86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

malteserunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey malteserunner, just started browsing through your build thread, and im diggin it! What 130 amp alternator did you put in your truck? It appears that you didnt modify the lower or upper brackets, so did it just drop in? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spc mike
hey malteserunner, just started browsing through your build thread, and im diggin it! What 130 amp alternator did you put in your truck? It appears that you didnt modify the lower or upper brackets, so did it just drop in? Thanks!
I got my alternator from Eagle Auto Electric. They have them listed on eBay. It's a rebuilt Denso alternator, so it just bolts right in. I still haven't tested the actual output, but it works much better than the old one. My lights are brighter and they don't dim with the turn signal on like they did before. The winch sounds healthier under load, and my HID off road lights work well too. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

So, here's the deal. I went to my buddy's shop this morning to test the output of my new alternator. At idle, it's putting out around 20 amps. At best, with the motor revved and the charging system loaded, it puts out 72 amps. I called Eagle right away, to see what they'd say. They think they sent me the wrong part by mistake, and asked that I call back tomorrow to get a replacement ordered. I'll have to put a deposit on the new part, then they'll ship it out and I'll get refunded the deposit when they receive the original alternator. Sounds fair enough....as long as it all goes smoothly.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Well good luck with that.

I would be interested in testing my Alternator. I bought it off a guy on TTORA who claimed it was 130A. It was obviously new, never installed but I really just took his word for it on the amperage. I do know that my head lights are WAY brighter, but thats about it.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM

That's interesting. I was going to order this same exact one because you cant beat $90.00 for a claimed 130a alt. Keep us updated on how things go, and for sure test the replacement one.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
So, here's the deal. I went to my buddy's shop this morning to test the output of my new alternator. At idle, it's putting out around 20 amps. At best, with the motor revved and the charging system loaded, it puts out 72 amps. I called Eagle right away, to see what they'd say. They think they sent me the wrong part by mistake, and asked that I call back tomorrow to get a replacement ordered. I'll have to put a deposit on the new part, then they'll ship it out and I'll get refunded the deposit when they receive the original alternator. Sounds fair enough....as long as it all goes smoothly.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
You know thats funny I would be willing to bet that Jacob has never tested the output on his either... You guys, I have a VAT in the shop come and test them....this is why I did the bracket/GM switch on mine no shipping the unit back and forth plus there much cheaper for the GM alt and every parts store has them...My output at Idle is 45 amps with 97 amps at 3000 rpm with a total of 110 amps above that and I know there is bigger output ones in the same case you just have to look for the part number... Adam you can do that easy...just make sure they pay for shipping also (there mess up not yours)...did you take care of the frame yet so we can make the bracket?....
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dbcfr
...just make sure they pay for shipping also (there mess up not yours)...did you take care of the frame yet so we can make the bracket?....
Yeah, they'll be paying for shipping. I have to put off the frame work 'til after Pismo. Guess you were right about the alternator all along.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Yeah, they'll be paying for shipping. I have to put off the frame work 'til after Pismo. Guess you were right about the alternator all along.
Not right... I was just thinking of what would be the easiest trail fix and I know I can just about rebuild a GM alt on the trail if I have to... all you have to carrie with you to do that is a diode trieo and a regulator thats about all that ever goes wrong with them and I have a spare one of them in my old boat box as I used that same alt on my boats... trail fixs are easy you should try a boat fix a few hundred miles off shore in 20 foot swells all alone with no other boats in sight...

Last edited by Dbcfr; 09-21-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

The new alternator shipped today. Eagle was pretty easy to deal with over the phone. They seem genuinely concerned with getting the issue resolved. I am looking forward to testing out the new unit.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

I got the new alternator Friday, before we left to the Pismo Jamboree. I got it installed today, and the gauge reads noticeably higher. I'll be testing it out tomorrow at my friends' shop. I'll post up the results.

The housing is slightly larger all around...

Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

I tested the alternator today, on my lunch break... I'm pleased to say, it tested at 60 amps idling, and max output was 125 amps. This should be plenty for my accessories. I'll be shipping the first one back in the morning. I'll post up whether or not the return/refund goes smoothly.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
good to see everything worked out .. i know how people claim ebay is crappy .. but honestly the best deals are on ebay , ive had good experiences on there.

now i have to go test the alternator i bought off ebay for my runner.. never did do that.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 PM

good to hear you got that all sorted out. Seems like you're happy with the performance but is it any noisier? Oh! and when you test it out with your winch let me know how it holds up... Because with my old napa battery and stock alternator my charging system takes a beating when using my 10k winch.

Last edited by spc mike; 09-29-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RMA
good to see everything worked out .. i know how people claim ebay is crappy .. but honestly the best deals are on ebay , ive had good experiences on there.
I've bought some good stuff on eBay too. Most every purchase has been a good experience.

good to hear you got that all sorted out. Seems like you're happy with the performance but is it any noisier? Oh! and when you test it out with your winch let me know how it holds up... Because with my old napa battery and stock alternator my charging system takes a beating when using my 10k winch.
The performance has been great, so far. I have yet to test it with the winch, but when I do I'll post up. The alternator hardly makes any extra noise. A faint whine now and then, but that just tells me it's working. My charging system is in good shape with all the extras: Optima Yellow Top, 1 gauge battery cables, 4 gauge alternator lead in addition to the stock lead, plus extra engine and body grounds.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Is there any real advantage for the extra grounds? Where did you get those braided ground cables from?

Last edited by spc mike; 10-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Is there any real advantage for the extra grounds? Where did you get those braided ground cables from?
yes there is plus a well grounded car has good noise suppression for CB's and stereo's...
Motor to body grounds are the most common problems with computer related problems and lighting....
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok, now, all I want is some pics of you GETTING AIR, WHILE TALKING ON THE CB, THEN LANDING IN MUD, FLYING OUT OF IT WHILE DOING A DONUT.....then all the aforementioned in reverse, ...k? hahaha.

REALLY like your truck, man.... I'm doing some lights, soon. Found some Dick Cepek 8" Skin Melters from an old Dodge RAM Charger I had..... Going to do my dual battery w/isolator MOD, first, though. lol.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dbcfr
yes there is plus a well grounded car has good noise suppression for CB's and stereo's...
Motor to body grounds are the most common problems with computer related problems and lighting....
What he said. Plus Toyota's are prone to issues caused by poor grounds.

I got the ground straps at O'Reilly Auto Parts, in their HELP aisle. I'm actually going to add a couple more later.

Also, I got the full refund from Eagle Auto, for the returned alternator. Overall it was a good experience, but I'd definitely recommend getting any HO alternator tested, no matter who you buy it from.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you test the alternators amperage output?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
How do you test the alternators amperage output?
My buddy has a machine at his shop, that load tests the charging system. I think it's called a VAT. It puts a load on the alternator, and tests amperage at different RPM's.

Quick Reply: malteserunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread