95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 4Runner questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 4Runner questions

Hello,

I'm a newbie with a 2001 Runner. I have 2 questions

1) I have the infamous "clunk" in the rear end after releasing brakes at a complete stop. I lubed all universals and the slip joint. I'm not sure how much grease is supposed to go into the slip joint. I gave it 18 pumps. I didn't see any movement of the joint or grease being expelled. What do you guys think? Should I grease more or have I over greased. How do you know the proper amount of grease to add? Anyone pump in more than I have?

2) The brakes are extremely touching during stop and go in-town driving. Is this just a characteristic of this model 4-runner?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-15-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by skoobahead
Hello,

I'm a newbie with a 2001 Runner. I have 2 questions

1) I have the infamous "clunk" in the rear end after releasing brakes at a complete stop. I lubed all universals and the slip joint. I'm not sure how much grease is supposed to go into the slip joint. I gave it 18 pumps. I didn't see any movement of the joint or grease being expelled. What do you guys think? Should I grease more or have I over greased. How do you know the proper amount of grease to add? Anyone pump in more than I have?

2) The brakes are extremely touching during stop and go in-town driving. Is this just a characteristic of this model 4-runner?

Thanks,
John
The infamous "clunk" is usually a u-joint. Even if you get down there and feel for play, and don't feel any, the joint can still be bad. Sometimes they only show under load, at least when they first start.

I'd change out my u-joint(s) and see if it goes away. If not, you have a trail spare. hehe

You think it's something other than a u-joint?

Anyways....when greasing you drive line, you may have over greased the slip joint causing additional load on the output shaft and/or pinion bearings. When you over fill it and before grease will actually come out, you'll see the shafts move/slide. It will work itself out but it's not good to do as routine/prevenative maintenance (PM). Just give it a few squirts every once in a while. (once in a while = depending on how much you wheel and what type of wheelin' you do). For me, I do it about 1 time (4-6 squirts on my mini gun) every 4-6 weeks. It's best to take it down and grease the spines but that's a little entailed to do as PM. Greasing your u joints is a little different than greasing the slip joint. Wait till you see just a little bit of grease come out the caps. You can usually hear it (can't explain the noise) squirt the air out just before the grease will show through the caps. That's enough.

Not sure on your brakes. My wifes runner is a 91 and it's brakes work KILLER. Very touchy compared to mine on the Tacoma. Don' know if that helps.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:31 PM
lee
Contributing Member

what do you mean by extremely touching?

im not experiencing anything weird with the brakes on my 01...
Old 08-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

About the brakes...well I have owned 3 4Runners, and they have all been pretty touchy. I found when I switched to a stiffer valved shock (Bilsteins) it prevented the rear from trying to "eject" itself. So, it may just be the weak valving of the stock shocks. Keep in mind you have pretty huge and powerful brakes up front, and generally weaker rear drums in the back (and a good amount of weight up front) - all contribute to a touchy launching effect upon initial brake tip-in.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the replys guys.
So if there is a possibilty that I have "over greased" the slip joint, what should I do? Can I just let it work it's way out or do I have to remove the driveshaft and clean it out? If I do nothing will I damage something?

John