84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

'85 Yotas Yota! (Lil Red)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Nice man. Look forward to seeing it. Hey btw are you planning to carpet the exterior of it or something?
I really want to! Since now, some of the bondo is cracking from the plywood flexing/getting wet and stuff. Plus since its black, its really hot on my elbow when, and if its nice here.

Just worked out a deal on a local Facebook forum, to trade my headache rack that cost my basically $10 to build, for an IFS steering box! Great deal. Time to start saving for parts!! Cant wait to finally get my truck started.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM

Not a bad deal. Your steering box is broken? Good luck replacing it. I did mine and boy was it a pain in the ass. Dony get me wrong its a really easy job. Its just that I have limited space due to the 3vze and my work space was really cramped. I'm sure on smaller 22r and 22re motors the install will be cake.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:28 PM

Not a bad deal. Your steering box is broken? Good luck replacing it. I did mine and boy was it a pain in the ass. Dony get me wrong its a really easy job. Its just that I have limited space due to the 3vze and my work space was really cramped. I'm sure on smaller 22r and 22re motors the install will be cake.
Nope getting an IFS box fo HiSteer, since I have stock push pull steering.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM

Oh your rig didn't come with power steering?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:57 PM

Oh your rig didn't come with power steering?
It has power steering. Mine is a 85 (factory straight axle) , so it has push pull steering (stupid design). It doesnt have Hi Steer like you ifs to sas guys.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Oh dude you buy that separate. You need to buy high steer arms and bars for that. My axle also had the set up youre talking about.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey 85 Yota, been keeping tabs on ur thread for awhile, wish I coulda had a Toyota back in high school lol. My younger bro did, an 87. But I got stuck with a hand-me-down olds delta 88, I hated that car. Loos like ur having tons of fun with it at least and scoring some great deals. Good catch with the leaf spring pin being broken. Coulda made for a nasty accident. Is the ifs the only thing u have for ur hy steer so far? I got lucky and have an 87 parts truck that I'm basically stripping all the good parts off of. Gonna use the ifs box for my hy steer, already swapped in the wider ifs rear axle, and I'm gonna swap the ifs hubs over to my solid axle so I don't have to run wheel spacers. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 PM

Oh dude you buy that separate. You need to buy high steer arms and bars for that. My axle also had the set up youre talking about.
I know i know, I'll buy a hi steer kit from a local fab shop. They basically beat anyones prices, so it will probably be around $250ish for the kit. And then once I have everything, Ill mount it up when I do RUF, so I know where to place my box and all that.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 85sr5excab
Hey 85 Yota, been keeping tabs on ur thread for awhile, wish I coulda had a Toyota back in high school lol. My younger bro did, an 87. But I got stuck with a hand-me-down olds delta 88, I hated that car. Loos like ur having tons of fun with it at least and scoring some great deals. Good catch with the leaf spring pin being broken. Coulda made for a nasty accident. Is the ifs the only thing u have for ur hy steer so far? I got lucky and have an 87 parts truck that I'm basically stripping all the good parts off of. Gonna use the ifs box for my hy steer, already swapped in the wider ifs rear axle, and I'm gonna swap the ifs hubs over to my solid axle so I don't have to run wheel spacers. Keep up the good work!
Actually havent got the box yet, since the guy I made the deal with ''was busy'' today. Hopefully Ill find a good deal on one, even if the box needs to be rebuilt. Which my friend Austin (Young Guy) know how to rebuild them. Im just going to start saving up for everything right now basically. So Chevy 63 rears, hangers for them and RUF, Hi Steer, drivelines, brakelines, gears, lockers, tires... the list goes on!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM

Lol 10-4. I know how that goes. If I do this then I have to do that.....if I buy this then I may as well do it right and buy that too lol. I'd suggest new spring perches for ur Chevy swap that way u can rotate the pinion up and save ur u-joints.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM

^ i Second that. i wished i woulda....
Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Lol 10-4. I know how that goes. If I do this then I have to do that.....if I buy this then I may as well do it right and buy that too lol. I'd suggest new spring perches for ur Chevy swap that way u can rotate the pinion up and save ur u-joints.
Thanks for the advice! I think the guy Im getting the box from actually has new trail gear perches hes selling...
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM

Well actually, my pinion points basically right at the transfercase right now stock, because I have a 2 piece driveshaft.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by '85 Yota
Well actually, my pinion points basically right at the transfercase right now stock, because I have a 2 piece driveshaft.
Ya mine was fine too til I put the ford springs in. Because u move the spring hanger forward its lower on the frame which in turn rotates the front of the pinion down. I have a 2 piece driveshaft too and my u-joint at the pinion was about maxed out til I changed rearends and perches.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 PM

Ya mine was fine too til I put the ford springs in. Because u move the spring hanger forward its lower on the frame which in turn rotates the front of the pinion down. I have a 2 piece driveshaft too and my u-joint at the pinion was about maxed out til I changed rearends and perches.
I see I see. Well, did some mexican work today for an old lady, to make more $. I cannot wait to get my truck started! Really not sure if I want to do chevys or ford leafs. Ive seen them both do awesome, but I dont wanna be to lifted. Id rather be low and slow
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by '85 Yota
I see I see. Well, did some mexican work today for an old lady, to make more $. I cannot wait to get my truck started! Really not sure if I want to do chevys or ford leafs. Ive seen them both do awesome, but I dont wanna be to lifted. Id rather be low and slow
Nothing wrong with some extra cash lol. If u get too much, send some my way. If u ever plan to bob ur bed then I would suggest ford springs but if not then I think chevies are the way to go. As far as keeping it low I was actually thinking about that today. It would prolly be best to get low profile front hangers or French them into the frame. And for the rear I'd be curious to see if u could use spring sliders instead of shackles. I know some race cars use them.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Nothing wrong with some extra cash lol. If u get too much, send some my way. If u ever plan to bob ur bed then I would suggest ford springs but if not then I think chevies are the way to go. As far as keeping it low I was actually thinking about that today. It would prolly be best to get low profile front hangers or French them into the frame. And for the rear I'd be curious to see if u could use spring sliders instead of shackles. I know some race cars use them.
I really want to just save up for 35s and 5.29s, but that would be more $ and more time! Id love to have 35s, and 3-4 inches of lift. I think Ill do chebbys and then flatbed my truck.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Going to get the IFS box today FINALLY. Im going to miss my headache rack!!! I love the way it looks on my truck.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Well, Austin (Young Guy) and I decided to randomly bob my bed at his house. We started at 7pm, cut 13.5 inches off, they mocked the bed up. Then he cuts his finger with the angle grinder somehow at 9pm He got 3 cute stiches! So we woke up 9am this morning, welded the bed back together. Then I slapped some bondo on real quick and sanded it in like 10 minutes lol. I did it fast, because I had to get to work. Ill finish up the bondoing tomorrow morning! It looks a little goofy with my teeny street tires
[IMG][/IMG]
We found some spray paint at home depot that is about the exact color as the factory red.

Last edited by '85 Yota; 08-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM

Nice work bobbing the bed. I woulda been all over that with my truck if the bed had been salvageable. Now it's time u put some big boy tires back on it lol.

Quick Reply: '85 Yotas Yota! (Lil Red)