86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Caitlyn the 2nd Gen 4Runner-ish

Old 03-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
My thoughts exactly
Old 03-02-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Hope I'm wrong. I was when I ran a set after a similar situation with a water leak and thought gears were fine. Not a big deal and its not a DD, just keep an eye out for them.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 PM

We will find out soon enough. Setting up the rear end tonight.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Thanks to good friends, I got a lot done on Caitlyn this weekend. Daryl came over and set up the rear end. The Detroit is in and we ended up with an awesome pattern. All that is left to do is bolt in the axle shafts and fill it up with 90w.

I was also able to get the new rear leaf packs in, but it sits way too high. Looks like I will need to pull a leaf or two out of the pack.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:11 PM

It took me long enough, but I finally have an update! I got a bit sidetracked with the modifications and “testing” of our 5th Gen Runner…

Hopefully I will have a complete write-up on it done soon, just waiting for a few more things. But that is not what you are here to see, so moving on to Caitlyn:

As I said previously, when the rear end locked up it bent my rear leaf springs. They were TrailGear 5” springs (which have a 190lb rating) with a few leafs removed. This is what they ended up looking like:

I wanted a little bit stiffer of a spring, so I opted to get TrailGear 4” springs with a 200 lb rating. I through them in and the back sat way too tall. (No pic of that… It looked too ridiculous.)

Last night, my amazing wife came out in the garage with me to pull a couple of leafs out of the 4” pack and get everything back together. It was great having an extra hand! The final product looks perfect. I only hope that the springs don’t settle too much. If they do, I can always add a leaf back in.

***Shop hint: Using an engine hoist to lift the back to the truck to swap leaf springs is SO much easier (and less scary) than using a 60” Hi-Lift.

I was also able to get my rear shocks installed.

And the seat brackets for the new seats came in!

There is not a lot left to do before I am ready to take her out on a test run. I’m getting excited but I’m also feeling the deadline looming… I need to stop playing with the 5th Gen and get my butt in gear!

Last edited by CreeperSleeper; 04-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
That's awesome!
if you ever wanna borrow jackstands I have a few
truck is looking good!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:59 PM

Those would have to be some damn tall jackstands! LOL
Old 03-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by CreeperSleeper
Those would have to be some damn tall jackstands! LOL
I have 2 sets of 12 ton that go up to 28"
came in handy when doing the suspension on the trekker and again when I stripped that truck

I do like the engine hoist idea though!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 AM

I have a couple of those too. Even with the tires off, I didn't have enough droop of the axle to pull the leaf springs. The first time I used a 60" Hi-Lift and scared the pee out of myself. The hoist worked great! LOL
Old 03-31-2018, 05:04 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I cut a couple 4X4s to build up a platform for jackstands nothing like blocking and bracing to get a job done. I don't like to go much higher than level and use cross legs of sliders hold rig. I'll never use a hi-lift again to fully droop suspension. Almost dropped rig last time, I use cargo straps to limit suspension droop to change tires.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Worked on her a little bit last night. I got the rear end all buttoned up (with fluid this time). I also got the passenger seat mounted.

Last edited by CreeperSleeper; 04-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Glad you decided to use gear oil this time!

you gonna be around Saturday? May try to cruise out your way
Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Glad you decided to use gear oil this time!

you gonna be around Saturday? May try to cruise out your way
I figured it would be a good idea this time around. I actually checked the t-cases too, just in case.

I should be around Saturday, just shoot me a message on IG.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:09 AM

Not a huge update, but we were able to drive Caitlyn to dinner last night! I am shocked at how well it drives. However, the check engine light came on halfway there and it will not idle down by itself... Stab the throttle and it drops to where it needs to be. I guess I got some chasing to do.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Will do on saturday.

does your 3.4 have the OBD2 port?
do you have a scanner? I have one if you wanna pull codes

Last edited by dropzone; 04-05-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Sounds good! I have TechStream software and an old laptop, but I haven't yet tried to make them talk. My 3.4 has an OBD2 port, but I don't have an individual scanner. I'm hoping I can get my TechStream working. If I can't, I may be seeing if I can borrow that scanner!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 AM

A couple of days ago, I finally got my old dinosaur laptop running XP to download and work with an old version of Toyota Techstream. Armed with that and a FSM, I started digging into finding out what is causing the high idle.

