86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

NickMiller's '88 4runner Build Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RMP8080
Nick, nice job, I did my cap in black bed liner.
I saw your thread when looking for methods to paint the top, but I was pretty set on retaining the factory texture. I didn't want to chance it with doing bedliner.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Runner looks good, may not seem like your making big progress but it all ads up. From the looks you have a solid base to start with so that's a plus. Work so far looks good I like the wheels including the steering wheel. Keep the pics coming great work.
Thanks! And I get what your saying about all the little things adding up and you're right! I feel like the truck keeps getting better and better with every little thing that I do. Having a budget like mine sucks, but if you're smart with your purchases you can stretch your money pretty far!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, my cap now looks like the old Chevy blazer K5 cap...
Old 06-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Yea, my cap now looks like the old Chevy blazer K5 cap...
haha! Yea, I saw that... Are you planning on trying to make it look factory again or will you just leave it?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Truck keeps looking better with each project you do to it. Keep up the great work.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 PM

I'm trying to scrape the cash together to buy this 86 4Runner! It's got a lot of parts I need/want and it's only $1000! I should be able to part it out for around $2000 + whatever I can get for scrap. I'd try to keep it alive, but it was a Canadian import and has rust on the body and frame from the salt on the roads. Rust is NOT something I'm gonna try to deal with, but I have a plan that I'm gonna keep quiet for now because I'm not sure if I can pull it off... I'll let you guys know if I can score it or not!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by NickMiller
haha! Yea, I saw that... Are you planning on trying to make it look factory again or will you just leave it?
Nick, I'm leaving the bed liner, I had some old stuff around and used it for the cap. Just put on the roof racks on and it came out great. Now just about to get the manual install hope this weekend as I am off from work.

Your runner and mine are twins almost but your body is in great shape....
Keep up the work......
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM

Nick, I'm leaving the bed liner, I had some old stuff around and used it for the cap. Just put on the roof racks on and it came out great. Now just about to get the manual install hope this weekend as I am off from work.

Your runner and mine are twins almost but your body is in great shape....
Keep up the work......
I can't wait to see how you pull off the 5 Speed swap! I'd love to do it to mine someday, but I'd like to see a write-up before I decide to tackle it. If I can get this 4Runner on CL then I'm gonna try to pull whatever I can use for a 5-speed swap and set it to the side. I'm not even sure if it's a 5-speed, but I'm waiting on an e-mail. Do you know if a 22r/22re 5-speed can work with the 3.0?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM

Well, turns out that the '86 4Runner was a piece of junk. Rusted out bumpers, TONS of oxidization on the paint, missing all the interior carpet, and it had a big 'ol dent in the top. I'm not sure if he photoshopped the pic or what, but it's NOTHING like the 4Runner in the pic. Ugh, I thought I had gotten lucky and found a gem. It's cool though, because he didn't except my $800 offer anyways.. ahah!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Wow, yea my 4runner was a surprise to me I was not looks, but could not pass it up. One will come your way, just keep looking.....
Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Wow, yea my 4runner was a surprise to me I was not looks, but could not pass it up. One will come your way, just keep looking.....
Yea I know, I'm just a bit dissapointed... lol
Old 06-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Eh, no BIG progress lately... I did get all the bumper trim, mirrors, and grill inserts painted w/ Rustoleum Bumper Paint! It turned out great and is still holding up after about a month... I'm gonna start to progress more soon now that I have a job for the summer. My first goal is to do something about the exhaust. The tailpipe is non-existant, the muffler has holes, and I'm pretty sure the cat is somewhat clogged... lol! I'm looking into the LC Engineering "Pro Flow" exhaust as well as one of their "test pipes". I'm not really concerned on the sound at this point, just tryna make it not sound like it's falling apart.

I am questioning whether or not the test pipe will make the check engine light come on though. There doesn't seem to be a 02 sensor AFTER the cat, only before? (Seems strange to me, but whatever). I would assume that the 02 sensor before the cat wouldn't know the difference whether it was there or not, but who knows... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and if talk of removing the cat isn't allowed here just let me know and I'll remove it!

Updated pic! (Finally some decent weather here in the Pacific NW!)

After the exhaust I'm planning on doing some kind of lift... I think I'll be going with the 4" Rough Country lift since it's the cheapest and this is just a DD. The only thing that concerns me is the use of blocks... I was thinking about just getting NWOR Springs for the rear to match, because I REALLY don't like blocks. I haven't decided between 33's or 35's yet, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Last edited by NickMiller; 12-27-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Wow nice and clean. The O2 is it right before the cat or just after the manifold?
Not sure on the check engine light, but my VW jetta TDi diesel has no cat or muffler and no light, but it doesn't have an O2 sensor. Question is it a CA truck? That also may change the answer to your question......
Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Wow nice and clean. The O2 is it right before the cat or just after the manifold?
Not sure on the check engine light, but my VW jetta TDi diesel has no cat or muffler and no light, but it doesn't have an O2 sensor. Question is it a CA truck? That also may change the answer to your question......
I asked my Dad about it being a Cali truck and he said if he remembered correctly it was, but he wasn't sure. If my memory serves me correctly I think he found out that it had been previously SMOG'd when we took it in during the short time we lived in Cali (about a year), but that doesn't mean it was a Cali truck as far as I know...

Well, as for the o2 sensor, it's before the cat as seen in this pic... There isn't one after the cat and there isn't one after the cat on the LC Engineering 4Runner kit so I think I'm good, but I guess it's gonna be a $80+ trial and error type of deal. Oh well

Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM

My 89 runner has it in the same place and my is one that was always on the east coast. Oh and it's a 22RE. I think you will need the o2 so the ECM will not go insane. Check other build threads they is a lot of good info here... Good look
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The label on the underside of the hood will say "Cali" if it is a California emissions truck, as long as there isnt a sensor beind the cat removing it wont hurt anything. Mine tend to fall off if I even suspect them causing a problem. Need to make sure you can pass inspection if you remove it. It could be a bit louder with it removed and could upset Al Gore alittle bit, but nothing I wouldnt lose any sleep over.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The label on the underside of the hood will say "Cali" if it is a California emissions truck, as long as there isnt a sensor beind the cat removing it wont hurt anything. Mine tend to fall off if I even suspect them causing a problem. Need to make sure you can pass inspection if you remove it. It could be a bit louder with it removed and could upset Al Gore alittle bit, but nothing I wouldnt lose any sleep over.
Well, then I'm gonna just ditch the cat. No inspections, emissions, etc in my area so I think I'm okay!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 AM

So anticipating that I will be getting some sort of aux lighting soon I picked up this switch off fleabay. It is the "deck lamp" switch out of a 84-88 hilux surf (not a 4Runner) so it is a bit different style (see pics below). The plan is to scrape the "deck lamp" text and have it look like a factory switch when all said and done. It will keep the interior looking factory while allowing me to have the lights wired up! It's a win-win for me!

4Runner switch (already have one for my deck lamp)

Hilux switch (one I bought for aux light use)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Deck Lamp Switch + Inclinometer Install

Some updates! I got the hilux "deck lamp" switch installed (not wired to anything yet) and the inclinometer installed and wired up! The inclinometer wiring just hooked into the heater control wiring and it lights up and dims with the rest of the lights... Pretty sweet!

Pics (sorry for the quality, too bright for my phone...)

Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Nice, looks like you need air in the left rear tire......lol
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Nice, looks like you need air in the left rear tire......lol
lol, yea I wasn't on a flat surface so I figured "why try to adjust it now?".

Quick Reply: NickMiller's '88 4runner Build Up Thread