86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Flying91's 1991 4runner LOWEST SAS 30" tires

Old 07-24-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK... So the budget build is gone....and so are the 30"s

Sitting on some old 35"s because I sold the 30"s Suspension is unchanged. 1966 Ford F600 project in the background.

Not sure what I'll b replacing the 30"s with but it actually fits 35"s pretty good.

Looks way too mean on 35x12.50

Been working a lot of hours so I ordered a $$$$$ fuel system for the supra engine. 12" travel 5125 shocks with softer valving. Not 255/70 or whatever the normal is, these are 170/60 I believe

Mounted the new intake to work on adapting all the vacume hoses ect. most likely going to delete the EGR.

Started making a flange for the idle speed control valve that needs to be added to the intake.

The following users liked this post:
Bob Johnson (01-18-2020)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Flying91
The custom steering arm proved to be too complicated... so on to Plan B
FJ60 parts. I ordered a full steering rod end kit from cruisercorps.com I shorted the tierod about an inch (half an inch off of each side) and threaded in the new FJ60 rod ends. For the tie rod I'm either going to have to make a new one of order a custom one. Based on the price of the taps I'm probably way better off to order one.

And just a picture of the new 4runner with the body lift gone and the torsion bars loosened up

That's some really good work. I'm in love with the 87... Just bought a 2004, I've had 2 1st gen, one 2nd, and now my fourth gen... I love Toyota.
The following users liked this post:
Bob Johnson (01-18-2020)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:45 PM

yo brother
Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thats a clean 87! Making me jealous
Old 08-31-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Do you have any info on those wind deflectors? I've been looking for a pair. Do they allow you to open the wing windows?

And just a picture of the new 4runner with the body lift gone and the torsion bars loosened up

Old 11-18-2016, 05:12 AM

Haven't updated in awhile, but I'm making progress. I don't have any info on the vent shades they were on it from the previous owner, but the vent windows can't be opened.

Tried a RUF setup, but I didn't like it. Axle was way to far forward and shackles were almost parallel to the bottom of the frame.

I finished machining down the IFS hubs on the lathe to fit 295mm Tacoma brake rotors

Bought some new tires and wheels. They are probably 2 or 3 sizes too big but they look awesome.

Rear is saggy going to add a bigger shackle
Old 11-20-2016, 09:14 AM

I hit it hard yesterday.

Hauled the beast to the shop

Mounted the steering box

Started building a rear bumper and tire carrier

Found a picture from six years ago when I got it to be my dd. All stock except the wheels and tires. 3.0 V6 auto
Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i dig it! keep the updates coming.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still a little confused on what springs you used in the front. I would like to do something similar, so for the record it looks like you have a drop box of some sort from the frame that the spring mounts are welded to, maybe 2"? You had stock rear springs from a pickup in there, but switched them out with? What shackles are you using, how long are they and are they mounted through the frame?

Thanks for doing something different!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
What size tire did you end up buying?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:25 PM

he hasnt been on in a few months.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Yeah, that sucks. I was hoping it would get finished up.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:06 AM

Not gone just slow to update

Sorry to leave you guys stranded. I'm still making progress on the build and have a bunch of new pictures to add coming soon.

To answer some questions the front uses a 7.5" lift spring from a factory solid axle truck. I added 6" allpro shackles and took out all but the main two leafs of the spring pack. This de-arched the springs to maybe 5" arch. Ill add some flatter springs from a set of 88 rears to keep the axle warp down.

In regards to the frame I coppied the measurements from a 1984 4runner frame and droped the front spring hanger down. I'm not sure how far it is droped down but I can get a measurement. Although if you want to do something similar to me you would want to drop it a bit further.

The shackles are mounted through the frame in the factory position, but again learn from my mistake and
move them forward.

The rear is stock 1999 tacoma leaf springs and shackles with allpro mounts.

Tires are 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3

Wheels are Ion Alloy 15x10 4" backspace
Old 01-26-2017, 08:57 AM

It didnt happen if there are no pics !!!

Sorry these pictures are out of order but an update is an update !

Front suspension continues to evolve to perfection. With the 7.5" lift springs up front and a stock shackle my ride height was good but my shackles pointed forward . To solve this problem I ordered a 6" set of shackles from Allpro and de-arched the front springs. The flatter spring profile makes the pack longer to correct the shackle angle. It also has the added bonus of more flex and a much softer ride for the atrocious potholes of WV

One lug stud wasn't going to do it... so I made a plate with all 6

Flex is much more balanced than it was before with the more arched springs and stock shackles. With IFS all you get is rear flex... the IFS flexes very little, but with my new set up the front and back flex about the same amount but in opposite directions. This keeps the body as flat as possible, keeping the CG in the middle = more stable.

Went to see my buddy down at the dealership and got a Knock sensor harness and new bearings for a 8" Toyota Elocker. [/SPOILER]

Started making my custom oil pan on the bottom of a 3.4 I'm going to put in the silver 87. It's nice to have an essentially identical motor to build a custom pan on. I bolted the flange tight to the block to keep warping to a minimum.

