86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85gijunk4x4's 1988 pickup buildup thread (Angus)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you've got the seat back in but I lifted the carpet out when cleaning mine for the first time, hung it up and hit it with a pressure washer. It's amazing how clean it got and also how much crud was underneath it.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deerlakejens
I know you've got the seat back in but I lifted the carpet out when cleaning mine for the first time, hung it up and hit it with a pressure washer. It's amazing how clean it got and also how much crud was underneath it.
lol that was my dads old trick...me, i usually hit it with that carpet foam stuff, scrub it with a rag soaked in hot water, and then hit it with a carpet shampooer and steam cleaner. didnt really do anything to this carpet besides clean it because its a truck, its gonna spent alot of time in the woods, and i know its eventually going to get dirty again....but one day, just one day i'll get it all cleaned up

and i put toyota mudflaps on my floor since i dont have a set of floormates, so that way i can remove them and shake them off every now and then
Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
yeahh i know whatcha mean...im slowly gettin to know the 3vz, but i just love the simpliticty of the 22re, it would be cool to have both my rigs the same engine so i can interchange parts and stuff like that to test out broken parts and whatever....but honestly i will probably talk about swapping a 22re, but never do it unless i have major engine complications, and it would be cheaper to swap a 22re rather then rebuild the 3vz
i hear you on swaping parts back and fourth, i did tht when try to get one of mine to pass smog
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 PM

^^oh yah i know thats a pita!! i bet its 10x easier to have a second running truck you can swap parts on to find out whats broken, rather then running to the parts store 20x a day
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 PM

its very helpful
Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM

alright so heres the deal

havnt been updating this thread for a while, due to me being too tired after im done working to do anything else but sleep...but here we go, these are from 2-3 days ago...

pulled my truck into the garage, turned out the lights, and figured out qich ones worked and wich ones didnt ( i actually had to make a list...i thought i could keep track in my head, but there was so many lights i kept foegetting wich ones worked and wich ones didnt)

heres my list (the two lreverse lights i pulled out a few days ago...they pretty much rotted away)

well then after that, i pulled out the bulbs that didnt work, checked the fuses, and pulled out the meter....

it turns out theres no power to the light sockets

went to the back of the bed to trace the wires and found the culprit...now i have to re-wire the bed...wich is a MAJOR PITA

Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 AM

in the meantime, i took care of my "click but no start problem" and put the light fiasco aside untull i pick up some new bulbs...thankfully my basic lights work (turn signals, brake lights, headlights, 4-ways) and its just the "accesory" lights that quit...

pulled off the wheel and tire to gain acess to the starter...

...told you my 3vze leaked like a sieve (thats supposed to by my starter)

so after i got that all taken care of i cut off the old bumper brackets, in hopes to bolt square steel tube to my frame and attach d-shackels as recovery/towing points

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM

so here comes the fun stuff!!

im sure you all remeber that infamous front valance...well if you dont here it is

i got around to trimming that the other day, but first i pulled off the corner bumber bracket things that were rubbing on the tire

(yeah these things^^...and any toyota enthusaist will notice the gastank skidplate off my 1985 on the trashcan in the background)

got the valance off...i kinda like the look of the truck without it on...

so anyway, got out some 2x4's to help bend the valance back into place

then after i got them kinda straight, i trimmed my valance...i was going to make templates to be sure it was even on both sides, but i kind of eye-balled it...it wouldnt be a true mesurment anyway because the valance was still alittle bent

here it is all trimmed...after that i sanded out all the rust spots, and scuffed the rest of it, getting it rady to paint (thats why its all "zebra-ish" looking in the pics)

put the valance back on...ehh, i didnt really like it...

after i shut the hood though, it was a whole different look

looks pretty good, PLUS the tires rub aloootttt less, and i can turn alot sharper!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey man, GOOD JOB, and pretty cool idea! Keep at it, 85!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Dude just take the valence off.
You'll never want it back, anyways.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM

your truck is almost dented in the same spot as mine haha
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 AM

i kinda do like the look of the truck with the trimmed valance, im willing to run trimmed or no valance it doesnt matter to me, i just like the frame part with the holes to be covered up for now because mine is a little rusty...

but anyway, i got some new bulbs, im working on re-wiring some spots of the bed now to get my side lights and reverse lights to work...

i picked up some ammo cans and im probablygoing to mount them today in my bed to throw all my shackles and straps and snatch blocks etc. in there
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sweet! Every rational man LOVES STORAGE! lol.

Glad you got a good project, man!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 PM

thanks chef! i think i might post this in the cheap mod thread when i get pics, the ammo cans were $10 ea. and they are in spectacular shape, i got 8 carrage bolts and washers for free from my buddy who works at the local hardware store (Thanks bill!) and filing square holes in the bottom and mounting the cans was free labor!! i had the locknuts laying around too so they count as free too, right?

today i got all kindsa bulbs and fuses, 2 rolls of electrical tape, and the lights i need for my bed from a buddy of mine who i farm with in the summer

i wired and spliced the new lights in thinking it could possibly be a ground problem since the light sockets were a little bit rusty, but they still didnt work so i guess i have to do a little re-wiring

Last edited by 85gijunk4x4; 04-15-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
That's a nice look. Keep at it!

Last edited by streetlancer; 04-16-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by streetlancer
That's a nice look. Keep at it!
thanks man, im sure it will look even better once i get it painted, its going to be black most likely because im blacking out all the chrome and painting the truck o.d green with all black trim
Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 PM

anything new?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:10 PM

well awhile ago, the beggining of this month pretty much. i pulled off my shift boots, cleaned them up, and painted the little metal thing that holds them on, and cut off the trim brackets and made some rubber gap guards.

(sorry, no pics of the process )

i drove it around like this for a little bit, and kinda got sick of how ugly it looked. you can tell the guy spilled all kinds of stuff on it, because its rusty on that one side, and the way the carpet it stained.

you can see here the two brackets that held that stupid trim peice on, i got tired of them too so i cut them out. heres the finished product (pretty bad pics, i know)

Old 05-30-2011, 04:14 PM

in the meantime i mounted a cb in there too!

Before:

After:

yeahh, still gotta get around to puttin in a stereo.

Quick Reply: 85gijunk4x4's 1988 pickup buildup thread (Angus)