86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1988 4x4 truck 22re back to new

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 06:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
1988 4x4 truck 22re back to new

Hi, I bought a truck about 28 years ago. It spent most of its life as my daily driver. Got married, had two kids a couple of dogs and some cats in the mean time. It is time to put some time and money into my old friend. This is totally a sentimental thing I have with my truck. I kind of remember paying about $5,000 for it. I may be suffering from middle age but as I remember it, I got a steal because this thing was cherry. I'm a little buzzed right now and it is night in Montana, so I will figure out pictures in the morning. I taught my wife and kids how to drive a clutch in it. Gas was around $1/gallon or somewhere near that when I first filled the tank (or put in what I could with what I had in my holy jeans at the time). I change the oil every 2,000 miles. The guy I bought it from used castrol and said he bought five quarts each time he changed it just so he could pour an extra quart through to clear everything out of the bottom of the oil pan with a sacrificial flush. I think oil may have been less than a $1/quart at the time. Seemed like a great idea so I carried on the tradition. I replaced the clutch about 3 years ago with the help of my son and my brother which is a story in itself.

By this time you are realizing that I came by my handle honestly.

It has about 210,000 miles on it and is in ok shape. My son drove it back and forth to college about 100 miles each way for about two years now. I gave him my 2005 Tacoma so I have the 88 back. I want to make it look like it did when it came off the line. No lift, no crawler modifications just a pretty, reliable truck with another 200,000 miles in it. It is leaking from everywhere, front, back and middle. Steering, differential and ride are all stiff and showing how old the truck and its parts are. If you have ever seen a movie called It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World from the 60's, it kind of drives like some of those cars by the end of the show. I think it would still run for another forever as is but I would like to rejuvenate her a bit. Basically I want to pretend I'm 24 again and buying it brand new. Like I said, this is totally sentimental. Please don't tell me how I could get the same thing for half the price or that it is never going to be worth what I put into it. I'm old, I drink and I do stupid things. Normally not a problem but now I have enough money to be dangerous.

I will have a bit more time come summer when above freezing is a thing. I want to do as much as possible myself.
I need help with logistics and a quality parts source.

Things I think have priority:
(please feel free to disagree if you have another opinion)

Leaks - seal everything that has fluid, oil etc . I was going to make a list but realized it's everything. Everything that makes it drive and keeps it cool from front to back leaks. I have talked to a local Toyota guy where I live and his guidance seems promising. It's just a matter of how deep down the hole I want to go. I am very enthusiastic today sitting in the warmth of my home in front of my computer with clean hands and scab free knuckles. Same guy that at one time thought shoveling dog ˟˟˟˟ out of my back yard was the price you pay for having a furry companion. Good thing the wife and kids are relatively maintenance free.
Injectors - rebuilt or new?
With the repair of the leaks, I can't see any reason not to pull the engine and transmission, replace everything from top to bottom and front to back that I can. While I have everything off, I would like to clean and paint everything to look pretty and to rust proof.
Leaf springs and shocks
Any line be it electrical, hydraulic or fuel related that needs attention. If I'm taking the trouble to go to New Orleans, I'm going to want to take some time to eat some food, listen to some music and throw some beads right?
Front end - everything that makes it steer and keeps it from bouncing off the road including hub maintenance.
New tires
New window regulators. It is a bear to roll the windows up and down as is and with no AC... besides, embarrassing to roll up to Dairy Queen and have to open the door instead of roll the window down to hand the pretty girl 5$ for a milkshake in a car that is older then her parents.

Things I would like but could wait if necessary.

Bed wtf Toyota - I talked to Corey in Canada probably 7 years ago and the full fiberglass seems like the best option to me. I have heard nothing but good things from his customers. Until then, flatbed or rust.
Paint - not a thing at this point except for engine bay and frame if I pull everything out.
Disc instead of drum only because of the ease of pad replacement and maintenance.
Paint the rusty wheels
Dash - again, wtf Toyota?
Cosmetics - clean the interior including new carpet
Badging, original stickers, shifter stuff etc.
My dad reupholstered the seats about 20 years ago so probably about time. They are non Toyota buckets but I like them.

