86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Jerry...You are right about not using new nuts when working on exhaust. I went thru that problem as well. The other two were not taken off. In the past from my experience, is when I try to remove the nuts, it will twist the stud out of the manifold and I can never get them to stay back in after that. I have tried using new studs with locktite and they still come out. That one reason I will get the cutoff wheel and cut the pipe in half. The one nut that was missing, I did replace with a new nut and staked it. It will cost me about $15 for my exhaust guy to repair the pipe that I cut, but I will take that over a leaking exhaust. The connection never leaked before and I didnt want to take any chances.

Thanks Cyberhorn... This being a daily driver sure raised the stress level up. I enjoy working on this truck, but being one of our daily drivers, it does take the fun out of it in someways. Hoping it runs better then before or atleast as well as it did before the tear down.

Hello Jason...I hear you, I like working on PROJECTS, not daily drivers. That is stressful. I has been bugging me not working on my runner as it so close to being done with the exception of finishing the interior. I just need a little time to get it wrapped up. Seems like there is always some hold up. Thanks for your help today again.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been wanting to get caught up on some threads, but this being a daily driver and being down has taken up alot of free time. I plan on getting caught up here soon. I know there has been alot going on that you guys have been doing. Hope I will have this wrapped up here in the next couple of days.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:15 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
but see, I was paying attention and keeping up.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it's great that your wife was helping out. My wife doesn't like my rig so she is ban, forbidden, banished from ever working on my truck. I let her sit in the back sometimes and it doesn't run that good when she's in it anyway.

Well your on the home stretch, can't wait for the finished product. Nice clean job.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jerry...lol you were paying attention. Good to see you again.

Hello Kevin.. I need to get a truck, sounds like that is the best seat for a nice quite ride.lol, I am lucky that she likes her truck and lets me do what I want on them when we can. Makes it so much more enjoyable. I support her hobbies and intrest so she cant say much.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Well one of the benefits of the not so rich and famous is when I had the tranny out I should of done the clutch. I ruined my old bearing cleaning up the clutch fork and thought I would use another bearing and it is making a noise so I will just have to wait til I get paid to go get a clutch. Her motor and tranny is the same as mine so I used the bearing style that I have. One must be a W56A and the other a W56B, I dont know. Something is different.

I will just buy the whole kit and do it right but will have to wait til tomorrow to get the clutch. Then the weather is going to be an issue, as we are getting some cold moving in so dont know when I will get it back in. So I get to enjoy my fringe benefits for awhile, trying to think positive.

On better news, it is running and sounding great. Got the dizzy in right and timing set, runs smooth and so far no leaks. A friend of mine came by and has way more experience then I do and liked how well it sounded.

Didnt get a picture of it, but he took an 84 solid axle and combined it with the turbo truck. He did an outstanding job on it. Then sold it to a guy who painted it and did alot more to it. My friend just bought it back.

Other then Power steering, the motor is done. I am going to straighten the wires and hoses out later for a cleaner look.
Name:  clutch2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  144.5 KB

Terrys exhuast repair shop is now open for business. It should work to get me 5 miles to the repair shop. I wanted to get a video of it running but even this was louder then I wanted it to be.
Name:  clutch1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  101.8 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-14-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive seen that brand of exaust pipe before
Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn..Someone must of beaten me to the patent. lol. Wish I could come up with something worthwhile to patent. I know a guy who has his own invention and is doing quite well now. Unfortunately the proceeds is going to his daughter health. He took a lot of risk doing it and it paid off in the long run, but he did risk it all getting it and done know of many who would do that.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am STUMPED... Need some help. I put everything back together and motor sounds great and fires up fantastic. The problem is the tranny. It is all pointing to the clutch. I have tried 2 flywheels. The orginal and another one that I took to the machine shop and had resurfaced. 3 total clutches, one new, the orginal, and an old one that I had on a shelf. 3 different throwout bearings. One of each style that is in the previous pictures. The one with the orange seal and the flat one. 2 new bearings and 1 old bearing.

Now I am taking another transmission that I dont know if is any good or not so it will be good to know if it is a good tranny but am hoping it will tell me where my problem is. I will post more on it when I get the results from it. Still need to move the transfer case and shifters over to it.

The problem is when I start the motor and with the clutch pedal pushed in, everything sounds great. When I let the clutch out, I get a tapping sound. It sounds like something is hitting as it goes around and the faster I rev the motor the faster the tapping sound is. At first I thought I bent a finger on the pressure plate, but with 3 different pressure plates and they all look great, I get the exact same sound. New pilot bearing installed and it rotates great. That is the only part I havent replaced since I removed the orginal and installed this one. 3 different clutch assemblies as well.

Jason has been helping alot as well. Thanks Jason. I had another guy that has been working on these for 20 years and it has him stumped as well. We even checked to see if my crankshaft had some play in it and it seems solid as well. I know I am not missing those spacers that go in the center of the crankshaft as I did see them when I had the oil pan off.

