86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

HARRENSTEIN's 93 4runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HARRENSTEIN's 93 4runner Build-Up Thread

I am finally the owner of a toy! I was looking for a Tacoma for a while but found a good deal on this 4runner and I really needed something to haul my dirt bike. I picked this gem up for $460. It had a 3.0 and the owner said it had a bent rod but after tearing it down I found it was actually a bad connecting rod bearing. Not wanting to machine the crank and rebuild the 3.0 after everything I have read about them I decided to start looking for a 3.4.

Shortly after looking I found a engine trans and t-case for sale on this forum for $1200. (which if anyone needs an auto trans or t-case for a 2001 tacoma they are for sale - I am in southern Minnesota). So now I have got the 3.slow out and have started preparing the 3.4 to go in. I ordered a clutch kit and timing belt to get me started.

Now for my biggest challenge... My truck is a manual and the 3.4 came from a manual. I am going to try and make this ecu work. So if anyone has any advice on this post away.

Other then the motor the truck is in pretty good shape for a minnesota toyota. I ditched the running boards and gained some nice clearance. It has some 285/75-16 tires on it but they are about gone and the rims just look horrible so I am getting some 15x8 steelies and either 31 or 33 x 10.5" tires. Not sure what yet.. maybe bfg all terrains or something similar. Any suggestions here would be great. Sometime in the future I might add some ball joint spacers and lift springs.

Also, I will be building my own bumpers front and rear. I will post some pictures when I get some designs started.

The day after I picked her up.

More Ground Clearance

Room for the new bumper.

Old 3.slow

Dirty Rusty Engine!!

Deffinately need a new timing belt.

Started painting the 3.4... its not perfect but much better then the before.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I figured I would finally update this thread after getting some work done. Mostly been cleaning and painting this dirty engine. It looks a lot better now, I think anyways.

I got the 3.0 oil pickup, baffle and oil pan on now. As well as the 3.0 oil sender.

I have to stock crossover bolted on to see how much it would take to make it work. I think I could move the flange a bit and make it fit by the clutch solenoid. However, I would have problems by the time I got back to the transfer case. So... I am trying to find a ORS crossover for a reasonable price or might just buy an exhaust kit and make my own.

I have the 3.0 engine harness out of the truck and got the engine bay cleaned up. I am going to be making the battery tray here soon as well as a custom front bumper. Hopefully I can get the motor in soon and start tackling the wiring. I've been tempted to just buy a manual trans ECU but I think I'll just try the auto for now until i get the motor running. Then I figure its just plugging in a different ECU and probably changing a few wires around.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps it's just me, but none of your photos are showing up.

Never mind...just impatience on my part...continue with your regularily scheduled programming.

Last edited by RobD; 06-22-2010 at 07:38 PM.