86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, I did not know that toyota made a 4runner Convertibles, nice.

Terry put a rag top on it?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM

Hey terry there just wasn't enough time but we really enjoyed what there was, thanks again for everything.
I'm still trying to work out a fix for the dome light its gotta be something simple.
hope the chickens arnt on your nerves to bad lol.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Great read, as usual, catching up!

KILL IT, TERRY! Lol.

Jason's a good dude, man.... Wish I could hang out for a weekend with them, too!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CHICKENS.....Terry did you get some chickens fat'n them up and next time I see ya we will have a fish......chicken fry....LOL...
Old 04-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RMP8080
wow, I did not know that toyota made a 4runner Convertibles, nice.

Terry put a rag top on it?
A car lot got ahold of it for the motor as it was a roll over. I wish I could of found it before he did. It was actually taken care of until the rollover.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Hey terry there just wasn't enough time but we really enjoyed what there was, thanks again for everything.
I'm still trying to work out a fix for the dome light its gotta be something simple.
hope the chickens arnt on your nerves to bad lol.
It flew by. I have been tied up on a few things but will get the domelight figured out. Dont know why it worked so well in the extended cab and not this one. I did everything the same.

Doggie almost got a chick, it was close, but they are doing fine. I was raised on a farm and have had about every animal under the sun but they have been an experience for the kiddos.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Great read, as usual, catching up!

KILL IT, TERRY! Lol.

Jason's a good dude, man.... Wish I could hang out for a weekend with them, too!
We had a great time. I live about a mile from the truckstop and hope they get some more runs out this way. It is nice having another Yota nut to bounce ideas off of and help figure things out.

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
CHICKENS.....Terry did you get some chickens fat'n them up and next time I see ya we will have a fish......chicken fry....LOL...
Dont think the brats would go for it, but one of these days may have to get you out for a fish fry. Brother wanted me to go the other day and I just wasnt feeling that great. Now I am ready to go and have to work. Oh well maybe next time.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Started doing some more body work on the runner. Had to pull some of the interior apart to get the rock guards off as there is a screw with a clip that holds the top part on. One of these days this truck will get to stay in one piece I hope. Seems like everytime I am done with one section I get to take it apart again. It will make for a better paint job and less masking.

I got about 9 door dings on the right rear quarter panel. Nothing bad at all but I want this truck as straight as possible. Havent done any body work in about 6 months and it is starting slow again. What should take me a hour or so on a ding is taking longer then I would like. It will eventually come back to me. Most of the dings are paper thin. Did get 2 of the dings done.

While I was out in town today, I came across this Plymouth Voyager (I think) and where it said "Sport" they put a "H" and said "Short". Not something I would really go for as it looks like one of them Smart cars that I have not use for, but they did and excellent job on getting the body straight and the custom work. I am quite sure this isnt for me but I can respect the talent it took to make something like this. They really had all kinds of metal work,body work, and mechanical skills involved in making this. From what I could see the interior look nice.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the rear area and passenger door done. If it wasnt for the hold up on paint and primer, I really think I could have this truck painted in a week. But I have other things that have to be taken care of so it will probably be a month or so before I can afford the paint. In the meantime I am going to have this truck straight as an arrow when I get the bodywork done.

Just have 4 small touch ups and would of gotten them done but remembered at the last minute that I had to get the 88 inspected. Tags expire today. I was out working and it hit me at the last moment. The inspection station was about to close. Made it just in time. Another couple was right behind me in the same situation.

Rear and door done. Just need to prime and wet block sand.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM

OMGOSH, I thought you'd Cropped that pic.......... WTH????? hahaha.

Nice work, Terry.... can't wait to see that with fresh paint, etc.! I love to admire your work, man!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM

This so not fair you'll have this thing wore out and building it up again before I get mine done for the first time lol. Honesty man I can't believe how fast your moving, great work man.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM

You do what you can when you can, J-dawg! Lil diff for him, seeing that you're away 90% of the time! lol. Can't wait for your Yella Beauty to be all sussed, either!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
What color is it going to be? Go blue! This will be the third vehicle you've painted since I started fiddling with my '89. It's still not painted.

That Plymouth Voyager looks like a Klown Kar.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM

Terry, I should drive down with my 89 so you can get more practice with the body work...lol...looks good..man
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
OMGOSH, I thought you'd Cropped that pic.......... WTH????? hahaha.

Nice work, Terry.... can't wait to see that with fresh paint, etc.! I love to admire your work, man!
Hello Chef..I still havent figured out how to crop. Maybe someday I might learn that.

I would like to see paint on it myself. It will be awhile due to funds and I still have some more bodywork to do to it. One day it will get there.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
This so not fair you'll have this thing wore out and building it up again before I get mine done for the first time lol. Honesty man I can't believe how fast your moving, great work man.
It does seem slow to me, but I have been on this for only a few months so I cant complain. Having done some other trucks so I have learned a few things to do to get things done a little quicker.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
What color is it going to be? Go blue! This will be the third vehicle you've painted since I started fiddling with my '89. It's still not painted.

That Plymouth Voyager looks like a Klown Kar.

Hello Nervo.. It will be a blue. I would like to go the blue that your first runner was but that is alot of work changing colors. It will be the factory blue or a shade or two off one away or the other but nothing so much I have to paint jams and under the hood to much.

I have spent hours on several different sites trying to find some ideas that look factory but not like the others out there. I am actually surprised how few blue trucks that are on here on Yotatech and other sites.

I agree that that van looks like a clown car, but I hope to someday have the skills to do the kind of metal work required to do something like that.

Terry, I should drive down with my 89 so you can get more practice with the body work..lol...looks good..man
Thanks Bill... One day I hope to be good enough to do others trucks. I can do ok but still not to the point to where I would like to be in the speed and results that I can be glad to say I did that. I do get several request so maybe I am slowly getting there.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

After taking a break from the runner for awhile I have my batteries recharged and ready to get after it again. I was really happy with the what I have gotten done in the past few days. I have a few days off coming up soon and if all goes as planned and nothing comes up should get quite a bit of time on it. (fingers crossed).

I figure it will take me another 3 or 4 months to get it as nice as the 88 and a year or two to get it to where I might possibly be done with it if that is ever possible. My long term goal is to an orginal looking truck with some upgrades and just a really enjoyable daily driver. I am want this one to last me until me or it is driven into the ground and if I can still get gasoline for it in the next 20 years
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM

I agree, ... GO BLUE, meaning, "Cobalt/Blueberry Factory Toyota Blue".... Like my 83....

I had an 86 that was the same color... LOVED that color! Had some outlaw 2's on there and 33x10.50's... WAS SICK! lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM

I like that blue too. That paint was originally a single stage. Terry what is the advantage of base coat -clear coat? Is it more forgiving? I do know it does not fade as badly as single stage paint.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM

better RED or Dead, oh black is good too
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Hey. Did you take the "gravel guards" off the rear fenders yet? Most of my body damage is right beneath them. There was no metal left under them! Can you do me a favor and take a close up picture of that area? I'm hoping I got it right but there are no 1st gens around to examine. I've googled extensively and there are few pictures of a "naked" dog leg. I'm concerned with how it meets the rocker panel.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM

better RED or Dead, oh black is good too
hahahaha... I don't know why that cracked me up so hard, lol.

I dont' know if you're like me... But my problem isn't going ahead with something... Once I have all things in line, IT'S ON! lol.... My problem is MAKING A FREAKIN DECISION LIKE THAT ONE! hahaha... I mean, it's gonna be on there, hopefully, for the next 20 years! lol.

Personally, like Toyo's rig... I LOVE that white and gunmetal gray set up... THAT IS SICK! I loved my white one... IT DID stay cooler and NEVER faded.... not one spot! Was so much easier to keep clean, too.. But this one? I love it... Gotta love this Toyota Red I got lucky enough to get. HARD to keep it from oxidizing though! lol. AND, .... I wouldn't wanna go from Red to white on mine... WAY too much work under the hood, etc., ya know? lol. Maybe White, Orange and Blue though?????? You know, that 'Dale Evans'(???) paint job? LOVE that lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM

stay blue body color change is a P.I.A. just ask me

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance