84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

84 Extra Cab build

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gizler00
From the looks of your pictures it doesn't look like you would need a Drop drag link for your truck with the OME springs. But.....I have my old one if you want it. I would just send it to you for nothing.

It needs cleaned up but works.

Just a thought. I did a build for a friend and used 2" NWOR springs and used a similar drop steering link.

Let me know if you would be interested and I can send you some pics.
Thanks Gizler, my stock drag arm is good, haven't ran into any issues yet. They advertise with the OME leafs that everything can remain stock on the suspension, and it seems that is true. I appreciate the offer tho!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J.yota
Thanks Gizler, my stock drag arm is good, haven't ran into any issues yet. They advertise with the OME leafs that everything can remain stock on the suspension, and it seems that is true. I appreciate the offer tho!
No Problem. If you change your mind, Let me know. Its yours for nothing.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 PM

No Problem. If you change your mind, Let me know. Its yours for nothing.
I saw on your build thread you did a high steer conversion on your runner. I'm contemplating doing the same, but you stated the steering was very "sensitive" and you weren't sure if you liked it. Would you recommend it? Is the new steering feel just something you have to get used to? Or is kinda dangerous on the street? Appreciate you thoughts here!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by J.yota
I saw on your build thread you did a high steer conversion on your runner. I'm contemplating doing the same, but you stated the steering was very "sensitive" and you weren't sure if you liked it. Would you recommend it? Is the new steering feel just something you have to get used to? Or is kinda dangerous on the street? Appreciate you thoughts here!

Guess I should have been more clear when I made that post.

I LOVE IT, but I was so used to the old clapped out push and pull steering that I was having a weird time getting acclimated to the new setup.

It's very responsive, no torque steer when braking, and it literally is so smooth it's insane.

Very much a huge improvement over the old setup. I definitely recommend it.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:35 PM

Guess I should have been more clear when I made that post.

I LOVE IT, but I was so used to the old clapped out push and pull steering that I was having a weird time getting acclimated to the new setup.

It's very responsive, no torque steer when braking, and it literally is so smooth it's insane.

Very much a huge improvement over the old setup. I definitely recommend it.
Ok, I think I may order the parts and go for it. The push pull steering has never really bothered me, but I plan to get a little more aggressive wheeling this truck. Having the front/rear diffs built up really increased the capabilities of the truck. I'm having to much fun now and worried I might break something on my steering!
Old 12-09-2015, 07:49 PM

This is kinda off topic but this was my 1986 pickup I had before the 84 I'm building now.

Last edited by J.yota; 01-16-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 PM

Holy cow!!!!!!!!!! That thing is CLEAN!! I mean that is crazy clean!! I love it.

I think the high steer is a much needed improvement over the push and pull.

If you look at the stock steering, outside of the gear box, it has to through the pitman arm-> drag link-> J-arm-> then finally to the tie-rod.

With the high steer, it's goes....pitman arm right to the pan hard(drag link) that's connected to the steering arm.

I never imagined the steering would be so responsive.

The one thing I hated about the push and pull was how the steering would pull to the right under heavy braking. Things would get scary in a panic stop situation.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 PM

Holy cow!!!!!!!!!! That thing is CLEAN!! I mean that is crazy clean!! I love it.

I think the high steer is a much needed improvement over the push and pull.

If you look at the stock steering, outside of the gear box, it has to through the pitman arm-> drag link-> J-arm-> then finally to the tie-rod.

With the high steer, it's goes....pitman arm right to the pan hard(drag link) that's connected to the steering arm.

I never imagined the steering would be so responsive.

The one thing I hated about the push and pull was how the steering would pull to the right under heavy braking. Things would get scary in a panic stop situation.
Your motivating me to try high steer. I'm liking how yours turned out, nice welds by the way. I haven't had much pull issues under hard braking, but all my trucks "solid axle ones" have always had the torque rod left in place. I think a lot of people remove the factory torque rod for more flex, but obviously that would result in poor brake performance/pulling. Time to start looking at high steer parts anyways. I just got my 4.7 crawler transfer case by trail gear today. Really stoked to get her installed, and give it a test. I'll post some pics of that process soon.

And thanks, the 86 was a clean truck. Just wasn't for me after driving it for a while. The guy that bought it sure was happy tho
Old 12-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Oh my! 4.7's!!!!!! I want those so badly or dual cases.

I'm not sure what the issue was with my old steering. I had the torque rod in there and it would pull you into the ditch if you had to brake hard and fast.

I read a few other threads where people had similar experiences.

Maybe mine was just that clapped out and beaten down.

I really am liking the tight feel and very responsive steering benefits from it so far.

I need to get it out on the trails and see how it does.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
At first, thought that 86 was the 84..haha
I'm with you on the clean interior. I originally had an 84 extra cab just like yours and the dash had a thousand cracks and overall wasn't in great shape. Sold it and bought a first gen 4runner and said I have to find a clean one. Overall love your setup!

Oh btw did you paint the interior pieces as well?

Last edited by 84 yota dude; 12-10-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
At first, thought that 86 was the 84..haha
I'm with you on the clean interior. I originally had an 84 extra cab just like yours and the dash had a thousand cracks and overall wasn't in great shape. Sold it and bought a first gen 4runner and said I have to find a clean one. Overall love your setup!

Oh btw did you paint the interior pieces as well?
Thanks man, yeah I painted a few small pieces of trim. Mainly the ones near the floor as they get scuffed up. There's a product called SEM interior dye. Its used to bring faded/scratched plastics back to they're original color. You can buy it on ebay, or most auto body paint supply stores. Its expensive but wont wear off or fade.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:57 PM

Well the latest update is my 4.7 trailgear transfecase came

Last edited by J.yota; 01-16-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
10/4 on the sem trim paint, good stuff. Looks like you definitely know what your doing when painting.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:51 PM

Looking good man. Really inspiring me to make the jump and start using the HVLP gun I got a few years back and put an actual paint job on stuff!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:12 AM

Looking good man. Really inspiring me to make the jump and start using the HVLP gun I got a few years back and put an actual paint job on stuff!
Yeah it really isn't that hard to use quality paints, and lasts/looks way better than rattle can. The main reason I use it because its gas and oil resistant. Every time I rattle can something and get a little gas or oil on it, its ruined.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like those rims that you are running. What type of rims are those? And what width are they?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
I like those rims that you are running. What type of rims are those? And what width are they?
I'm not sure what brand they are, but the dimension are 15" by 8" wide. The backspacing is 3.75".

Last edited by J.yota; 12-14-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 PM

Got some more work done over the weekend. Deleted all the smog equipment, and went with a Weber conversion (helped a lot power wise). Did a big tune up, and now she starts easy, and runs like a champ. I was able to find a stock air cleaner adapter for the weber, so I didn't have to use the cheapo air cleaner they sent with the carb.

Name:  IMG_3149_zpseulib221.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  226.5 KB

Engine bay looks way cleaner with all the smog crap gone.

Name:  IMG_3533_zpstromfmli.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  228.5 KB
Name:  image_zpsoplalgae.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  225.6 KB

Also got the new transfercase installed, put a new transmission mount on as well.

Name:  image_zps8bump8ss.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  135.1 KB

The 4.7 gears helped a ton. Its nice to be crawling over rocks and steep hills without having to ride the clutch. I just idle over stuff now, much easier. Probably one of my favorite upgrades so far.

Next project is a stainless exhaust system later this week. I'll try to grab a few pics while she's up on the rack .

Last edited by J.yota; 12-14-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:41 PM

Ran some trails today to continue testing/sorting.

Last edited by J.yota; 01-16-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome pics, I bet those 4.7 gears make easy work out of those obstacles!