Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 4Runner ARB Safari Snorkel install (3rd Gen. 4Runner write-up) PICTURES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wtf is up with this reserved blah blah blah bs.......................theres like 6 posts saying reserved # whatever.....wtf?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
wtf is up with this reserved blah blah blah bs.......................theres like 6 posts saying reserved # whatever.....wtf?
First of all it helps get all the write-up post together which will be easy to follow. It may be easy for you to look at 10+ pages of the thread locating the post you need, but in my opinion it looks better when you have all the info in one place right after each other.

I could not to do so for your favor, but I'd think many members of this forum will agree with my point of view.

As why it stated "Reserved #" at the time of your post, the answer is pretty simple, I'm writing the write-up as of now. You may make a write-up with 2 small paragraphs and a couple images in an hour, but having a detailed write-up with over 25 pictures takes time.

I can stop doing this if no body interested in details and pictures.. Its a free forum, just ask me not to do it.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM

I have a few people asked me for some detail pictures on the install. I'll try to post them up next week.

So far I can say that the Snorkel perfectly follows the line of the 4Runner and fits nicely with Limited fender flares. There was some concern which I saw on the forum, that it may affect the flares in terms of them needs to be modified. My answer is - its close, but no need for any modification.

If you have any questions or need some details, feel free to ask.

I've tried to make the install write-up detail as much as possible, but can make it further if you need some info.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 PM

wow man, great write-up and awesome install.. It looks great. Time to go out and test it haha jk.. So this is the wife's rig right?
Old 03-21-2010, 03:27 PM

that's sososo nice outlook~and Alex u r a really handyman! congratulation to your new toy.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 PM

looks good, nothing like drilling thru a perfectly good fender!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JWaldz
wow man, great write-up and awesome install.. It looks great. Time to go out and test it haha jk.. So this is the wife's rig right?
Yes, it's for my wife. My is the black '05 you can see the rear on the last image.
I'll post up a picture of both of them next week for compare...
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Alex, GREAT WRITE UP. Thanks for the info on that, as a snorkel is one of my immediate projects, and dual batt bigger alternator. I drive an 02. Thanks again, and keep em coming.

-wyo
Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM

I love the look and functionality of the snorkel. My wife on the other hand thinks they are ugly. So to save money and to stay on her good side, I am going with the much cheaper internal snorkel mod. Love the write up!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by SoloRunner
I love the look and functionality of the snorkel. My wife on the other hand thinks they are ugly. So to save money and to stay on her good side, I am going with the much cheaper internal snorkel mod. Love the write up!
What about her sitting inside the truck with much louder noise with internal snorkel?

Why wife loves it. She actually insist of getting one for her.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 AM

stuff like that doesn't bother her too much. She will probably like the fact that it will drowned out the sound of me talking about cars. lol. I am in the process of coming up with a butterfly valve system to be able to close it when we are on regular roads, since I have done the deck plate mod. Gonna try and get it built within the next week or two (as soon as the snow melts since I don't have a garage)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Thank's for the write up! It is really helpfull to be able to have accesss to this information. Will be installing snorkle today hopefully all goes well.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Still don't know why everyone puts the snorkel intake facing forward...
Old 04-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Midget96
Still don't know why everyone puts the snorkel intake facing forward...
This helps air to get in and work as a scoop. With having it faced forward you have positive pressure, with mounting aft you have negative pressure and engine works as your home vacuum and takes power.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM

No. Definitely not. If that were the case, then every semi and medium duty truck in the world would have a big obnoxious forward facing intake head on their "snorkels" for more power. And Toyota and Land Rover would have forward facing heads on their vehicles with OEM snorkels instead of their round pre-cleaners or rear facing heads.

Further more, there's no way you could create even a small increase in PSI over vacuum in such a long, obstructive and convoluted intake tract at highway speeds. The engine has to work harder with a snorkel no matter what.

By having it forward, all you're doing is allowing MORE dust to and bugs to fall down inside the tube. If you have it backwards, it virtually eliminates anything getting into the tube.

But I digress... Good write up. I'm thinking about getting one of these soon. My '96 has the Tacoma intake tube, so it makes it that much more affordable.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 PM

subscribed
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 AM

I'm going to revive this thread, and hopefully add just a little to it. AlexJet, thank you very much for this write-up. ARB has a terrible habit of stating the obvious in their instructions and going into no real detail. Thanks to you, I just put the template up and drilled all the holes I needed to with confidence. This was a big project that you made much easier.

Here's what I'd like to add:

1) my '97 (and apparently 96's) already have the "tacoma tube" so no purchase was necessary for me. This has been stated in other threads, but I didn't see it here. If you don't know whether you already have the "tacoma tube," pull your inner fender liner and look to see if your factory tube goes backward about halfway into the fender. You'll see it's purpose built to attach a snorkel onto if you've got it!
2) I elected to take the airbox out and silicone both that and the "tacoma tube" as the ARB instructions specified. The "tacoma tube" is attached very loosely to the airbox inlet, so I'm glad I decided to pull it out and silicone it.
3) I know you stated that you can keep the electric antenna mast, but elected to remove it. To save cost, I just kept mine. It fits back in with the new tubing if you rotate the mast 180*, which allows you to put the motor in rotated 180*. There are two screws at the bottom of mast that I loosened, and simply twisted the mast tube and re-tightened the screws. It works just fine. Since the lower motor mount had already rusted and broken, I just reattached the body mount at the top, and zip-tied the lower mount. That feels plenty solid, and should hold for years.

Let me know if anything I posted doesn't add, or doesn't make sense.

Name:  100_2855.jpg
Views: 7866
Size:  142.5 KB
Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM

For what it's worth, I have the same snorkel on on my 96 and the power antenna still works great. (I did not do the install, however)
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Want to do an internal scooba...hmmm
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Excellent write-up, I will be using this hopefully this week when mine arrives!!

Quick Reply: 2001 4Runner ARB Safari Snorkel install (3rd Gen. 4Runner write-up) PICTURES!!!