It was a little weird using a computer for diagnostics. This will definitely be a learning curve for me.

Anywho… I pulled the codes and found P0125. I cleared the code. Fired the truck up and played with the real time monitoring. That was very cool, but I really didn’t know what I was looking at. She was still idling high and my computer needed a reboot, so I unplugged it and started doing some “old school” diagnostics.

It looked like the throttle cable was at a funny angle, so I adjusted that. It’s in rough shape so that may need to be replaced at some point, but I know that is not the issue because I was running the engine with the throttle cable disconnected. Another suggestion was the IAC causing problems. With the engine running I unplugged the IAC and the engine instantly sounded funny and running rough. It didn’t die but I didn’t give it any throttle either. With that I know the IAC is doing something, just not sure what.

I drove her a bit (maybe a mile), just to see what would happen. The MIL was on, she wouldn’t idle down by herself, and I got light constant throttle hesitation twice. Got back to the house and plugged in Techstream. This time I got two codes: P0125 (again) and P0505.

P0505 sounded promising and there was a “freeze frame” stored showing what was going on when the trouble code happened. I wish I know what it all meant. LOL!

After that, I pulled out my FSM to see what it said about those codes in the diagnostics section. I got this:

And this:

So from what I can deduct, there is something going on with the O2 sensor upstream of the cat and an issue with the IAC. I had to move on to another project, so I put my tools away with the game plan of chasing the P0505 code first. That seemed like the correct path to fix the high idle. Then it occurred to me that I caused the P0505 code when I unplugged the IAC….

So, I guess I will start by chasing the P0125 code. LOL! That being said, does anyone have any experience with the upstream O2 sensor causing high idle? If you pull up to a stop sign, the idle will hang at 1500 or so. If you blip the throttle, the idle will drop to 600-ish and stay there until you give it gas again. I can replicate this in the garage, too, so it is not load dependent. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited by CreeperSleeper; 04-25-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Finally got time to warm the truck up and monitor the sensors. Both 02 sensors passed the heating cycle, but the front sensor is showing 0 volts. The sensor that is in there looks new-ish, but I bought a new Denso to replace it. I go to unplug the sensor and the PO hard wired it! So now I don't know if the sensor is actually bad or if it was wired wrong...
Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 PM

No update on Caitlyn as of right now, but I will be working on her again this week. I just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that I started a thread on the 5th Gen 4Runner that seems to be detracting me so much. LOL! https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f202...-4r-tp-304212/
Old 05-10-2018, 09:42 AM

A HUGE thanks to Tons-O-Fun for coming over and helping me with Caitlyn last night. We (he) was able to hard wire the rear O2 sensor and move the pigtail to the front. There is a lot less room around the front sensor, so that made sense to switch it around instead of hard wiring the front sensor again. I wouldn't have been able to do it without his impressive soldering skills and ability to see what colors the wires were. LOL!

I was full of hope as I pulled her out of the garage for a test drive. I made it about two miles before the MIL came back on... Now I don't know what to do. She has also started hesitating on light throttle and accelerating from idle. This has been getting progressively worse the more I drive it. It doesn't do it all of the time, so it is difficult to figure out why and when. Just guessing, but I may have been running it in open loop and short trips enough that the spark plugs are fouling since it is running so rich. Or it could be a non-related fueling issue. As for the code, I'm really not sure. I have been clearing the code through TechStream and I haven't disconnected the battery. Maybe it is stored in the ECUs memory, but that seems like a long shot to me.

My current plan of attack is to start by pulling the spark plugs and see if I can get a read on them. I will also disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. After that, I will try to do some live monitoring on TechStream to see if the ECU is reading any voltage from the front O2 sensor. I am hoping that all of that gives me a direction to jump because I am running out of ideas. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Looking at the calendar, it is becoming clear that Caitlyn may not be ready by Rubithon. I have so much to do and if I can't get her running correctly in the next few days, I don't think I will have time to have it dialed in enough to trust it on that trail. I really don't want to be the guy with issues out there! I may need to start thinking of alternatives, which from what I can see, I don't like any of them. I am trying to stay positive and motivated, but it is proving difficult to say the least... Does anyone want to buy a really cool 4Runner that needs some work? (Half joking)

Search this Thread