Got a new set of Nitro Gear and Axle 29 spline 5.29 for 8" Elocker.

My spare tire mounting plate before I welded it to the bumper. I didn't have the exact size drill bit I needed for the studs, some of them taped in tight and some could be wiggled loose, so I put a nice hot tack weld on all of them.

Another of the oil pan. I ended up switching to the factory mid sump, it landed right in the gap between the axle and the steering links

Made some spanner wrenches to spin the adjuster wheels on the Elocker.

Way deep with a 0.112" shim

Picked up a JDsquared Model 32 tube bender. Ill be making my front bumper and fender guards / sliders / "keep the cops of my ass tire coverage hoops" out of some 1.5" .153 wall DOM or something similar. I really don't like the big 1.75"-2" DOM bumpers and sliders I'd prefer 1.125" or 1.25" but I'm going with the 1.5" for strength. If you didn't already know, the thickness of the tube has a much lesser effect on its strength compared to its diameter. The thickness mostly helps prevent dents in the tube. That's why you can build a sub frame for 8 foot lift mud truck with 65" tires out of 2" .120 wall.

New gears and stock shim....NOT PRETTY..... don't just toss in a stock shim and call it good

Some stuff I bought from Ruffstuff's 20% off sale 1" clevis/shackle mount for rear bumper, rear shock mounts (not sure it they are long enough I might use stock ones off the 4runner housing. I hate to cut up a perfectly good rust free housing though)
Also bought roll cage mounting tabs to make my fender guard / slider / "keep the cops off my ass" tire coverage hoops removable. Since I have essentially no suspension lift I can take the guards off and toss on a set of stockish size tires (33x10.50) and pass regular WV inspection, without having the "never skip leg day" look.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Sorry to leave you guys stranded. I'm still making progress on the build and have a bunch of new pictures to add coming soon.

To answer some questions the front uses a 7.5" lift spring from a factory solid axle truck. I added 6" allpro shackles and took out all but the main two leafs of the spring pack. This de-arched the springs to maybe 5" arch. Ill add some flatter springs from a set of 88 rears to keep the axle warp down.

In regards to the frame I coppied the measurements from a 1984 4runner frame and droped the front spring hanger down. I'm not sure how far it is droped down but I can get a measurement. Although if you want to do something similar to me you would want to drop it a bit further.

The shackles are mounted through the frame in the factory position, but again learn from my mistake and
move them forward.

The rear is stock 1999 tacoma leaf springs and shackles with allpro mounts.

Tires are 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3

Wheels are Ion Alloy 15x10 4" backspace
Do you know what brand of spring it is on the front? What's the length eye to eye? It might help your shackle angle if you use the main leaf from a rear spring, if that's not what you are using already.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:26 PM

Im not sure what brand the springs are but I can take some measurements. I think there are still some numbers on the main leaf also. I'll look at them and see if I can help you identify them. I bought an entire barn full of 1985 -1988 parts and they were brand new Just laying in a barn. I never thought I'd use them, until I had the spring under axle idea. With spring over I'm sure they could easily fit 40"s or bigger.

I did try the rears up front idea but the shackle was almost laying parellel to the frame. They didnt have enough arch to get the right shackle angle or ride height. With more lift (add a leaf) and bigger tires I think the spring under RUF would be a great idea.

If your wanting to do something similiar to my rig I can get you some good measurements and suggestions on how to improve on what I have done so far.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 PM

I'm really not too sure what I want to do at this point, but I have an axle that will go in sooner or later. IFS with ball joint spacers has been ok for the things I do with my truck, it's mostly the steering that sucks. I'm tired of constantly breaking idler arms and doing alignments. However, I do not plan on ever running bigger than 33" tires and would like to keep my ride height close to what it is now.

Considering there is little to no documentation on the net about a swap like you have done there I can honestly say that even if I don't decide to go that route personally someone will. Sooner or later the measurements and documentation will be appreciated.

Thanks for keeping the thread going.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM

Please get as much info and measurements as you can. Like atlas said, this may have ben done in the past, but ive never seen it DOCUMENTED. take measurements, take pictures, give ideas on what to change next time, get numbers on things like flex gained, etc!

im watching closely. excited to see you back in the saddle and excited to see where you take it.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Classes are back in session now. I don't have much time for my projects. That being said I plan to work on it as much as I can but I don't expect it to be finished until after finals. I always hit it hard on my breaks from class so you guys may have to wait till spring break fro the next update. I plan to install shock hoops from chassis unlimited. I've already mocked up shocks for the front. I cut out the inner fenders to allow for the long travel shocks. The top of the shock is going to mount up right next to the brake master. I have to finish welding up my oil pan and fuel tank toss in some drive shafts and do a little pinch weld trimming. Will update as progress is made.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the update and good luck with the classes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flying91's 1991 4runner LOWEST SAS 30" tires