Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1995 Tacoma 2.4 with elusive misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Tacoma 2.4 with elusive misfire

Hey yall,

I have been lurking for a few days not getting tidbits of tech to try to fix my problem and I can't seem to get it nailed down. I figured I would post and see if anyone could offer some suggestions I am not thinking about.

So from the start My check engine light has been on for probably 2 years (i know but it was running great and I didn't have the money to pay someone fifty bucks to tell me what it was) Last week the truck died on me. It acted like it was going to stall then continued to run long enough for me to pull over but with no power. That night I fiddled with the plug wires and rotor button and replaced the spark plugs and got it to run for just a bit then it died again.

The next night I went back and had no spark. I replaced the coil, cap and button and had spark but it felt like it was misfiring under load. I checked the spark plug wires and number one was destroyed. The connector stayed on the plug. So I replaced those. For about 2 minutes it ran like a bat outta hell then it started misfiring and stuttering all over again.

I checked the coil's resistance and the air gap on the rotor. The primary resistance is a bit high on the coil (1 ohm) when it should be .65 at the highest but I checked a brand new on off the shelf and it was at .9 so I don't think replacing it would be useful.

I took it to a mechanic in town to have him chekc the codes and he first got a misfire on cyl 2 then cyl 4 but the egr valve popped up the whole time. He didn't seem to think it was really the EGR valve but didn't say why. I picked it up yesterday and did some more checking and found a crack that was probably 6" long in the header. I pulled the header, drilled the end of the crack to relieve the stress and then welded the whole thing up. (I will start looking for a header but for now that is my best option) It is still running rough as hell.

I do hear a hissing sound at idle so I thought maybe it was a vacuum leak in the manifold but when I sprayed everything down with starter fluid and noticed no change in idle.

So what I am wondering is this. Did I burn a valve or cause damage to the cam with that exhaust leak (I can pull the head if need be but I would rather not due to lack of funds for new gaskets and whatnot) I know it is impossible to diagnose from afar but if you guys have any thoughts I am open to suggestions... (I did swap the fuel filter and it seemed like there was good pressure when I pulled it off but I don't have a gauge to check to be sure)
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
What are the exact code numbers for the CEL?