86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
HOLY CRAPOLI, ....I'd forgotten, mine was shaved, too! lol. And yeah, here's the latest....

Me, "Hey Tod, just curious how you ship from engnbldr"..... "UPS, sir.....but our Cable-net is being serviced, in fact, all over the PNW, so we're not able to send you tracking stuff.....Lemme look....... it says, 'In truck scheduled to be delivered, today' , ....sound good?" Me, "YES, WOOT, WOOT!" hahahaha.

Seriously, guys, ...how many vehicle owners, other than Toyota, get so excited about the UPS man showing up with parts so they can work on them for hours???? hahahahaa.

I also asked him about the gasket and he said, "OHHHHHH, yeah, I see what you mean..... Got a razor blade and straight edge? That'll do it, just do a TINY bit at a time, till it fits snug up against the HG...you're good to go." WOOT! lol.

Thanks, Brandon, ...I figured that was the case, but I'd forgotten that I had the block shaved for the head. FANTASTIC! Too bad UPS delivers in my area around 5PM! hahaha.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
your block was shaved or you head? Normally it's just the head. Just makin sure though. If it was the block they shaved the timing cover with it right? They should have. When I gave my block to the machinists I also gave them the timing cover with the 4 main bolts so they could bolt it down when they shaved it, to make sure it was flush. I also had a tick taken off the bottom as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM

DOLT! lol... Sorry, yes, the head was shaved, not the block...THAT I KNOW OF! lol. I'll ask him, just to be sure, as I KNOW that the new cover might be a problem if that's the case. I think the block was fine, pretty sure, lol.

HEY, UPS IS HERE, BRB! LOL
Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Just compare the new cover with the old cover to make sure. Did you ever give him you timing cover? Oh wait that's right, he did the work the first time, would have had to. Hopefully he didn't shave the block and not tell you.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Yea, brandon, I know, right??????????? EEEK! lol. He wouldn't remember, dude, ....I spoke to him yesterday, he's sending me an LCE timing kit, cuz he can't find it. Great, I'll now have 3! hahaha.

Anyway, UPS CAME and dropethed the Boxeth in my handeth! lol ALLELUIA!

I'm heading out to check out some stuff, clearances, etc., and I'll check back in later. Thanks, guys!

Mark
Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man this thread grows fast, i checked this morning and now there is a whole page more of post. Hope you get it figured out, have lots of good help on here. I am saving parts to do a SAS.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM

Wow, congratz on that, Cougar! BTW,.....GREAT TO HEAR FROM YA, BUD! Best wishes with that SAS!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
hey man, i am guessing it is warm enough where you are that you will be getting to work on those new parts! ha ha
seems like you got the clearance issue all "cleared" up? well, figured out possible cause and solution at least.
i have a question for you or anyone else that has had the block/head shaved/decked, do you have to get an adjustable gear for the cam to get your timing back on track because the cam is now closer to the crank (because of overhead cam)?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by de6w6it
hey man, i am guessing it is warm enough where you are that you will be getting to work on those new parts! ha ha
seems like you got the clearance issue all "cleared" up? well, figured out possible cause and solution at least.
i have a question for you or anyone else that has had the block/head shaved/decked, do you have to get an adjustable gear for the cam to get your timing back on track because the cam is now closer to the crank (because of overhead cam)?
my truck has the blocked decked and i didnt change the timing gear to an adjustable one but it wasnt nething crazy just to make it true when i put the new preformance head on it. i dont have any problems with the way my truck runs
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by de6w6it
Hey Dewit! Thanks for stopping in. There's one answer^^^ lol. Worked for him... I'm not sure on how severe it can get, but I know that some have had issues that actually pushed them to running an adjustable gear. XXX, a very helpful homie who posts on here, often?>....I believe he has one. He's Carb'd, but that shouldn't make any difference in the mechanical timing components of the 22r-re. I think it could help, since often, after decking, the timing get's REALLY close to the edge when you're dialing in the dizzy. With that gear, you get a lot more room to play with, from what I understand.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:54 PM

HEY GUYS.... got a funny story to share once I get done with dinner. It's not long, but more than one line. BBl8r t8rs!