When the transfer case was locked up, I pulled the driveshaft off and it was running great with no sounds at all, just couldnt engage the gears as the transfercase wouldnt let it rotate. Now I have the shifter sticks and driveshaft out and you can see the gears in the tcase and transmission rotate and the ouput shafts turn when in 2 high, 4 high, and 4 low. It may be a few days but I will try and get a video up if this new transmission doesnt help eliminate the noise I am getting.

Everything except the transfercase was working fine before I started this complete tear down. I have changed several clutches and motors and most on 22re's so it not like it is a completely new experince for me, and dont want to think I have been over confident on it as well. Some times being experienced is just as bad as being a beginner but I went step by step in the Haynes and FSM. I didnt get in no hurry either. I have my 86 as a back up truck so I wasnt in no rush to get this thing done.

The reason I am thinking I am having a tranny problem is when the tcase locked up. The cop had to push it off of the road so as it would get hit in the rear. My wife was driving at the time and all she did was come to a complete stop to let a car make a left hand turn and then it wouldnt roll at all.

I am thinking maybe when he pushed the runner that is possible that the tires sliding could of bent the main shaft in the tranmission or some other damage? From talking to others, they dont seem to think so as he only had to push her about 10 feet to get her off of the road. Both tires were locked up. Right now I have been testing everything with the drive shaft out and all is rotating as it should. Just has a noise in it.

Hoping tomorrow that I get this new transmission in and see if I still have the tapping sound. If I do that is going to put me at looking at the motor. All I did on the bottom part of the motor was change out the rear main seal and have done that several times as well and never had a problem before. But it still could of been something that I may have done.

I have been on this problem for way longer then I ever thought possible. I have installed and removed the transmission at least 5 times and now can do it in my sleep. I can even have it removed in less the 20 minutes as I am not putting the driveshaft in. Just the starter and clutch slave cylinder and tranny bolts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. HELPPP!!! lol
Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it sure sounds like he pushed the truck with it in gear that could well have twisted something internal if the backup trany does the same thing id toss my money at the throwout bearing being an issue sucks if he's busted something inside the trany did it turn freely before you mounted the backup t-case?

like i said mine on my 79 when you push the clutch in too far it sounds like the fork is hitting the fingers on the pressure plate the bearing didnt quite fit right like the original it clatters louder as you rev the engine but stops when you let the clutch out perhapos this is going on in the other direction from yours terry
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Hey Terry,
Can you run motor without trans installed to eliminate any motor problem. That way you can concentrate on other possibilties.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn.. It does sound like the oppisite of what you were experincing. I am really hoping the tranny isnt messed up. Getting a good tranny that doesnt whine in 5th gear can be a chore to find. This one is so quite and smooth. If it is going to be major, I really hope it is in the engine.

Hello ksti.. Thanks for the idea. Sometimes you just need someone to get you out of a rut. I got to thinking after your idea, is that I think the dust shield that goes inbetween the tranny and motor would support the starter with its torque if I get some nuts and bolts and get it good and tight. If the shield doesnt work, I scrapped a 2 wheel drive tranny and kept the bellhousing. I am sure it would bolt up and would let me get a better view of what is going on in there. Thanks again as I was at a mental block.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

It is 20 degrees outside and my shop is just 4 tin walls and a roof and the heater just cant keep it warm in there. But I do have a few ideas. One is what I just mentioned to ksti with the dust shield, another is that I did get my spare transmission cleaned and ready to go in. The other I am going to check is that I did use a different dust shield as I left the orginal at dads so I just grabbed another one I had laying nearby.

On my replacement tranny, I didnt change the front gasket and seal around the tranny shaft. Reason being is I am just wondering if somehow when I changed it on the orginal tranny tha maybe I somehow have something in a bind. According to the FSM and Haynes it is a straight forward job so am not really expecting it to be the noise maker, but want to try and elimnate any chance of creating a problem. I am hoping this tranny is a good one, but wont know until I get it behind the motor. It does shift into all 5 gears while sitting on the floor. It does need a new shifter bushing and will be getting that later this week. i have replaced those several time and is something I am not worried about screwing up.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Keep them coming. We are getting into the single digits so it maybe a week or so before I can get back out there. I am sure there are a few other things that I could check out, but sometimes you get a one track mind and just cant get out of it. Thanks again. I tried to tuff it out for 20 minutes in the cold and finally wimped out. My fingers were just to cold.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Another reason I want to get Mistys truck fixed besides being a daily driver, and I nearly have my Runner done with exception of interior,rear bumper, and side mirrors, is that I am gearng up to start restore thread on my 85 Extra cab. I bought a standard cab truck to fix and sell and this Extra cab one was either take it or it was going to the crusher in a week. Free Toyota... Let me think about that for a moment. A split second later, I owned it. It was used as a parts truck and is alot worse then what it appears.

Head is gone, wires butchered, paint job that is peeling and has runs, an 89-95 dash that was just held in with 5 small tabs of metal and the rest of the dash just resting on the steering column and some seats that looked liked they came out of a conversion van. The doors would barely shut. This will be the third parts truck that I will be restoring.

Mistys Runner I started on January 11th of 2011, My 86 Runner I started on January 11th of 2012 and I will start on this one on January 11th 2013. That keeps all of the dates the same and lets me get the rest of my projects wrapped up as far as I can go with them.

I am not into the solid axles but more because it is EFI and solid axle and makes it a little harder to find. I like the extra cab as I am 6 feet tall and from what I am finding out, it seems to me the solid axles ride a little smoother. This one will be about as stock as can be as I want my 86 to be the one I really fix up to be extremely nice.

I will do a full frame off restore on it as the drivetrain is already out and really all that is holding the cab on is 6 bolts, steering shaft and a few lines. I want to try and get some good pic to add to my frame body swap post for others.

Name:  extendedcab2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  extendedcab1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  40.3 KB
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey...just throwing this out there....

the tranny. it works well or no? I'm kinda thinking yes?

I had a rattle (mines an auto) that would only happen when I put it in gear. so, one day, I said to joe, "do you think you could put it on gear with me under there and not kill me?", so that's what we did. turned out it was a heat shield that had mostly broken free, a few clamps and we were good again. I know that things change from the torque of the motor and tranny and that's why I was getting a rattle at very specific times.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jerry.. May not be the best ananlogy but it would be like putting a cloth pin on a bicyce spoke and it just makes a noise when it hits the frame. The faster the motor, the faster the click/tap/?? I somehow have the uncanny ability of getting the odd ball problems. Just like my injector connectors on my 86 and the bare wire on the reverse light. It happens but just not very often and sure enough it will be me that gets it.

Same way when I was a tech working out in the field. I got so many odd ball problems out there that Tech Support would call me for answers. One of the guys I worked with moved to headquarters and worked in Tech Support and he seen some of the problems I just happen to get into. Even for all of the frustrations it does cause, when I do find the problem, it will improve my skills 100%. I used to hate putting a transmission in from under a truck, now I can do it blindfolded. I never had a problem putting a motor to a tranmission but had problems putting a tranmission to a motor. Not anymore.lol

I will check and see if it isnt something like what you mentioned. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just like I mentioned to Jerry about the injector connectors and the reverse lights, for even as frustrating as this is, I will learn something from it. I am currently helping a guy with what it is sounding like the crimp on his injectors where as I never could of before.

Another frustrating thing is I now have my other tranny ready to go along with the bellhousing that I am going to use for testing and see what I can find, but it is just to darn cold out there. Just need atleast one warm hour out there but we are in the teens temperture wise. grrr.

I have the drive shaft out and the shifter sticks removed and you can watch the gears turning inside the tranny and tcase and they seem to be turning fine.

One good thing that will come out of this is that I will be able to take my 86 to dads and do some finishing touches on it. Really looking forward to getting the final details done on it. I got it down to just the a few things that require more then I want to spend on it at this time. But from being the basket case that it was, I am really happy with how things have turned out. Still have alot of things I want to do to it and it will happen, just going to take a little time.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was able to get the motor started without a bellhousing. I used two nuts and bolts and was able to get the starter fastened down good enough to start it. I then took a wooden dowel and layed it against the flywheel and the pilot bearing and both were as smooth as can be.

I then tried pushing against the crankshaft while it was running trying to see if I had any play in the crankshaft or could make any noises. Didnt get any at all. Just to eliminate the dust shield inbetween the motor and tranny, I pulled on it all the way around and the only time I would get the flywheel to rub against it was when I had it flexed nearly half an inch. So am thinking half an inch is alot of room and it is good.

So now I am thinking it is atleast the clutch to the tranny. I have another W56 transmission set up and ready to go and see if that will cause the noise to go awy. Wll have to wait and see. I also have a G52 tranny I dont know if it is good or not so figure while I have it this far I will put it in and see if it is a good transmission as well. Wont take long to test it out if I can get some descent weather.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:42 PM

Good job Terry,

Process of elimination. That's going to save you a lot of
Now you just need the weather to warm up.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Terry, don't know if you've tried this yet, but if you have the tranny out and the tcase attached...put an impact on the tcase output, that big 27mm (I think) nut and spin it. With the tranny in first (~3.9) and tcase in low gear (2.28), then you'd only have to spin the output flange at about 112rpms to get 1000rpms at the tranny input shaft, so basically simulating idle. Just a thought, may not help at all. I forget about the cold weather sometimes, we don't get very cold here ever. Although it's often too hot for me to do much work!

You'll get it Terry! I was just re-reading the posts above, so you heard the tapping with the clutch out, was the tranny in gear? Was the drive shaft attached? If it was the input shaft, that thing would be spinning very fast, so at 1000rpms, you'd hear the taps at a rate of 16 taps per second, very fast. If it were slower, like 1/4 of that, 4 taps a second, then it would somewhere down the line. Like, ujoint, or the dust shield on the tcase output. Just trying to throw out ideas to help you narrow it down.

Last edited by coryc85; 12-28-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread