86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

FuelforWar's 1993 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FuelforWar's 1993 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Hey everyone,

Well I bought this truck about 2 years ago with 186,--- miles on it, I'm now at almost 240,000. I've already added a 3" body lift, 33X12.5x15's on rock crusher 15" rims, aftermarket intake, and added auxillery lighting. Things been kind of a losing battle to keep it on the road unfortunally. So far i've had to replace; radiator, both front cvs, pitman arm, tierods (female and male ends), powersteering pump, engine fan, and the whole air intake set up (when the fan blew it took out everything). Still haven't gotten a new shroud for around the fan but i'll get to it eventually. Anyhow I have a list of mods I'm currently working on and just finishing up that I would like to post and hear feed back on. This includes vhting my lights, pulling out the carpet in the back and putting down bed liner, adding aftermarket reverse lights, and converting the storage bays in the back of my 4 runner into 6x9 speaker boxes. Hope to have alot of this posted soon for you guys . Any other ideas would also be greatly appreciated. I love this truck and working on it is a blast. Wish me luck.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Alright, well so far i've finished installing the aftermarket reverse lights (way better than stock), i've applied nightshade to all the lights minus the headlights and spot lights, and i've finished the bed lining in the rear bed of the truck. Next i'm going to convert the rear storage compartments behind the wheel wells into 6x9 speaker boxes. I'll upload photos of what i did here shortly but i'm quite happy with how it all looks so far.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Well sorry for the long wait. Been very busy. Well here is a recap of some of the things I have done with my truck since I have gotten it.

Installed a set of spot lamps on the front

Installed my 3 in body lift (I wouldn't recommend starting this project 2 hours before dark..)

Installed after market Air filter

running 33x12.5R15s

was given a set of fender flares for free off of a Tacoma. Had to make them work a lil but i think they look alright

Had an incident with the gas door a while back. due for another repair job or a replacement, and will everyone who needs a gas cap at a junkyard, please stop ripping off the doors. I've hit up at least 10 runners at a junkyard and everyone has been ripped off the hinge just so they can get the 5 dollar gas cap. the door costs $50! unpainted at the dealership

I went through and painted all the lights with vht night shade. I like the effect.

Another grafted part off of a tacoma. I intend on replacing these with correct runners eventually. sorry for the crappy pic. the other side is in perfect condition.

Installed these quite some time ago. work very well due to the elevated position. only downfall about them is your back window has to be relatively clean or else its hard to see once the light, lights up the window.

I like painting so heres some of the stuff I have worked on.

Just had to fix an oil leak out of the oil cooler. how would someone do this who doesn't have a 3 in body lift?

Anyhow I'll post up more later and as I do more. Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 PM

alright guys, well I got my hands on a set of 35's for fairly cheap. Just curious the best route to take to get enough room to fit them. Think a set of ball joint spacers in the front, and pro comp coils in the rear, and shocks all around would be enough? Also, does anyone know where to find a front bumper like ARB or Tactical Armor Group has that won't rape my bank account. I like the look of those bumpers over the bike frame tubing kind. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice rig. Looks like a beast. I dig the paintwork under the hood, that add an extra 12 hp? lol jk. Looks good keep it up man.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, looks great. I also love painting small things haha. where did you buy the night shade paint? Is that something I have to order? keep it up, and keep updating.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM

not sure how much horse power it would have added lol, and it actually wasn't intentional. My fan blew up on me and wiped out my whole air intake assembly, and you can get VHT nightshade at any schucks/O'reillys auto part store. I figure by next weeks pay check I can afford to get my coils and those bj spacers. Only thing i'm curious about is if i'm going to have to extend my brake lines. I already have a 3" body lift so there already pulled alil.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM

Well I have a few updates on the runner with some pictures Just went through and re did the truck bed liner in the back of the truck. The old stuff was scraped off and beat up. What do you guys think?

Also I got my 4" coils and shocks for the back!

Before:

After:

Now i'm just trying to figure the best option to raise the front the same. I've read through the forums and from what i can see I have a few options. I can either do 1.5 bj spacers, replace the torsion bars and crank them up, do a bracket lift, or go for a long travel kit. What is everyones opinion on this? I'd rather have a real front end lift rather than cranking the tbars since this will give me no flex, not to mention i like my cvs lol, but i'm not sure if a 1.5 bj spacer will be enough. I dont have all the money in the world either. so what would be the best, most cost effective option? Also after installing the 4" coils and shocks in the rear i noticed when i make a left hand turn, my drive shaft rubs on my gas tanks skid plate. Has anyone had this problem before?

Let me know what you all think, thanks!

Last edited by FuelforWar; 09-21-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Almost forgot, picked up a couple of hood scoops for ˟˟˟˟˟'s and giggles the other day lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM

"Also after installing the 4" coils and shocks in the rear i noticed when i make a left hand turn, my drive shaft rubs on my gas tanks skid plate. Has anyone had this problem before?"

You need a pan arm drop bracket or i think its called that. it will center your rear axle again after the lift.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Dude, look at your panhard bar... if you dont know what a panhard bar is, look at the picture you took of your suspension on the after shot... that bar is supposed to be completely flat.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM

didn't realize this, anyone know where i can get one, and will it hurt me to drive it for a while like this? this is my DD. I do notice a lil hum when i first start taking off.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 PM

no one?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...taOnlyProducts
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM

You need a panhard and an LSPV.... your axle and your brake proportions are so out of whack with that set up,
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM

thanks for the advise. Ordering that panhard bracket and I think i'll customize a bracket for the brake problem. Any advise for the front end before i make another unknowing mistake?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM

the front is self explanitory... maybe extended brake lines.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
the front is self explanitory... maybe extended brake lines.
not exactly.. still trying to figure the best way to lift it. There is a few different ways to.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by FuelforWar
not exactly.. still trying to figure the best way to lift it. There is a few different ways to.
Cranking the torsion bars slightly would help some. I'd say go with the bj spacers and crank them up slightly. Should help level things out. Get some longer brake lines. Unless anyone can chime in on maybe just rerouting them.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM

Do the NJ spacers and a different drop to keep the CVs happy, crank your tortion bars just enough to dial it in.

Quick Reply: FuelforWar's 1993 4Runner Build-Up Thread