86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jaretstuff's 1991 Toyota Pickup Budget Build

Old 07-15-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Jaretstuff's 1991 Toyota Pickup Budget Build

I lasted two months without a Toyota. That must be some kind of record for a Toyota freak like myself. Some people may remember me for my fairly built Toyota T100.

Well I sold it to a friend for a large sum so I could afford to get a new car for college. Bit the Toyota life has been calling ever since, and I never felt complete with my GMs I have

Last edited by jaretstuff; 07-16-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM

Flash forward to a normal sunny Saturday, my father and I were taking a load of scrap to the scrap yard. On the way driving back home he noticed an old pickup(fellow yota nut) back by the weeds. So I pulled in and asked the gentlemen if he wanted to sell. The answer was a surprising yes and I learned it has a decent rod knock to it. Not to be discouraged I asked him the price still expecting a $1-2k dollar answer as they are worth a lot in my area. The number he came back with was so surprising I agreed to it on the spot.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:36 AM

The truck is a 1991 Toyota Pickup base 4x4. It has a 22re and 5speed manual transmission. It is a single cab shortbed with an immaculate interior. The motor has a brand new head and head gasket. The clutch is good and new headlights, sending unit and exhaust system

Last edited by jaretstuff; 07-16-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:21 PM

I'm going to add an interesting twist to this thread. I'm capping it at a $1000 total budget and will document every penny spent on the truck.
Purchase Price $300
SR5 radio upgrade $FREE
Taxes and Title Transfer $25
Engine $100- going to be sold for parts
VHT Engine enamel $15
22re sticker $5
headgasket, timing chain, slave cylinder, and clutch kit, 22re sticker $165
oil change $15
Brand new 22re crank shaft $200
22re ring kit $25
22re bearing kit $30
new flywheel $50

Total as of 8//16: $920 until I sell the parts motor

Last edited by jaretstuff; 08-16-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Well I got her home. Motor is definetly shot, needs a battery, front left wheel bearing is trashed. And the brakes need work. The radio also doesn't work but other than that definetly cool little truck
Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Free SR5 radio upgrade to replace the broken radio.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Picked up the donor motor. For $100
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Finally moved it in the shop to make some progress. Everything is lining up to do the motor swap next week. In my spare time o have been trying to do some paint correcting.

Would really appreciate any ideas or feedback on my thread
Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice find, looks like the body got it a little rough in some spots. Hows the underside look like?

That's one of the nicest looking T100 I've ever seen btw just wow.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
body is a little rough, but looks like youre gonna have the paint shining in no time. what are the future plans for it?
Old 07-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
Nice find, looks like the body got it a little rough in some spots. Hows the underside look like?

That's one of the nicest looking T100 I've ever seen btw just wow.
thank you for the T100 compliment that was my baby. Front and rear lockers, superlift, bilstein 5100s, played a arms, 35s plate bumper and the truck was SUPER clean inside out and the frame was mint. The plans for this is to get it running and see how good I can make it for free. And then decide which panels are going to be replaced. Right now I'm think drivers door, both fenders and most likely the bed. If I can't find a bed it will get cut and capped at the lower body line. the underside is actually really good which is ironic. Got the door I'm saving almost perfect!

Last edited by jaretstuff; 07-22-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
body is a little rough, but looks like youre gonna have the paint shining in no time. what are the future plans for it?
I'm trying to salvage the paint so I will only have to paint replacement panels. The plan is going to be how good I can get it for around a grand. I'm off to school in two months so would like it most of the way done by then. If everything lines up how I hope it will probably be flipped. If not it will make a good woods vehicle and parts runner
Old 07-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Coming along I need doors if anyone has the hookup
Old 07-24-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
paint is coming along pretty nice man.

what're you using to remove all that heavy clearcoat oxidation?
Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Genera_lee
paint is coming along pretty nice man.

what're you using to remove all that heavy clearcoat oxidation?
I'm using a three step proscess right now. I used a course polish bonnet wih turtle wax compound about two passes. Then I use a fine bonnet with meguars ultimate polish. And then a hand wax with meguars cleaner wax
Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 PM

Got the motor pulled with the help of a more experienced friend.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Very nice paint restoration job.

Nice dude, that was pretty quick. What do you think about the donor motor? Are you gonna go through it all, or just give it the routine check up, pressure test, spark plugs, maybe new intake and valve gasket and see how it does?
Old 07-27-2017, 06:28 PM

Very nice paint restoration job.

Nice dude, that was pretty quick. What do you think about the donor motor? Are you gonna go through it all, or just give it the routine check up, pressure test, spark plugs, maybe new intake and valve gasket and see how it does?
that right there is the million dollar question sir! The initial plan was to pop the new motor in and go. But the more I see how much work is entailed to swap a motor (first time) the more I would like to go through it just a little. It has new rod bearings, and good compression but was never ran long enough for the guy to know how it runs. The motor in it right now is junk, but it has a (supposedly) reman head on it. So I would really like to check out the valves and if they are good put it on the new motor with a new head gasket. I'd also like to clean it and paint it black. I'm really debating on doing a new clutch and bearing since I have it apart.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:03 PM

Well, 100% do the clutch disc, throwout, pilot and pressure plate. As far as the engine goes, if it was mine, I'd clean it up, do the latter, and if the block doesn't have any cracks and the engine cranks over, I'd go for it. It's a budget build after all. No sense in putting a bunch of money into a donor motor you don't know too much about yet as of now. Maybe do the timing chain after, as I hear the guides get worn out over time, but aside from that, since it's a budget build, you won't know until she speaks to you. That's just my opinion anyways. I did the 3.4 swap on mine, only because my 3.0 wouldn't even crank over, and I didn't find out until halfway into my swap that the counter balance on the crankshaft was broke and cracked the block.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 AM

Well, 100% do the clutch disc, throwout, pilot and pressure plate. As far as the engine goes, if it was mine, I'd clean it up, do the latter, and if the block doesn't have any cracks and the engine cranks over, I'd go for it. It's a budget build after all. No sense in putting a bunch of money into a donor motor you don't know too much about yet as of now. Maybe do the timing chain after, as I hear the guides get worn out over time, but aside from that, since it's a budget build, you won't know until she speaks to you. That's just my opinion anyways. I did the 3.4 swap on mine, only because my 3.0 wouldn't even crank over, and I didn't find out until halfway into my swap that the counter balance on the crankshaft was broke and cracked the block.
that sounds like a good call. I'm going to get a new timing chain with steel guides, a new clutch kit w/throwout, pilot and pressure plate and a new slave and master cylinder. That way I know I'm good. I will also need some gaskets for the head and exhaust. For all the transmission stuff it will be about $135 and the timing chain and guide is $30.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jaretstuff's 1991 Toyota Pickup Budget Build