old 06-29-2004, 02:07 PM

Just read this and kinda freaked. Can anyone verify that the cam is different from a carbed to EFI engine? Both are 87's I believe.
Thanks a lot, Alex
Old 06-29-2004, 11:02 PM

there is no difference between cams in 22r or 22re engines

Quick Reply: 22R Carb to EFI Swap