Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1997 4runner 3.4 auto flex plate nightmares

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terminator
The flexplate attaches to the engine, not the t/case. The trans needs to be separated from the engine to do this so it's labor intensive, not so much for parts. You'll need a new flexplate and new bolts, that's pretty much it. Oh yeah, and about $500+ in labor, more if you go to the dealer! What you want is for somebody that has a borescope or something like that so they can use that little camera to look through the inspection plate and look for cracks on the flexplate.
Remember that they usually crack around the center of the flexplate, so you really need to be able to look way down towards the center before you'll be able to see anything.

Torque converter has be installed on transmission (watch some youtube videos on seating them if you aren't familiar with how to do it) and flexplate to to engine. When you get the engine back in, there should be a slight gap between the flexplate and torque converter. Tightening the bolts will pull the torque converter out slight (maybe 2mm?) to mate up with the flex plate.

If tightening down the motor to the trans is putting pressure on the torque converter then it is NOT seated right and you're about to destroy the transmission oil pump
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!

I still haven't read a good explanation as to why some guys do this job only to have the flexplate crack again within a few thousand miles. The only thing I'm hearing is "use new bolts", and "make sure to line up flexplate and TC correctly". Shims for the TC? Maybe that's in the youtube videos.

Since my 4Runner is no longer my "daily driver", I'm going to tackle this job myself over the next few weekends. Maybe I'll post a write-up on this as there isn't one yet (rare for a 4R maintanance project).
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM

The flex plate cracking did not hurt the performance of the vehicle? Just made a ticking noise?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by six sons
The flex plate cracking did not hurt the performance of the vehicle? Just made a ticking noise?
In my case the only symptom I'm having is the ticking from the lower rear engine/front tranny, and it's getting worse. The diagnosis of cracked flex plate is a shot in the dark and based only on reading internet forums. But I talked to the dealer service department today and they weren't surprise by my self-diagnosis. Their quote, BTW, was around $1100 parts+labor.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM

i have a weird sound. not a idle. but just giving it gas thru 5mph - 25mph after i get goin faster it goes away. does that sound like cracked flex? im gona take the cover off. and use somethin to feel around for cracks... or 5speed swap
Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Had my Flexplate replaced last March, after I had replaced the starter with no improvement. Now I get a grinding or squawking noise similiar to when you turn the ignition while the engine is running. Flexplate or starter?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Mainer
Had my Flexplate replaced last March, after I had replaced the starter with no improvement. Now I get a grinding or squawking noise similiar to when you turn the ignition while the engine is running. Flexplate or starter?
Are you saying the grinding started right after replacing the flexplate, or was fine for a while and now it's doing the grinding?
Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 PM

No starting problems since replacing the broken flexplate last March. About 2 weeks ago it started making this god-awful noise like I have turned the ignition for too long preceded by some sort of stutter. It hasn't failed to start, just sounds like hell.

Have had a fan belt squeal for 2-3 months that seems to have gone away.

The starter (from Napa) that I installed in March 2013 has a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I just flipped a 98 auto 4runner that the flex plate completely separated from crank. Because of this it took out the pilot nipple on the torque converter. I'm wondering if the Torque converter is a primary cause of this failure and this is why the flex plate goes. Or its just possible it can get damaged because of the flex plate failure.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:01 PM

3rd Flex-Plate

I just cracked my 3rd Flex-Plate. This will be my 4th Flex-Plate install. This time, I am heading to the Transmisson Shop with a checklist of items, which include:
- check engine mounts
- check transmission mount
- unbolt the 6 bolts from the torque converter and push the torque converter as far back as possible, then measure distance between flex plate and torque converter.
- Also mount a dial indicator and rotate the torque converter

Once I have gathered the information, will then re-visit and have the transmission removed and will check for
- missing engine dowels
- worn transmission input shaft bearing

So here is the history
- 20 years of good luck on the original flexplate, then it cracked

2nd Flex Plate (Physical Actual Toyota Flexplate) and new Torque Converter
- the Flexplate lasted less than 8000 kms

3rd Flex Plate (Aftermarket Flex Plate)
- added a new starter
- flexplate lasted 500 miles

I will not go down in defeat.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Dan,
Wow! I hope you get to the bottom of this. I replaced my original engine & transmission mounts within the last year. The engine mounts were murder to do, the transmission mount was very simple.

I’m now at 465,169 miles on my original flexplate. The engine & transmission have never been removed (or split) I wonder how much longer I have...

Andreas