Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01 Tundra CEL, what else could it be?

Old 12-02-2005, 06:40 AM
D_Fault

01 Tundra CEL, what else could it be?

Please help me out here, I'm getting so frustrated with this, all that I wanted was to get a freaking sticker!!!
2001 Tundra, 120k mi, 3.4 5vz-fe, 5spd, 4wd.
I've replaced each of the following components, MAF, H02, TPS, Spark Plugs, Air filter(aftermarket Cone style, little to no oil used) New Fuel filter last night.
Last code I had was a p0171, which I could tell it was running lean due to the exhaust smell, and the pinging, once out of closed loop mode.
I reset the ECU last night, took it for a ride, ran so much better. on the way into the office this morning light came back on again. I've also run a couple of cans of seafoam through it.

Anyone have any suggestions at this point? The only thing I can think of is when I replaced the front heated O2 sensor, I was told by someone at work that this has to be the A/F sensor from Toyota directly. It's a bosch unit that I put in. Is this my problem ?

thanks guys,
Art
Old 12-08-2005, 07:50 AM
D_Fault

First off, I'm not just tossing parts at it, I've pulled the codes each time, then checked connections, checked for shorts with a multimeter then proceded accordingly.
You know this is the kind of response that pisses me off to no end, I post up all the info, what I've got, what I've done, and what has already been addressed and or replaced, and I get a wise ass suffering from rectal-cranial-inversion reply. Oh, and just for future reference it's spelled "tossing" I couldn't find anything in the dictionary for "toosing".
Having been a mechanic for 10yrs before I went into the tech field, I know what I'm doing and how to go about it.
So why the Jerk off infantile response to my post? Stumped you too obviously, so this is the best you can come up with huh?
I had alot of respect for this place, I admired the skills & abilities of alot of the members with willingness to assist anyone anytime with their problems.
But then one ˟˟˟˟˟ing intraverted smartass has to spout off thus changing my opinion of this place.

As always *SMILE*
-a.meuse
Old 12-08-2005, 08:26 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It probably would have helped is you said "I got code xxx so I replaced the MAF", etc. Knowing the progression of the codes would help out the experts here quite a bit, I would think. I am as surprised as you are that nobody has come in with a solution.

I'm not the CEL guru by any means - did you try PM'ing or emailing Gadget?

Just my $0.02...
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mark_fit
sounds like you are just toosing parts @ it. Hoping it will get fixed. Wasting money.... Just take it to a shop that will scan it and tell you what it really needs.

Check the blinker fluid, if thats good, then tighten the piston return springs, if that is still not it.
Then I hate to tell you. But you have a bad muffler bearing.
Easy there... Marc, back in your corner...

I can understand where Marc is coming from, since your original post was rambling. I'm with tc and believe that if you described your progression of CEL codes and troubleshooting that we might be able to help you out.

Considering I don't have the Toyota reference manual in front of me, and that you have pulled the code, what does the P0171 code say ? Is it running lean ? Have you checked your O2 sensors ? With 120K on the originals, I wouldn't be surprised of one of them were starting to fail. But that is just my web-wrenching... It looks like a good time to start doing some re-search on this issue.

Good luck !

Steve
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D_Fault
First off, I'm not just tossing parts at it, I've pulled the codes each time, then checked connections, checked for shorts with a multimeter then proceded accordingly.
You know this is the kind of response that pisses me off to no end, I post up all the info, what I've got, what I've done, and what has already been addressed and or replaced, and I get a wise ass suffering from rectal-cranial-inversion reply. Oh, and just for future reference it's spelled "tossing" I couldn't find anything in the dictionary for "toosing".
Having been a mechanic for 10yrs before I went into the tech field, I know what I'm doing and how to go about it.
So why the Jerk off infantile response to my post? Stumped you too obviously, so this is the best you can come up with huh?
I had alot of respect for this place, I admired the skills & abilities of alot of the members with willingness to assist anyone anytime with their problems.
But then one ˟˟˟˟˟ing intraverted smartass has to spout off thus changing my opinion of this place.

As always *SMILE*
-a.meuse
Relax, take a deep breath, ignore the other response and let's see if we can't get this one solved for you....I can certainly understand how frustrating is can be to not be able to get an inspection sticker.
What did it fail for? CEL?

So if I understand correctly, you had a P0171 at one time.
Any other codes?

You then replaced the MAF, O2, TPS, Spark Plugs, Air filter, fuel filter.
Were they all new OEM parts (besides the air filter)?

The O2 could be the problem (on a 2001 it is an A/F sensor in front of the cat as you mentioned), but I wanted to make sure we know all the cards before making any diagnosis.