Mark
Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Mark....if I wasn't reading back a page or 2 , I would have insisted on pics of your shaved head.....ahahahaha
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM

thats good, yea you have to read back a bit to know whats going on. i been on here just havent been posting. been mainly doing alot of research for the sas.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Hey Jerry, hahaha... yeah, it's been a while since I've buzzed it. I think, as maybe you can attest(not sure).....as we gain OMS, we lose hair, slowly in some cases and faster in others! lol.... Then, what we lose on top of our head, we start growing in the oddest places! hahaha(nothing perverted, lol). Well, that being said, ....... I think I'll stick with a somewhat stylish du, until it just looks too ridiculous when I try to style it! hahaha.

Hey Cougar, I hear ya.... I know you have a lotta research to do, ...but it's pretty well laid out now,.....so I'm guessing you're just more so hunting for parts(axle) and such. I'm sure you'll do a great job, as always. I considered it, heavily....but decided against the 3G's MOD! lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Far as the story I have.....

Today, when taking a break from work and walking outside, I decided to clean up the oil pump really well....gears and all. Then measure it out. Well, I had the cover upside down, oil pump drive spline inserted. I figured I'd head out to clean it in the sun, it was really nice out. Well, on my way to the table out back, I tripped, caught my balance, but in the process, tilted the arm with the cover to keep from falling........'SLIIIIIDE, KERPLUNK'.....went the spline into the pool! hahaha. I had a brief panic attack, then got my long pole picker/cutter-with-catcher, went down to the deep end with it and SNAGGED the spline in the first shot! lol. No, it's not the east coast, .....but the pool is around 55F.... no thanks! hahaha. AND THENNNNNNNNNNN, I walked over to the table, acetone, cleaned up the spline, ....then as I took off the oil pump from the cover, I lost my grip and it flipped over and the gears fell out in 2 directions, .....one in my lap, one a SPECTACULAR one handed Chef's save about an inch from the concrete!!! hahaha. DANG, GUYS, .....just a great day! hahaha

I'll get some pics in the morning...I have the timing kit all installed, but the drivers side steel rail seems to be RIGHT ON the chain....not near it, but actually almost pushing on it. I've adjusted the drivers side steel guide out as far as it will go...just seems like a tight fit. The plastic one I took off....the chain didn't literally TOUCH the guide....just close, but no touchy! lol. ANY IDEAS???? Will it correct itself as it gets turned over a couple times?

I also came up with a trick to hold the CAM/timing chain gear on the CAM, without being in the way of the "Hidden Timing Cover Bolt". I used the Cup/Washer that goes above the diff drop located bolts, got a shorter bolt of the same thread and it's on there, hand tight but snug until I am ready to put the dizzy drive gear back in with the cam bolt and crank it down.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Far as the story I have.....

Today, when taking a break from work and walking outside, I decided to clean up the oil pump really well....gears and all. Then measure it out. Well, I had the cover upside down, oil pump drive spline inserted. I figured I'd head out to clean it in the sun, it was really nice out. Well, on my way to the table out back, I tripped, caught my balance, but in the process, tilted the arm with the cover to keep from falling........'SLIIIIIDE, KERPLUNK'.....went the spline into the pool! hahaha. I had a brief panic attack, then got my long pole picker/cutter-with-catcher, went down to the deep end with it and SNAGGED the spline in the first shot! lol. No, it's not the east coast, .....but the pool is around 55F.... no thanks! hahaha. AND THENNNNNNNNNNN, I walked over to the table, acetone, cleaned up the spline, ....then as I took off the oil pump from the cover, I lost my grip and it flipped over and the gears fell out in 2 directions, .....one in my lap, one a SPECTACULAR one handed Chef's save about an inch from the concrete!!! hahaha. DANG, GUYS, .....just a great day! hahaha

I'll get some pics in the morning...I have the timing kit all installed, but the drivers side steel rail seems to be RIGHT ON the chain....not near it, but actually almost pushing on it. I've adjusted the drivers side steel guide out as far as it will go...just seems like a tight fit. The plastic one I took off....the chain didn't literally TOUCH the guide....just close, but no touchy! lol. ANY IDEAS???? Will it correct itself as it gets turned over a couple times?

I also came up with a trick to hold the CAM/timing chain gear on the CAM, without being in the way of the "Hidden Timing Cover Bolt". I used the Cup/Washer that goes above the diff drop located bolts, got a shorter bolt of the same thread and it's on there, hand tight but snug until I am ready to put the dizzy drive gear back in with the cam bolt and crank it down.

Haha awe come on chef!
You should of manned up and dove in to get it.
And got someone to video it.
That would have proved how COMMITTED you are you your YOTA
But maybe thats just me. Haha. Glad your gettin it back together, couldn't tell you on the guide...I would think that after the engine turns over a couple of times it would reposition itself.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM

Hey Dewit! Thanks for stopping in. There's one answer^^^ lol. Worked for him... I'm not sure on how severe it can get, but I know that some have had issues that actually pushed them to running an adjustable gear. XXX, a very helpful homie who posts on here, often?>....I believe he has one. He's Carb'd, but that shouldn't make any difference in the mechanical timing components of the 22r-re. I think it could help, since often, after decking, the timing get's REALLY close to the edge when you're dialing in the dizzy. With that gear, you get a lot more room to play with, from what I understand.
dont know if im taken this the wrong way but you make it sound like im stupid. i was looking for my receipts on how much they did take off at the shop but couldnt find it. like i said it was just to true it out so that the new head would fit together perfect no worries on nething being warped when i put everything back together.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by baddest94
dont know if im taken this the wrong way but you make it sound like im stupid. i was looking for my receipts on how much they did take off at the shop but couldnt find it. like i said it was just to true it out so that the new head would fit together perfect no worries on nething being warped when i put everything back together.
Yep, you are taking it the wrong way. No biggie,.. but, I have NEVER, not once, insulted anyone's intelligence on here(ok, that's not true... I insult myself all the time! hahaha)... and I wouldn't start with someone I've not even become familiar with, just yet, ....and even more so because, well... nothing you said sounded 'off' at all, haha. To be honest, I wouldn't really know....thus, my 'LOL'.... Only know what I've heard on this one, Baddest.

That's the world of the net though, eh? If I had a dime for every time someone misinterpreted what I was intending to purvey upon the net... I'D BE RICH! HAHAH. NO offense intended, Baddest......none at all. I VERY much appreciate anyone stopping in and droppin some knowledge or personal experience... Hopefully, a couple people have learned/saved some trouble/found good advice on my build thread. Really the main reason I like to keep it up....and, also, to keep a record of things as I seem to be a lil more forgetful as I age, lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 PM

Yep, you are taking it the wrong way. No biggie,.. but, I have NEVER, not once, insulted anyone's intelligence on here(ok, that's not true... I insult myself all the time! hahaha)... and I wouldn't start with someone I've not even become familiar with, just yet, ....and even more so because, well... nothing you said sounded 'off' at all, haha. To be honest, I wouldn't really know....thus, my 'LOL'.... Only know what I've heard on this one, Baddest.

That's the world of the net though, eh? If I had a dime for every time someone misinterpreted what I was intending to purvey upon the net... I'D BE RICH! HAHAH. NO offense intended, Baddest......none at all. I VERY much appreciate anyone stopping in and droppin some knowledge or personal experience... Hopefully, a couple people have learned/saved some trouble/found good advice on my build thread. Really the main reason I like to keep it up....and, also, to keep a record of things as I seem to be a lil more forgetful as I age, lol.
sorry man for taken it the wrong way just the way i read it i guess. i aint a mechanic man i just go by what ive done and heard sorry if i was rude man been reading through your build and so far so good im workn on get me a 4runner will post the pics if i do. again sorry
Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 PM

PLEASE don't be sorry, Bud... it happens, and it takes a LOT more than a misunderstanding to get me bitter or aggravated, lol. If you have ANY questions, just ask. PM's don't work for me at the moment...waiting on a solution from the IT guy on here. If I can help, I will. I've been through most of this thing now.... so I might just have an answer...MAYBE, Lol.

Have a good'n, Baddest,

Mark

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread