86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

m0nst3rd0's 91 v6 XtraCab Build-up thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m0nst3rd0's 91 v6 XtraCab Build-up thread

Aloha, well first off Im a rookie here on the forums. I spend most of my time wrenching. You can call me MB.

So here's the story about the truck.

In 91 the truck was originally bought for a DD. About 3 years later the second owner took over the paperwork and had done some work over the years to the truck including K&N Performance Cold Air Intake, Aftermarket Headers, 4" Stage 2 Procomp lift, 5.29 gears

The previous owner knew an injector was leaking and didnt pay much attention to the issue. Well what turned out to be a nice drive out of the country and into the town surely went the wrong direction when an Engine bay fire broke out. The Kauai Fire Dep took care of the emergency and we handled the towing of the truck to my Dads house where it ended up.

It was toasted! (Sorry Lost Pics on old CPU) Radiator/Fan/Shroud melted. Wire harness melted all the way up to the firewall. Pretty much the whole passenger side was charred, including charcoal canister and some vaccumm lines.

A few parts were replaced while my dad swapped intake plenums with new wire harnesses. Including radiator, Refurbed Injectors and Misc hoses and lines.

We were told the Engine was new with about 60000 miles/160xxx on truck so my dad thought hey fix the leaky injector and put out the fire and we're good to go.

Well ˟˟˟˟ happens and he never thought to do a oil change and he ended up throwing a rod with no to low oil .

So guess what? If you figured im the Lucky one to yank out the 3.0 then give me some thumbs up! Got the engine out today in between the rain logging about 5hrs well spent figuring out how the Japanese designed this thing to be removed! Thumbs up for giving it a go!
m0nst3rd0's 91 v6 XtraCab Build-up thread-bck1y4c.jpg

Last edited by michaelmichael; 02-12-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 AM

haha, poor trucks had a rough start so far. hopefully youll bring it back to life.post more pics of the truck
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Picture Request:

Originally Posted by fordfanatic27
haha, poor trucks had a rough start so far. hopefully youll bring it back to life.post more pics of the truck

I am praying everything goes as planned, this is the first time I have ever CONSIDERED applying a wrench to the infamous 3vz. Im waiting on a few parts to get the ball rolling. Being 2000+ miles from California makes ordering parts from the Mainland U.S a hassle ( extra shipping+longer wait times ) dont even start about back order or not in stock!

Heres a few on the Cosmetic side.
m0nst3rd0's 91 v6 XtraCab Build-up thread-fqep2i9.jpg
m0nst3rd0's 91 v6 XtraCab Build-up thread-byyr7gx.jpg
m0nst3rd0's 91 v6 XtraCab Build-up thread-xvnihvs.jpg
m0nst3rd0's 91 v6 XtraCab Build-up thread-2w0xvco.jpg

There is rust everywhere including the frame, BUT is still safe to drive and the cab still keeps the rain out.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM

that body would be considered mint here. lol. nice truck.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Mint? No way!

Originally Posted by fordfanatic27
that body would be considered mint here. lol. nice truck.
got it for free

So far my Dad invested about $1000 in this rebuild since he was given the truck.

$100 on a donor 4 runner v6 150k that he initially needed the intake manifold and wire harness, but now im gonna be using the bottom end to get it running smoothly
$300 on rims and tires
and about $600 on the original engine that caught fire.

While I was busy working on my builds he did the initial Engine work to get it running again. I think the only thing i did was help him with the Rad installation and Tuning the AFM for the new injectors.