Thank you for indulging me. I am in no hurry. In fact, the longer this takes the better. I want to do it right and I want to have fun doing it. The end goal is to have something fun to ride around whether pulling up to the local brewhouse or spending quality time bouncing across the continental divide.
Did I tell you my handle is windbag?
I appreciate you taking the time and your counsel.
Thanks
windbag
Old 02-23-2021, 03:51 AM

Received 606 Likes on 428 Posts
Looking forward to seeing photos but it sounds like a good plan!
Old 02-23-2021, 06:01 AM

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts
Good story. Nobody on this forum is going to tell you the truck is too old and not worth it! Let's see some pictures.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:28 AM

The family calls her Rusty.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Oops, just realized I put this in the 84-85 section. How do I change that?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Good story, and nice looking truck to start your resto!

Welcome to Yotatech!
Old 02-23-2021, 01:36 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by windbag
Oops, just realized I put this in the 84-85 section. How do I change that?
Thanks
The mods will fix it for you.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:26 PM

Can I pull the transmission and motor together? I only ask because the bolts holding the bell housing to the motor are a pain and I think I will need some work done on the transmission and the differential. Is it better (or even possible) to get everything at once through the hood or am I going to have to fight those two bolts?.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:42 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Welcome!

Rusty doesn't look that bad.

embarrassing to roll up to Dairy Queen and have to open the door instead of roll the window down to hand the pretty girl 5$ for a milkshake in a car that is older then her parents.
Roll the manual windows up and down is good, less electric parts to worry about.

Can I pull the transmission and motor together?
I believe I saw a post about it, but you will need a garage with high ceiling.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:23 PM

Can I do this?
Love Dad.

Last edited by windbag; 03-13-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:54 AM

Can I pull the transmission and motor together? I only ask because the bolts holding the bell housing to the motor are a pain and I think I will need some work done on the transmission and the differential. Is it better (or even possible) to get everything at once through the hood or am I going to have to fight those two bolts?.
that's how it is suggested in the FSM. I did it with the transmission staying in. Them bolts are tuff to get at the top like you said but doable with extensions and u joints. I've dealt with it on 3 different Yotas now. Some say partially remove the transmission and tilt it to get better access to them bolts but in your case I would try pulling both. There is a video on YouTube. I think it was by 22RE performance. Do your self a favor and disconnect the wiring from under the dashboard and pull it through the fire wall as apossed to unplugging everything. I liked that udea.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:30 PM

What about taking the cab off?
Any suggestions on preferred method,
1. engine from top, transmission/transfer case from below, leave the cab
2. engine and transmission from the top
3. pull the bed and cab and take the drive train and engine free and clear

The motor is in ok shape but is leaking everywhere. I have a guy in town that does 22Re stuff. I want it and the bay to look pretty so am kind of defaulting to an engine pull. Any suggestions for a rookie? I am not afraid and am ok with false starts. I would of course like to avoid multiple pains in the ass but also have time. I want to clean and paint nearly everything so need to touch everything. I guess I am kind of answering myself but if anyone has experience and suggestions I would love it.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 04:48 AM

Received 839 Likes on 562 Posts
Seems like a great project because it’s all there, running and known history. I’d make list, get started with some confidence builders like the window regulators and just put in a little time each night even if it’s only an hour or you just accomplish some small task. It’s fun this way.
Then it comes down to what your resources are- do you have a place to work, engine crane, will you have any help? Etc. Any vehicle taken apart expands to fill the volume of the space. I would not pull the cab, but that’s me. Work smarter, not harder, enjoy the project!
Old 02-26-2021, 06:28 AM

Thanks Melrose

Thanks for the advice. I kind of have a list and a garage. I can see multiple tool purchases in my future. What about parts? I have a local Oreilly's that has treated me right in the past but live in town of about 50,000 in Montana. All the Toyotas around here are on the road, not in the junk yard. Is there a preferred parts supplier? I am handy but by no means a mechanic. My most adventurous fixes have been replacing the front seal and the clutch. It wasn't pretty, but both have held. There is no hurry at this point to get it going. I think I am going to enjoy the trip more than the destination but that is what I say today. I might be throwing wrenches at small dogs in no time.

