86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

K91776’s ‘87 4Runner build

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K91776’s ‘87 4Runner build

On Friday, I picked up my first Toyota! I’ve been on this site for quite some time but I finally got my hands on one. Got it for $4900, and it’s probably one of the cleanest I’ve seen around here. It has a 2 inch lift and brand new 33” BFG’s. Took it out today on the trails to stress test it and see what I need to fix and what needs to be modified. It scrubbed a little so a larger lift is definitely coming and that 22RE is probably not going to be able to power this thing for long. This build may be very slow, one income with two young children so y’all bear with me. Today I fixed the tailgate latch that was giving me issues and I will update this as often as I can. I hope you all enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails -6fbd3528-8448-44a1-8246-1bb0597b3c32.jpeg   -3a14d7f5-24c7-4287-9577-53b07974e8e0.jpeg   -26d8a50e-e5cb-4944-b216-06f13c8103cb.jpeg   -a2598c85-ebbe-4b50-9c1a-03815ec603da.jpeg  
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice find, doesn't look too rusty either... GL man
Old 06-04-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by hydrabyte
Nice find, doesn't look too rusty either... GL man
thank you so much! Yes, there is very little rust on it and it runs great! Ordered some new shocks gotta pick them up today when I get it up off the ground to replace those I’ll get a good look at the frame and everything.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:30 PM

Just a wee little update, got my shocks delivered, I wanted Old Man Emu shocks but my local shop couldn’t get them for the rears for a 2” lift? So I settled for skyjackers. I got a switch to replace the missing rear window switch and it plug in and works but the plug is huge and doesn’t fit the stock housing location. Does anyone know where I can find a rear window switch by chance? I looked through the part out section but couldn’t find anything and I’ve looked all over the internet but can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I’ll manage to get some shop time and replace the shocks and get a better look underneath to see if there is any major concerns. Also, replacing the ignition switch.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:20 AM

OME shocks, 2", can't get? hmm, thats the exact setup I and many others have.
If I have a spare window switch I'll PM you.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 AM

OME shocks, 2", can't get? hmm, thats the exact setup I and many others have.
If I have a spare window switch I'll PM you.

That’s what I thought! But he said he couldn’t get them and really needed to replace the rears so I had to get something so I just pulled the trigger on the sky jackers. If you have a switch you’d be a lifesaver! Just tell me how much you want for it and I’ll get the money to you. Thank you so much.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:58 PM

Man guys I'm getting discouraged.

I finally got some shop time to put the shocks and switch in and get a final look at the underneath, the shocks are the wrong ones so I have to take them back, I put the ignition switch in without issue thank god but now some of the other issues are starting to rear their ugly head. I was noticing a little electrical issues before but nothing too crazy but now today they seem to be going crazy. I took some videos to show and explain but of course i can't get any of them to upload so I'll try to figure that out later. I'll try to do my best to explain without the video's for now. My left blinker works normally, my right one flashes really fast, of course normally that means that a light bulb is out somewhere, nope, they all work. Next issue, every once in awhile I will put the clutch all the way in and the rpm's drop to zero, the seat belt light will come on and the buzzer will go off, blinker's won't work, how do I get it to go away you ask? I smack my shifter, not hard like a gentle spanking if you will.Does anyone know where I need to look? I know jack sh** about electrical stuff so I have a bunch of research to do and I'm about to dive in to the forums and see what I can find but any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, my gearbox is leaking so I need to find a replacement or figure some way to fix it. I did some research on my A/C that doesn't blow cold but for some reason I'm too stupid to completely understand what I'm reading but basically I have the one that's impossible to replace the freon on my own, the R12? or was it R21? Hell, I can't remember right now, anyways I'm starting to stress, hopefully something easy will pop up that I can fix and feel accomplished about.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:59 PM

Good news is there is barely any rust spots underneath the truck so I guess I've got that going for me. Hopefully I'll have pictures and videos working soon
Old 06-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 PM

nice man!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jon850FL
nice man!
thank you, hopefully have some progress soon.

