84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Fink's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Ratchet"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Fink-
very nice! now all you need to do in convert to high steer to get rid of the stone age push pull

~Robb
Yes, that is the next big thing on my list but right now I am broke.
It steers very well for what it is, especially after Brian fixed the steering - it's a whole new rig.

It's at Toyota getting the water pump replaced and getting the brakes fixed once and for all since it still pulls violently to the right.
I wish I could have been in the rig when they drove it and felt how bad it pulled - not to mention the driveline vibration after the lift.

I'm looking for a double-cardan joint for my rear drive-shaft or the whole front drive-shaft from a 79-85 truck if anybody has one.

Fink
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Starting to look good Fink. Keep up the good work.

I've got an IFS front dual cardan drive shaft. If you think it will work, you're welcome to it.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Starting to look good Fink. Keep up the good work.

I've got an IFS front dual cardan drive shaft. If you think it will work, you're welcome to it.
What's it off of?

Fink
Old 09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

86 4Runner.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Looking good bud!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ADH8796
Looking good bud!
Thanks dude!
She's a little taller than I was expecting but I can tell it's already starting to settle a little.

We'll see how she is after a few hundred miles.

Fink
Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 PM

feels intimidating..!
it looks like a gator skin all over!

i had the impression OME dakar springs are jsut about 2" height..
it seem a little bit taller for 2"...i like that. how's the ride?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xyzalvarez
feels intimidating..!
it looks like a gator skin all over!

i had the impression OME dakar springs are jsut about 2" height..
it seem a little bit taller for 2"...i like that. how's the ride?
Well I think the reason it looks so raised is because the stock suspension was so shot and with the fenders are chopped so much.
They should settle at least another 1/2" or so.

If they don't I might be ditching the 35's and going back to the 37's.

Fink
Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 PM

4x4fink:

If a 2" lift from OME will clear 33" tires...im down with it. i just want to get rid of the mickey mouse lift i have now

you're my truck role model to follow ! ... nice stance, good lift , good parts...

i must ask some few questions if you dont mind.

1) i noticed that the rear springs didn't require relocation of the hangers, why do you had to cut and relocate the front spring hanger?
the OME front springs are longer or because it had been modified before and you welded it back to the original place ?

2) what lenght of new shackles are you using? stock 3.5" shackles?
is possible to use TG or MC greasable shackles with the OME springs to increase the height ...right?

3) are you using the stock/light load or the heavy load springs?
do you mind to share the part # of the front and rear springs your're using? just to be sure what to order...

4) did you use any shims for the rear springs or spring perch rotation for this setup ?

i want to get down from a 7" superlift lift to a 3-4" lift , ( using longer shackles to clear the 33" tires )
using a reliable parts, and looking at your 4runner and how it sits, it makes more sense to me to follow this setup... i have a 85 xtra cab truck.

after reading & seaching for the last three weeks, and almost buying a crawler setup this last friday, im glad i stompped into your thread and find this setup...

its going to be my daily and i need some hauling capabilities too..

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...lol

JC
Old 09-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

UPDATE

I ordered two rebuilt calipers from Toyota today.

I had both Toyota and Midas look at the truck and it appears there is still an issue with the brakes....somewhere.

Toyota kept coming up with excuses about maybe the axle is still crooked and it's because of the lift.
That's bull and we all know it.

Midas drove it and spent a few hours looking at it and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
We got it up on the lift and spun the tires and then applied the brakes and both wheels stopped and then released as soon as we let go of the pedal.
Granted, that isn't a good way of telling whether the calipers are grabbing real hard just that they're not sticking.

We also though it might be the LSPBV but after talking to Toyota, that wouldn't effect side-to-side braking up front - it just effects front to rear.
They said the only way it would cause a problem like I'm having is if there was a clog somewhere but there isn't since the brake fluid is flowing strong at all 4 corners.

The rebuilt calipers are cheap so I went ahead and ordered two - if this solves my problem they will get me by until i bite the bullet and do the V6 swap.
Hopefully I'll be able to do that the same time I'm able to high steer and be done with it all.

Going to order a double cardan joint from YotaYard on Monday or Tuesday and have a local shop put it on as soon as it comes in.
That will solve the driveline vibration due to the rear pinion angle.

Other than that vibration when accelerating the ride is amazingly smooth - it's actually enjoyable to drive now.

I think I'm also going to hit up a junk yard this week and look for some 2nd gen seats - the ones in there now are nasty and are getting on my nerves.

If anybody has some thoughts about the pulling when braking please post up, I can use all the opinions/suggestions I can get - I'm still stumped.

Fink
Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

4x4fink:

If a 2" lift from OME will clear 33" tires...im down with it. i just want to get rid of the mickey mouse lift i have now

you're my truck role model to follow ! ... nice stance, good lift , good parts...

i must ask some few questions if you dont mind.

1) i noticed that the rear springs didn't require relocation of the hangers, why do you had to cut and relocate the front spring hanger?
the OME front springs are longer or because it had been modified before and you welded it back to the original place ?

