86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)

Okay,
So I bought this little truck 2 years ago and the guy was not totally honest with me. He gave me the line, rebuilt motor, rust free, new parts, ice cold AC blah blah blah!!! And of course it uses oil, the AC quit the 2nd day I had it, I found painted over rust on the frame under the bed, and so on. I'd like to say that I still got a good deal, and all he did was hurt my feelings. At the price, compared to other Toyota's I think I did OK, it just wasn't the screaming deal I thought I was getting.
I just finished building my new house and I dying to take on a new project. The other day I was commenting to my wife that a new Toyota Tacoma 4x4 would cost me around 35 grand and for that price I could replace every moving part on an older Toyota twice over. I thought I would build a pre-83 but I just couldn't find one for my money that wasn't trashed and I was concerned it wouldn't be much of a daily driver even once I got it into shape. The last one I looked at made up my mind, that I'll just stick with what I got. So here goes, I'm calling it project Rip-Off I am going to try and make my 1994 Toyota 4x4 new again(better than new).
Where I am starting:
It has a 22re that has a misfire and low compression on Cyl# 3 my guess is a bad valve. (It shows 303,000 on the odometer and I bet that is accurate, rebuilt motor my a#$)
It's got a loud popping noise in the front end (PO said he replaced all the front end parts with the best MOOG parts, WHATEVER!)
Holes rusted in the frame under the bed which I found while trying to lower the spare tire one day on the side of the interstate.
A little rust on the body in need of a paint job and a few dents fixed.
Interior work
That doesn't sound like too bad of a list!!!
So what is the first thing a guy does when his truck needs engine, steering and suspension work?
Why he buys new wheels and bigger tires of course!!!! Because that's how I roll.
So I scored a set of Sequoia wheels with 265-70-17 AT's for $200. They may not make the truck run better but they make me feel better.
Attached Thumbnails Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)-20171001_163858-1-.jpg   Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)-20171002_192515-1-.jpg  
Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
cool too that like Maverick you can drive your truck inverted

sequoia wheels do look nice filling the wheel wells
Old 12-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Rip Off update

So a little update on project rip off. I ordered my new engine from 22re performance, should be ready by summer. 😐
Till then I will have to limp along my 305000 mile oil burner. Ive started sprucing up the interior. I added a set of leather seats and console from a Nissan Sentra. I really like the fit and looks. I added an over-kill stereo system. But Im into that sorta thing. I have noticed some noise coming from the front end, I guess Ill be doing shocks and ball joints soon. Then its body work time. I know its ass backward to do the interior first, but I drive it every day so nice interior keeps me motivated. The pics are in no particular order but here are some pics of my progress. Oh yeah, I also did a CS 130 swap and did the big 3 upgrade to handle the stereo.
Attached Thumbnails Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)-20171221_171149.jpg   Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)-20171221_230300.jpg   Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)-20171121_124142.jpg   Project Rip-Off (Build up thread)-20171122_161503.jpg