And thank you so much hydrabyte I got the switches and relay, hopefully tomorrow night I’ll be able to try them out.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice and clean. Great find.
Did you figure out the electrical issue when shifting or the cause of the fast blinker? I too have a right fast blinker, but the blinker, brakes, etc. all light up the same as you describe. Did you check for an LED bulb in that socket? LEDs can cause hyper-blinking if other adjustments are not made. I don't have LEDs so now I'm leaning towards the flasher/turn signal relay, but not sure that could be it since it's just the right side.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:13 PM

I haven’t found anything! I’ve taken the test light to everything I possibly can and everything seems to be in order. All wires look good, no frays or loose connections. I’m stumped. Maybe I should just rewire the whole thing. I don’t know what to do.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:14 PM

I think I must be missing a ground somewhere that’s either loose or disconnected. I’ve got to keep digging.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Just got back from a cruise, that’s why I haven’t posted any updates. I’m hoping tomorrow I’ll get some shop time in and I’ll do an update.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure of the fast blinker issue. Those light sockets can get really corroded. I would give them a good cleaning or even replace the blinker assembly and see if that helps.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Not sure of the fast blinker issue. Those light sockets can get really corroded. I would give them a good cleaning or even replace the blinker assembly and see if that helps.
That makes sense, I’ll work on them today, I finally get some shop time.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:43 PM

Alright, so I managed to get a little done today. I replaced the broken mirrors and they look great. I then set out trying to tackle the issue with the back window. Got my new switch in that i got from Hydrabyte and set out to getting to the relay. While digging around and following wires that the previous owner threw in there ( I'm assuming he was blindfolded because the routing and wiring in that i saw was absolutely ridiculous) I found that my carpet smelled like mold. Yep, it was awful so I removed it and removed the garbage wiring and got back to getting to the relay which thanks to RAD4Runner's post I knew exactly where to look, found it, swapped it out and no change. Then set out to tearing the BS speaker panels the PO "installed" out to get to the Top Off Switch and to my dismay there were a bunch of unplugged connections laying around. Also a bunch of bedding foam I assume he was using as a sound dampener.
Bed foam, classy and functonal
There are some torn out wires, I have no idea where they go into the connector.

I didn't see any connection locations for them but maybe I'll see something tomorrow or some of you brilliant folks may be able to lead me in the right direction.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:30 AM

second to last pic, looks like the pig tail for the Deck lamp. Doesn't provide much light anyways, I wired in a set of these from Amazon, LEDMIRCY LED Rock Light. 4crawler has a MOD for this always ON versus Toyota's default, only works when parking or headlights are engaged.
Bedding foam, WOW!!!
Old 06-25-2018, 05:10 PM

second to last pic, looks like the pig tail for the Deck lamp. Doesn't provide much light anyways, I wired in a set of these from Amazon, LEDMIRCY LED Rock Light. 4crawler has a MOD for this always ON versus Toyota's default, only works when parking or headlights are engaged.
Bedding foam, WOW!!!

I’ll definitely have to look into that, thank you so much for the input.

Well ran in to more gremlins today, dash display went out, only thing that works is the speedometer and the odometer. Headlights work thank god but wipers and blinkers don’t. Shut it off to go into a store and came back and it wouldn’t start. No crank, nothing. Ended up having to jump off the starter relay, I’ll add that to the list of things to replace. Found a hose that’s ripped, The positive and negative cables need to be replaced, I have got to find out what’s causing all the electrical issues, they’re killing me. I’m going to upload a picture of a little fuse box that says diagnostics on it. Someone please tell me if what I see is normal or not. It looks like hell and filled with dielectric grease.
Attached Thumbnails -0c1e52fa-4239-4a65-918e-0ec298c020f5.jpeg   -8cf07262-6d94-47cc-883a-abcc649cc163.jpeg  

Quick Reply: K91776’s ‘87 4Runner build