86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I DO, I DO NEED KEYS! And I'll have to do that, Dragon.... cuz when they look up my vin#? NOTHING! ..... Very sad, ... and they could have just done it by Vin#... but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hahaha... just messing, Dragon, on the hand thing....... But, it was gray and such so I couldn't resist, ya know?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I DO, I DO NEED KEYS! And I'll have to do that, Dragon.... cuz when they look up my vin#? NOTHING! ..... Very sad, ... and they could have just done it by Vin#... but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hahaha... just messing, Dragon, on the hand thing....... But, it was gray and such so I couldn't resist, ya know?
yup learned that lesson via the lady's 90 her keys were having issues asked the dealer an they told me the info
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
LOL Mark...My wife watches alot of crime shows and one was of "Iceman", a contract killer and he said Jimmy Hoffa may have got crushed in a Toyota. Maybe I got a door with a lot of history.

Thanks Cyberhorn..I will be looking into more information on the keys at a later time once I get this project wrapped up.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The 85 and 86 are setting out of the shop, so something is going to be getting painted soon. Been busting my rear trying to get it ready for paint. I have to get the cab painted tomorrow as Friday and the next several days looks to be in the 50s for the high and hoing once I get the bed ready, maybe I wll have some descent weather.

I should get caught up on threads here shortly.

Kicked out of the home for a few days.

Got 3 dings to work out and should have it ready tonite to paint for tomorrow. I dont want to paint in the evenings so as to avoid the bugs.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-11-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh great Terry's gonna get another one done before me ugh, jk buddy good luck with the paint and the weather.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason...It is only gong to be half a truck, still have the bed to do. Truck still looks the same, just a little more grayer. Not like I didnt try and get it done today, I busted my rear on it, but am satisfied at what I did get accomplished. Just alot of small things.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 PM

OK your gonna another half a truck done before me lol. I'm sure your brother appreciates all your hard work. Your gonna have this one looking as sharp. As the rest of them before you know it.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Still have a couple of hours to work on it tomorrow but it should get painted if the weather holds up. Still have one more door to prep but it doesnt lack much. Need to prep inside the doors a little more.

I had a couple of chips to take care of. A razor blade works great as a spreader.

Here is how I paint the inside of the door so as to make it blend in a little better with the exterior. I remove the trim and then run tape where the trim was on the inside. Then I paper against the exposed tape and run another strip of tape on top of that. Top has been taped again and still need to run tape down the left side.

Not to worried about the center as it will have a door panel covering it and I will cover the seal as I just now seen that I didnt mask it off.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-17-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Lol Jason... Painting half a truck is alot easier then doing the whole one at once. Each truck has taught me alot and that isnt just on Toyotas. I now can see a project in the field and think, "I can fix that". Seen a '38 Dodge the other day and it perked my intrest. It is in rough shape, but I wouldnt be worried about doing it at all. Put a 78 model 318 in it and a 90s seat.

It will be a while before I get into something like that, but each truck is getting me to the place where I want to be. I am gaining confidence and each one is a little better then the one before it. I will be glad when I can afford a welder and do fab work and patch panels. That is next on the list.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM

harbor freight terry also craigs list for welders truck looks like its in a pro shop for painting!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Once again, can't wait to see it done!...........BUT, .........love watching you getting there! ......... Dang..... that sounds too much like that corny 'cliche', "Hate to watch you go.... but LOVE to watch you leave!" hahahaha. JK, .... Seriously, gonna be so nice, man.... And he must be stoked to have you doing this for him.... I WOULD BE!

PS> I answered and thereafter, OF COURSE, tossed up more questions, on my build... Sorry hahaha.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Guys, I am waiting for the paint to flash and getting ready to put on the clear coat. I didnt get one run and am happy with how it went on. I did have a small splash of water, but think it will be okay. As normal for me I do have 3 small flaws in the bodywork. Grrr... I am just unable to have a perfect job. Maybe 10 more trucks and I might get it right.

The clear coat is where I run into problems. Sometimes it goes on like it should and other times I get orange peel. Hoping for a smooth coating. I will get caught up on the threads here soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
[quote=jason in tn;51981379]OK your gonna another half a truck done before me lol. quote]

And you, Jason, will have yours done before me!!! There, don't you feel better?

Neat trick with the razor for Bondo for rock chips. I have a ton on the front of the 2000 4Runner. I wonder if those little rectangles of metal below the headlights are made of softer metal than the rest of the truck. Mine are so pocked there's almost no paint left. But that's not getting the '89 done...
Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Nervo...I have an 01 Runner and just looked at mine and beside the 1000 bugs on it there are a few small ones. Has yours ever been repainted? A repaint is never as good as the factory. The ones I have repainted and when I helped in a bodyshop, those paint jobs will scratch alot more easier.

I use the razor blades alot more often then I probably use a typical spreader. I try to pass on some tips that I hope to help. It saves alot of extra sanding.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got it cleared. Looks like there is some orange peel and I see I have a run in the drivers fender and did get a couple of bugs in the clear but they should sand out, but not bad at all. Picture really doesnt look different then the previou picture but it is cleared. I will unmask it in the morning and start putting the trim back on.

Did get 2 surprises today. The guy that taught me to do do boywork stopped by and liked how my runner turned out. He didnt teach me to paint, I just jumped in and did it. He was looking where I get my supplies as it is alot more cheaper then a parts store.

Then my dad stopped by and was thinking his hood needed painted on a newer Ford and wanted to know if I would do it for him. I took some 2000 grit paper and knocked the old dead clear off of it and then used some swirl remover from Meguiars and buffed it up and waxed it. If I hadnt of done it, I think he was off to the bodyshop if I hadnt done it.

The last time he saw the runner, I could ony imagine what was going thru his mind. not good. He keeps asking why I dont just buy a newer truck. Told him in the past I have had 2 new ones, I will pass. He liked the runner as well, so maybe he is coming around. He was happy not having to go to the body shop.

Clear coated. I would of liked to have used sealer on this one but didnt. Brother has some other things he wants to do. I think it would of made it a little nicer but think he will be happy with it. He has always had old beater trucks and this one will bethe nicest he has ever had when done.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM

good lookin white terry really nice
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Looks like it turned out really good man. Keep that trigger finger limbered up so mine can be next lol.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Guys..I really busted my butt on it these past few days, I figure I got 24 hours on it just in the past 2 days, trying to beat the weather. There are some imperfections, but all in all I am happy with the way it turned out. The clear layed down really well. I still have some buffing to do on it, but not nearly like I have to do on the runner. I just dont know what I did different on this one and my runner.

Started removing the paper and put the interior pieces just to show that it almost looks like it was never painted. Rest of the interior is bad, but will get done eventually. New carpet and seats and that is the most expensive on a truck and it can be done cheaper, just by getting a good set of seats swapped.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-17-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As always awesome work Terry! I hope to aquire some body/paint skills someday, and the patience required to go along with them, lol. I tend to get in a hurry, even when using a rattle can, and it seems like the paint just can't dry fast enough for me, ha ha. Again, really nice work!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Nice Terry looking good

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build