2) what lenght of new shackles are you using? stock 3.5" shackles?
is possible to use TG or MC greasable shackles with the OME springs to increase the height ...right?

3) are you using the stock/light load or the heavy load springs?
do you mind to share the part # of the front and rear springs your're using? just to be sure what to order...

4) did you use any shims for the rear springs or spring perch rotation for this setup ?

i want to get down from a 7" superlift lift to a 3-4" lift , ( using longer shackles to clear the 33" tires )
using a reliable parts, and looking at your 4runner and how it sits, it makes more sense to me to follow this setup... i have a 85 xtra cab truck.

after reading & seaching for the last three weeks, and almost buying a crawler setup this last friday, im glad i stompped into your thread and find this setup...

its going to be my daily and i need some hauling capabilities too..

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...lol

JC
I'm going to work in a little bit but I will PM you and answer your questions when I get off in the morning.
I don't want to clutter this thread up with it.

Fink
Old 09-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
UPDATE
Toyota kept coming up with excuses about maybe the axle is still crooked and it's because of the lift.
That's bull and we all know it.

Fink
Crooked. No. Lift. No. Find a new mechanic.

When did the truck start pulling to the right like it does?

Did it do this before the new MC?

I still say the left caliper isn't actuating correctly.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Crooked. No. Lift. No. Find a new mechanic.

When did the truck start pulling to the right like it does?

Did it do this before the new MC?

I still say the left caliper isn't actuating correctly.

It pulled back when Anthony had it but he doesn't remember it being as bad as it is.
The whole reason I even had the Runner at Toyota was to get the brakes fixed - when it was there they said the MC was bad so that's what I ordered it from you.

Yeah, I think there is something up with the caliper(s) - thus why I ordered two rebuilt ones.
Worst case scenario I'm out $100 and narrowed the problem down some more.

It has to be a braking issue, obviously - since it ONLY pulls when I hit the brakes and tracks straight the rest of the time.
The only other thing I can think of is something with the steering linkage but it is all tight and even better off now than it was now that we sleeved that rod.

Fink
Old 09-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

Save your receipts and when it gets fixed...I'd go get a refund from the retard tech at Toyota...measuring the axle from the firewall.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah - the work needed to be done.
The pads fell apart when they took them off they were so thin and they were completely rusted and jacked up.

But I always keep all my receipts for work on my rigs.
I just don't want to piss them off since I've been using them for 8 years now and I do trust them to do all the work.

On a positive note - new water pump = no more leaky.

Fink
Old 09-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
On a positive note - new water pump = no more leaky.

Fink
Accentuate the positive for sure. Looks much better, drives much better, rides much better...no more leaky...brakes will still put you in the ditch. Could be much worse and they could pull hard LEFT!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Accentuate the positive for sure. Looks much better, drives much better, rides much better...no more leaky...brakes will still put you in the ditch. Could be much worse and they could pull hard LEFT!

Right and let's be honest...after calipers and maybe the LSPBV...what else could it freakin' be??
If the calipers don't do it I may just see if I can swing the V6 swap - then everything will have been replaced and if it still pulls...I'll breakout the BFH.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 09-05-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM

dont know if its going to help..
but when i replaced the front calipers, tie rods on my datsun, I lost the steering linkage adjustment...based that its a gear box car...when i was driving , the car ran straight...only when i brake, it shifted to the sides...

what i did was just getting an alignment...
double check the psi on the tires...maybe just a litlle bit off in these trucks it will cause it to lean. it happen to me before.

or double check and bleed the brake fluid again..maybe theres an air gap in the line.

just .02 cents.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

dont know if its going to help..
but when i replaced the front calipers, tie rods on my datsun, I lost the steering linkage adjustment...based that its a gear box car...when i was driving , the car ran straight...only when i brake, it shifted to the sides...

what i did was just getting an alignment...
double check the psi on the tires...maybe just a litlle bit off in these trucks it will cause it to lean. it happen to me before.

or double check and bleed the brake fluid again..maybe theres an air gap in the line.

just .02 cents.
I'll be getting an alignment in the next 100 miles or so after the suspension has been on for a while.
Might even wait another 200 - we'll see.

I doubt the alignment is the issue simply because it doesn't pull while driving down the road unless the brakes are applied.
I mean, it might have a slight pull to the right but most roads are angled so that water drains off so it's hard to tell if it's the road or the truck.

I'm really hoping it's as simple as just replacing the calipers.
My guess is the left one is just so rusted and worn that it will grab while it's in the shop on the lift but as soon as you put the weight of the Runner on it it gives out or just can't keep up with the right one.

At least with getting two rebuilt ones there should be less of a chance for one to be gripping hard than the other.

We'll see.

Thanks for the advice though,

Fink
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Mine stops so much better with the V-6 stuff up front. Now I need to find the calipers for my rear disc brake conversion or throw in my 88 rear end, atleast it would have bigger rear drums.

Hope you get this thing licked...gremlins are a PITA..

OT: any bites on the Tacoma?

Quick Reply: Fink's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Ratchet"