Is there a preferred way to move this to the proper section? I have sent "contact us" messages twice now.
Thanks for the post. I am a fan of this site and the folks on it.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:27 PM

Yeah don't over think it, the right way to do a total restoration would be to take the cab off but it can get overwhelming and that's when some people give up. I wouldn't take it down to that point myself ether.

parts: my top two places are 22RE performance and LC Engineering. 22RE performance is the place to get the engine gasket set. I did that and it came with things I didn't even think of or know of. I even replaced the seal to the oil filler cap once I realized what that seal in the kit was. E bay and Facebook market place also .
Old 02-27-2021, 08:04 AM

Thank you Damion.
I'm afraid it's too late for the overthinking thing. I can't help it. There are benefits in owning the truck for so long but also some drawbacks. I have already done about a thousand things to it in my mind. It's a sickness that I have accepted.

I have looked at the 22RE Performance site. It sounds like they have quality stuff with great customer service. I have thought a few times of just ordering up one of their engines but the time out keeps getting longer and longer. I will go take a look at LCE.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:00 PM

Received 572 Likes on 451 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I kind of have a list and a garage. I can see multiple tool purchases in my future. What about parts? I have a local Oreilly's that has treated me right in the past but live in town of about 50,000 in Montana. All the Toyotas around here are on the road, not in the junk yard. Is there a preferred parts supplier? I am handy but by no means a mechanic. My most adventurous fixes have been replacing the front seal and the clutch. It wasn't pretty, but both have held. There is no hurry at this point to get it going. I think I am going to enjoy the trip more than the destination but that is what I say today. I might be throwing wrenches at small dogs in no time.

Is there a preferred way to move this to the proper section? I have sent "contact us" messages twice now.
Thanks for the post. I am a fan of this site and the folks on it.
I prefer OEM Toyota Parts for most things, but it does come with a cost. For engine related parts, I also buy from 22RE Performance. Quality parts and great attention to detail. They have such a backlog of engine rebuilds right now that they stopped taking orders until they can get caught up.

I am not sure if the "contact us" page works or not.

You can Private Message moderator @dropzone to move your thread to the correct section.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I just got done pulling the two together (including the transfer case). I've pulled just the motor before after separating the trans in the truck (those bolts suck!) And after having done it both ways, I'd probably still do them separate.

If you pull them together, you really do need a tall ceiling above the hood, and you need a long arm picker or a big movable gantry. The harbor freight 2-ton picker set to the half ton setting (longest travel) with the smallest chain I could get to pick it out just barely cleared my fenders (I had to manually pick up the t-case to get it over the rail. If you had an overhead crane or something, it may be easiest to pull them together that way, but I struggled a bit for sure. You will need to drop the sway bar up front even though it looks like it may fit. So go ahead and do that first, lol
Old 03-01-2021, 08:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you Damion.
I'm afraid it's too late for the overthinking thing. I can't help it. There are benefits in owning the truck for so long but also some drawbacks. I have already done about a thousand things to it in my mind. It's a sickness that I have accepted.

I have looked at the 22RE Performance site. It sounds like they have quality stuff with great customer service. I have thought a few times of just ordering up one of their engines but the time out keeps getting longer and longer. I will go take a look at LCE.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
I went through the same thing, (truck is in literal pieces still doing half of the restore) and the engine from 22RE would have been here months ago. Also, the engine swap itself is going to take you 2-3 days, so if you do all the rest of the resto, and your engine isn't here, you could slap your old one back in and then swap the 22RE in when it arrives. In my own experience, trying to think of "do it all right now while I have it apart" is a great idea for someone who can make the resto a full time job, but the rest of us should really tackle one project at a time, even if it takes longer overall. At least it keeps the truck driveable.

Also, quick extra plug for the customer service from 22RE. Every time I called they were happy and willing (if not a bit blunt) about how to keep moving forward on my engine projects
Old 03-03-2021, 06:23 AM

Thanks Old. I will give it a shot.

Thanks Neemox. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward taking them separately. I have a shop with a tall ceiling available but am just going do them separate (today anyway). I have time and want to do it right so will try not to rush. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Quick Reply: 1988 4x4 truck 22re back to new