84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1985 Back to the Future Build

Old 11-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
They did a great job on the metal work!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 AM
T85

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few things I wanted to change was the front windshield trim and the fender trim and change them from chrome to black.

The fender trim was a pretty easy fix. It was removed easily and I sanded it, used Rustoleum Auto primer and Auto Black spray paint. I then hit it was Rustoleum Satin Finish and Clear Coated it for added protection. It did the job to receive the look I wanted and the satin finish gives a nice contrast to the glossy body finish.

Last edited by T85; 12-13-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:30 AM
T85

The front windshield trim was a bit trickier to change out. #1 I would have to pull off the trim, which I have no experience doing. #2 the trim was already bent in several places and pulling off the windshield, requiring some work to fix, clean up and repainting #3 finding the replacement trim in black or in usable condition was not happening. Then it was suggested by local guy who also has a Marty Mcfly Dream Truck, to use a Black Universal Molding to achieve the look. Luckly, I found a vintage car glass replacement shop nearby. In addition, the owner use to work for Toyota in the 1980s repairing the windshields to these particular trucks and was extremely familiar and knowledgeable regarding the vehicle and it parts. Before the install of the new glass and molding, I ordered a custom TOYOTA decal to slap on the windshield.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:36 AM
T85

Here are a few updated shots of the truck with the KC light covers. I still need to change out the side mirrors, paint the lower side rocker molding and change out the door handles for the exterior look. The interior needs the seats and carpet redone. Mechanically, I still need to replace the shocks and address the knuckles. But overall, I am happy with the progress so far.

The following users liked this post:
Antuan (03-15-2020)
Old 12-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Wow man your doing a great job on that. Keep up the awesome work and awesome pics.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Agreed! Really looking killer
Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 AM
T85

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Agreed! Really looking killer
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Wow man your doing a great job on that. Keep up the awesome work and awesome pics.
Thank you for the encouragement....
Old 12-15-2016, 05:34 PM
T85

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
They did a great job on the metal work!
Originally Posted by SKT

Updates look great - they did a nice job making that roll bar and I agree that the 2" diameter looks better than the original 3" one.

Awesome, thanks, I was worried how it would come out and it worked out good.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What happened to all the rust from under the windshield trim? I have never seed one that didn't have it. You must really have you a good one. Looks great! I'll grab you a set of west coast mirrors if I ever run across a good set.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:25 PM
T85

Originally Posted by Charchee
What happened to all the rust from under the windshield trim? I have never seed one that didn't have it. You must really have you a good one. Looks great! I'll grab you a set of west coast mirrors if I ever run across a good set.

Thanks for looking out. I appreciate it. I'll post if I run across them. I have a silver set, but the mirrors are thrashed and need to get new glasss cut and repaint.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this thing is so cool. I've also always wanted to build one. What needs to be redone in the interior?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:42 AM
T85

Originally Posted by bruner
Wow this thing is so cool. I've also always wanted to build one. What needs to be redone in the interior?
Interior has red seats and floor carpet....very shannzy look.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:02 PM

Smittybilt bumpers

Mate, first of all nice truck! Im looking for some information on the smitttbilt bumpers and the roll bar you've built. Im building my own Martys truck in Australia but the bumpers and roll bar were never released in Australia. Im also having problems finding exact measurements to build my own set. I was wondering it your able to help me out?
Ive still got a bit to go but gathering as much information as I can, thanks in advance.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails 1985 Back to the Future Build-img_3383.jpg  
Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 AM
T85

Originally Posted by Robbie Shankster
Mate, first of all nice truck! Im looking for some information on the smitttbilt bumpers and the roll bar you've built. Im building my own Martys truck in Australia but the bumpers and roll bar were never released in Australia. Im also having problems finding exact measurements to build my own set. I was wondering it your able to help me out?
Ive still got a bit to go but gathering as much information as I can, thanks in advance.

Rob
No problem. I can help out with what I can. Bummer you cant find them in your Country. Finding a solid set is difficult here as well. Many are rusted out, dented severely, shipping is to much or people just wont part with them. Which is the reason I had the roll bar fabricated from just picture reference. I think you will have to do the same as I did. #1 print out visual references of the roll and bumper bars, take them to a fabricator and shop around for quotes. They will need to have to ability to bend and fabrication 3inch piping. My roll bar was 2 inches, mainly because I could not find a fabricator who could do 3 inches. Once you find a place, let me know what measurements they need and I'll take them for you. Best of luck
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Smittybilt bars

Thanks for helping me out mate. I'll make up a drawing and if you could just fill in the blanks for me that would be fantastic! If you send me an email to robbie.shankster@gmail.com and I'll send them to you.
Ive got the equipment to build them

Man you were lucky to find the 5x7 KC covers, I've been looking for a set for months!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Hey man, I've just attached a few hand sketches of the measurements. Thanks again! Rob
Old 02-05-2017, 05:17 PM
T85

Originally Posted by Robbie Shankster
Thanks for helping me out mate. I'll make up a drawing and if you could just fill in the blanks for me that would be fantastic! If you send me an email to robbie.shankster@gmail.com and I'll send them to you.
Ive got the equipment to build them

Man you were lucky to find the 5x7 KC covers, I've been looking for a set for months!
That was an awsome sketch...give me a few days to get them for you.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
I LOVE IT!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 PM
T85

Originally Posted by T85
That was an awsome sketch...give me a few days to get them for you.

Rob,
I emailed you your measurements and sent along a few images so you can see the curves of the bars and how close the bumper sits to the body.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:12 PM
T85

I finally got around to working on the door mirrors. I did not realize how hard finding the west coast style mirror for this truck would be, so finding them along with the bumpers was great find. There are 2 areas I am working on. #1, the mirrors are extremely scratched up and need replacing. #2, they need to be painted black.

In tackling and disassembling the mirror. I simply used a precision flat head screwdriver and lifted up the rubber seal one section at a time and I was very cautious as to not tear or rip it. Once I had enough to get a good grasp, I slowly and carefully pulled the entire seal out until the glass popped out. The mirror had years of dirt build up. Luckily, the seals are both salvaged, still in great shape and not dried out. Next I will try to hunt down a local auto glass shop that could cut a replacement mirror. Then I will work on sanding, priming and painting up these bad boys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 Back to the Future Build